What's new

Going Minimalist

Well, after setting up my shave cabinet (this was before more acquisitions):

proxy.php

I have decided to go Minimalist. I am keeping most everything in a 50 Caliber Ammo Can, and will just change my razor and blade every 2 weeks as usual:

proxy.php

After acquiring multiple razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc... I think I am over the "hobby" phase and will just use them as the tools they were designed to be.

I won't purge, because I don't have that much and most everything fits in this ammo can anyway. The good news, with these razors and around 500 razor blades, I don't have to spend any money on shaving gear for the next 10 years (save the occasional Arko Soap and Pinaud).

Life is much simpler nows :biggrin1:

I made the same decision mid-January, about 2.5 months into my wet-shaving venture. I could easily keep buying and buying and stashing more and more equipment, but then I wouldn't get to use the things I already have and really enjoy. I only shave 2-3 times per week, so I don't need more than the 2 injectors I use (have one as a backup/traveler). I've got 500 NOS blades, good for 7-10+ shaves per blade, my one aftershave (Fine AB), one brush, one lathering bowl, two OS mugs and 31 pucks of vintage soap (Colgate Barber [24] and Williams Tonsorial [7]). I'll buy some Fine AB soap when it comes out later this month, a puck or two, and that's all I need

I'll continue to browse eBay every now and again for "Buy It Now" injector blades, but I dont need any more. I'd just jump on a good deal if I saw one

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well appointed kit! Well, maybe except for that thing between the Clubman bottle and the razor stand. But everything else looks nice.

Well appointed kit! Well, maybe except for that thing between the Clubman bottle and the razor stand. But everything else looks nice.

Ha! Love it. That Harry's razor gives a surprisingly great shave - in half the time. It's just not as "fun".

You're minimalism is double my current collection... So that means I get to acquire more! Thanks!

Very nice set up!

When someone says "minimalist" I think about one razor, one brush, one... well you know what I mean. I'm one of those guys and to be honest I really enjoy my BBS I get. After I found the perfect combo I never bought anything else, I have been using this setup for over more than two and a half years.

When someone says "minimalist" I think about one razor, one brush, one... well you know what I mean. I'm one of those guys and to be honest I really enjoy my BBS I get. After I found the perfect combo I never bought anything else, I have been using this setup for over more than two and a half years.

I could pick just one razor and pack the rest away in case it ever breaks. Heck, my $10 Feather Popular gives a great shave and I have a new one still in the package in case I drop it and crack it. My problem now is that I am somewhat attached to each of them.

I suppose I COULD go down to 1 Super Speed, 1 Krona, 1 Tech, and 1 Popular. But that would be pretty tough to do. At least I don't have a shaving "shrine" anymore - it makes for a lot less clutter in the bathroom.

I agree with your definition of a "minimalist".
When some of us find the combination that just clicks for us, having large amounts of hardware/software laying around seems silly. It's all in the individual and how he views possessions.
Yes it is true, for some it's a hobby and for others not. The thing is that every hobby costs money. I joined DE shaving because I hated shaving with a cart. I got great results and after a while I found the perfect combination.

I do have other hobbies, I love cigars and everybody knows that they are expensive. The reason why I agree with you is that many of my buddies (non-smokers) view it as a waste of money. And to be honest it really isn't. Some sticks cost 3 euro while others costs 14, it's all about enjoyment. Smoking them isn't addictive but buying them and trying new cigars is addictive.

I had many other hobbies which costed me tons of money; money was invented to spend! If you can afford it then just buy it, you only life once. Well, that's my philosophy about money.

Top Bottom