What's new

Going against the grain

Multiple passes seem to be necessary for a close shave, but each successive pass can bring irritation and exposure to more nicks, cuts, weepers, etc. It occurred to me last night that I might try going against the grain on the first pass instead of waiting until after a WTG pass and an XTG pass. I tried it this morning on the neck and below the chin and jaw and it seemed to work just fine. I'm going to try going with just one ATG pass tomorrow on the whole shaving area and maybe do a touch-up if I miss some areas. I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this, but if the ATG pass gets the closest shave result, why not start with it?

My equipment was a Merkur 34C with a Derby blade, badger brush and soap.

The exact same thought occurred to me also. My old routine used to be the usual prep followed by a single ATG pass with the Mach 3 and any required touch-ups afterwards. I only started getting into the whole multi-pass business with my foray into DE wetshaving. If one were to shave daily, would the average person be able to have enough beard growth to warrant beard reduction via the usual WTG, XTG, ATG process? If there is only minimal growth would it not suffice to simply go ATG on the first pass?

Precisely my question. My face requires daily shaving although I make no claims about having a particularly heavy growth. I work with people and I'm married, so I have to be clean shaven. It just occurred to me that if ATG gets the job done best, why not start with it and save my face the extra passes and discomfort. If I'm just going to be doing the one ATG pass and some touch-ups, I can even be a tad more aggessive with that ATG pass. I'm all for taking my time and enjoying the experience, but on days like this morning, when I had to get to work, I would normally have eschewed the 34C and whipped out the Pro Fusion. Skipping two passes and going directly to the ATG pass made the shave almost as quick as with the Pro Fusion and, of course, better in terms of closeness.

Good luck with that....I did the normal 3 pass, wtg, xtg, xtg...then i got cocky and did atg...ouch!...now I have about 6 razor bumps to deal with...hope it goes better for ya

Well, I will admit that part of it was cockiness, or, shall I say, not being intimidated by the DE anymore. It just seemed to me that the the WTG and XTG passes might not be necessary if I went with the ATG effectively first. It did seem to work. The area under the chin and jaw line is as close as I've ever gotten it, no nicks anywhere. Tomorrow I'm going to do the entire face that way. (If you guys never hear from me again, you'll know what happened.) :)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This could work, we all have different faces. I don't think it's the best way to go but if you are happy with the results, that's all that matters.

I agree with Luc. If it works for you, all power to ya.

If I tried this, it would be very very difficult. I have a very thick beard. The point of multiple passes is to prevent excessive pull, irritation etc.

If I tried this, it would be very very difficult. I have a very thick beard. The point of multiple passes is to prevent excessive pull, irritation etc.

+1. I've figured out the perfect progression for my face, and if I pull out ATG a second too early I'll tear my face to shreds.

The correct answer is, of course, "it depends." It depends on how much hair your need to remove.. I find that you're better off doing multiple passes if you need to remove a lot of bulk. If I'm going out in the evening, I sometimes will do one quick ATG pass to restore that BBS shave I did in the morning.

Regarding irritation, weepers, etc.. I think you'll find that it doesn't really have to do with how many passes, but more about your technique. One poorly executed ATG pass may rip up your face more than three progressive passes.

Ultimately, it will depend on your face and your technique. If one ATG pass is working for you, go for it!

I don't have a heavy beard and this change ended my ordeal with razor burn, at least using a DE. I found I could go ATG on my cheeks and sides of my neck in one pass and that was all I needed (BBS). I can't do this with a straight because there's too much tug/bump/push-back. I still needed to do 2 passes with a DE on the mustache and chin areas - 1 XTG or WTG and 1 ATG.

Like you, in my days of Fusion, I did just 1 ATG pass with no problems. I also went into DE fully believing the reduction process had to start with a WTG pass.
I shave every day, without fail, and on work days have found 2 passes-WTG and ATG, followed with a 3rd touch up works just fine for me. That said, it's conceivable a one pass ATG could work without problems.

David

Going ATG on the first pass would cause me great soreness to my neck, i don't think its just coincidence that nearly all DE shavers start with a WTG pass. Maybe you should try a different blade (try a feather) also check face prep and technique first as this sounds a bit drastic.

Multiple passes seem to be necessary for a close shave, but each successive pass can bring irritation and exposure to more nicks, cuts, weepers, etc. It occurred to me last night that I might try going against the grain on the first pass instead of waiting until after a WTG pass and an XTG pass. I tried it this morning on the neck and below the chin and jaw and it seemed to work just fine. I'm going to try going with just one ATG pass tomorrow on the whole shaving area and maybe do a touch-up if I miss some areas. I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this, but if the ATG pass gets the closest shave result, why not start with it?

My equipment was a Merkur 34C with a Derby blade, badger brush and soap.

I have found that all I need is an ATG pass first and then XTG. I don't need the WTG at all. So my face is less irritated because I am doing fewer passes. However, like others have noted, YMMV.

Last edited:
I used to shave NS on my cheeks and chin. SN on my neck and that was it. I have found that NS on cheeks, chin and neck, followed by XTG (roughly from ear to chin on both sides) then ATG on my neck gives a more comfortable and closer shave. As usual, YMMV. So, bottom line is do whatever works best for you.

If you're happy with how it goes then it's good.

I have a personal theory that hairs absorb water faster at the tip and it takes time to saturate them closer to the roots (being more oily there and sheltered from direct water contact.) The shorter the hair, the faster you soften it up near the root where it matters. By doing a first pass - of any sort - you not only make the hair reasonably short, you cut in a nice clean penetration point for the water*. After splashing or soaking for a while you guarantee the beard is properly prepped for the closer pass which follows.

(*) Thinking about it, a WTG pass cuts the hair at a sharp angle, giving a larger, oval, freshly exposed raw cross section of hair for the water to rush in to.

I'm probably over analyzing this, and maybe completely wrong :biggrin1: but the theory keeps me happy.

Top Bottom