What's new

Godrej Shaving Cream

Got my Godrej in the mail over the weekend and shaved with it last night.. The menthol mist is purely awesome. Great lather (slick and protective) and leaves you with that clean sensation you receive when shaving with a menthol cream!!

I look forward to giving the lime fresh a go later in the week!

I love my godrej lime
I've also been know. To make a super lather with it from a kiwi glycerin bar soap and it smells absolutly amazing my only wish was the scent hung around abut longer but most shaving creams the scent seems to go down the drain

I love Godrej (especially this past winter when Proraso was drying out my skin something fierce). My only beef is that, having been given a $.40 tube from India, it's hard to pay $5 plus shipping (from Westcoastshaving).

I've checked probably all the major Indian groceries on Manhattan but no one's stocking it. Anyone know of a place in Queens?
Patel Brothers Market in Jackson Heights (37-07 74th Street, Queens) - they have Godrej cream, all three flavors, $2.99 each -

<all the major Indian groceries on Manhattan>

How the heck can that be?! I aasumed I was having trouble getting it in the Washington, DC area because we are still something of a backwater, even given a fairly sizable population with roots in the Indian subcontinent! But Indian stores in Manhattan do not have this stuff. I am appalled to hear that. I think I paid $4 for the tube of FA by the way in Vienna, VA. It was the only shaving cream that had at that Indian grocery. I think I have heard of other Indian groceries in No. Virginia actually having Godref, but I have been to many and have not seen any yet.
also, Pasteur's on 34th St. (near Park Avenue in NYC) has Godrej, $10 each -
fwiw, they also have Shulton Old Spice shave cream -

It only says Godrej deluxe lather shaving cream, the color of the packing is purple-Bordeaux.

I used mine this morning, and I can vaguely sense the pine that you mention, but I'd not describe the cream as pine scented. All I know is that it is roughly what I'd call
:a50:THE SCENT OF MAN!!!
:a50:

That, and Speick.

I've been without Godrej for a couple of weeks now as I used up my first tube fairly fast. I just got two new ones and have now tried out the menthol mist as well. I assumed it would be more mentholly but I really enjoyed it. As did my wife who just did her first DE shave on her own :001_smile

Another +1 on the quality of Godrej shaving cream. I had a damn close shave (in the best sense of the term) with it last night. :thumbup1:

I purchase my cream in Manhattan but live in Queens and will make a point to visit the Jackson Hts. store for the other flavors.

I like the cedary scent of the Godrej "Rich Foam", but it stays on your brush forever. It remains a very good bargain, though the Menthol is my choice among the three. (Disclaimer: I don't use them anymore because I PIFed all of my supply -- I use Mom and Dad's shave soap exclusively now).

I think that's a problem with ALL cheap but amazing performing creams. Proraso tends to stay on your brush forever too. From what I know Speick also does, and sometimes stains your brush too.

These Gillette gels are exceptionally good. While they are usable with a brush, they are touted as hand applicable. They are the equal of any Indian shaving cream, and, in comparison, Gillette's own canned gels stand nowhere. The more upmarket barbers in India have started using these, and with reason.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I don't think so. It is not a canned goo. The product in question is likely this (which comes in three different varieties, and seems to be used with a brush, since it has a brush pictured on the package; this is being shipped direct from India), it's a form of tubed gel:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
No gel I've ever used is as good as a lathering cream. I use gels and foams sometimes but the creams stay slick and moist instead of drying on your face.

Try these, then. They do not behave anything like the canned gels. I have tried, and used Godrej, Old Spice & Yardley creams, with my old badger, (RIP) but these are equally good when applied by hand. Apparently these were produced by a bemused Gillette who couldn't figure out why their expensive high end shave cans were failing in the Indian market. It took them years of research before they discovered what most Indian shavers already know: Their canned gels were unable to compete as far as shave quality went.
They finally released these to try to compete. To the best of my knowledge, Gillette gel tubes are not available anywhere other than India. However, I could be wrong. At any rate, Gillette claims that they are exclusive to India.
Note: These are not the same as the non foaming tubes which are used for edging. They are very foamy, & rather lubricating. I use them now when I am in a hurry.[/COLOR] When applied by brush, they produce a large amount of lather, but you still have to work at it. But when applied by hand, the process is very fast, & if your goal is to finish your shave in 2 minutes because you are running a bit late, the result is almost every bit as good as a cream.[/SIZE]

No gel I've ever used is as good as a lathering cream. I use gels and foams sometimes but the creams stay slick and moist instead of drying on your face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried the Tabac Original today.
While the fragrance is superb, the lather is disappointing.
I normally face lather, & I barely had enough left on the brush for the (very thin) second pass.
I guess we have been spoiled by the lather of the Indian creams.
The Godrej Menthol Mist I used on saturday had incomparably better lather, but a very mild scent.
And it cools the face to the point that I doubt I'd have noticed any nicks.
Not that I had any, just sayin

Anyone else have the same problem or find their creams thin?
Gonna stick to the Indian creams for a while....

Last edited:
Tried the Tabac Original today.
While the fragrance is superb, the lather is disappointing.
I normally face lather, & I barely had enough left on the brush for the (very thin) second pass.
I guess we have been spoiled by the lather of the Indian creams.
The Godrej Menthol Mist I used on saturday had incomparably better lather, but a very mild scent.
And it cools the face to the point that I doubt I'd have noticed any nicks.
Not that I had any, just sayin

Anyone else have the same problem or find their creams thin?
Gonna stick to the Indian creams for a while....

lol - I have the opposite experience

The tabac scent needs getting used to. :)
On the lather, I use more product and it performs reasonably well. Try 1" to 1 1/2"
[won't be re-stocking though)

My godrej menthol has a "spice" note (cummin?) which I don't particular like - I love this scent in my curry but it feels a bit weird smelling on my face ;)
But I have to admit - godrej is easy to lather and great on a hot day.

Tabac cream is not known for its lather; the soap is lauded for it, on the other hand. And while I love all the Indian creams I have used (with the exception of Morisons and Park Avenue), the English creams do lather more with less product.

Top Bottom