What's new

Goat Cheese

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wow, we have some really good local goat cheeses...as well as sheep cheeses. It might, for some, take a little getting use to because of their sort of gamey tangy taste. Some are milder while some are very strong. Excellent in a salad or on a pizza. I'm going to try it in an egg frittata.

Give it a try for a change up.

Goat cheeses can be excellent. They definitely have a different flavor than cow's milk cheese, but are very flavorful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love it, love it, love it. They're especially great for those who are lactose intolerant. Forget that vegan or lactose free cheese crap, goat cheese is where it's at. Amazing with a few cranberries mixed in.

Goat's milk, for great cheese and great bar soap. :thumbup1:
proxy.php

Amazing with a few cranberries mixed in.
Truly.
Our local grocery store is small, but it has this cranberry/goat's milk cheese on the shelves.
proxy.php

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Whipped goat cheese with herbs.
JW Marriott Hill Country Spa and Resort!
EB90D2E0-79C1-42A9-AF0E-F1B3FB351A17.jpeg

The times I have tried it, I have always found it too, well, goaty. Where our place is in France, chevre is really popular and there are a number of creameries around the area making it, so it's always on restaurant menus in some guise or other, thus ruling out many fixed price lunches(!)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I tend to love cheeses made from goat's milk and sheep's milk. Keep in mind, y'all, that "goat cheese" doesn't end with the white, crumbly chevre and feta. There is a whole world of goat's milk cheese out there, and it's worth exploring, especially the ones that are aged a bit or even ripened. Just like with cow's milk cheeses, aging changes the flavor and texture and goat's milk cheeses

Humbolt Fog is fairly easy to find, and it's delicious. It's a mold-ripened cheese, although I almost never see the ripened phase extend very far into the cheese. While I don't tend to care for under-ripened cow's milk cheeses, Humbolt Fog presents a lovely contrast in texture between the ripened exterior and the dry, crumbly interior that is very similar to chevre or feta.

Tomme de Chevre isn't really ripened, although it does have a rind, but it shows what pressing and aging does to the cheese. Rather than the dry, crumbly chevre, you have a soft, creamy cheese that melts wonderfully. If you are familiar with raclette, you will find the texture similar. Aging tends to bring out the nutty flavors in just about any cheese, and this one is no exception. It's still only aged a matter of weeks (or maybe 5 or 6 months), so it also still retains the grassy, fruity flavors found in a fresh goat cheese. This one is a little tougher to find, but it's worth seeking out.

Cabrales is a blue cheese traditionally made from a blend of cow's milk, goat's milk, and sheep's milk. It's dry and sharp and one of my very favorites. It's somewhat difficult to describe, but cabrales usually reminds me of a grassier and nuttier mountain gorgonzola, maybe even a little sharper. I can usually find this cheese, but I need to go to the right store.

Picodon is another one I've had and gone a bit ga-ga over. It's both creamy and crumbly, sweet and acidic. It can be pungent and "goaty" but so well balanced that it's not a punch in the face. It's simply sublime.

America's Test Kitchen recently did a taste test of Italian Percorino Romano versus American Romano cheeses. The former is made with sheep's milk and the latter with cow's milk. I forget what they said exactly, but apparently there are big differences in the types of fats in cow's versus sheep's versus goats milk and those result is very different flavor and texture profiles.

Texlaw is right across the board. Humbolt Fog is a big favorite at my house, and I think a very sophisticated cheese. Costco around here has it at bargain prices for the quality. About $18 lb, if I recall. I have seen it in Philly for north of $30 lb at Di Bruno Brothers, a fantastic cheese shop.

Spanish Manchengo is a good example of reasonably priced, easily accessible sheep's milk cheese.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My nabors kept goats, and we'd milk them when they went on vacation. They'd give us some once in a while, and it always tasted like a male goat smelled. Seems they were giving us the 3 day old stuff, lol. When we milked them and got the fresh stuff, it was sublime.... I always wondered what it would taste like as butter or cheese. Funny thing, I'm ever so slightly intolerant of cows milk, but the goat stuff never bothered me.

<I'm ever so slightly intolerant of cows milk, but the goat stuff never bothered me.>

Not uncommon, as I understand it.

I had a house in the Ardeche once and my neighbour had goats. If you leave the cheeses to harden, they're very tasty. The French eat the older hard cheeses with plenty of butter.

Top Bottom