What's new

Gloves

I'm looking for something to keep my hands warm and still give me mobility. Any suggestions? Has anyone used the Mechanix Wear brand ones?

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves, actually meant for cyclists, but I see no reason why they couldn't be used by hikers as well. They work quite well for bike riding even in winter. And don't forget, the bike is travelling at 20 MPH or thereabouts, so there is that constant wind. Until I got the Pearls, my hand used to practically freeze after even a short ride. Only thing warmer would be a pair of expedition mitts, but there goes your mobility.

Mechanix gloves won't keep you warm. I wear Thinsulate lined leather gloves for out and about, you can find them in most department stores. 60 gram would be sufficient, 120 gram is considered very very warm.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There have been a fair few days here Alex where I've had to put on mitts because gloves just didn't cut it when out on 45 minute walks with my dog. Big honking snowmobiling mitts. I have pretty good gloves and prefer them so I'm tuned in to see suggestions.

if your gonna be semi active , i like the seals skin gloves ... waterproof and warm .. i wouldnt reccomend them if your gonna be sitting in the cold doing nothing though !!

I have two pairs, both leather. The warmer of the two are I believe elk leather and thinsulate lined. Cabelas store brand. They are nice and warm without being too bulky and have held up well for a couple years now. The other is a pair of unlined deerskin gloves that I use when I need really good dexterity like when I'm shooting and need to be able to easily feel the rim of a shotgun shell. They aren't super warm but they protect my hands from wind and are the only ones I've found with sufficient dexterity for shooting.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

What do you expect to be doing while wearing the gloves?

I would mostly use them for hiking, but I Geocache as well. I find that lately while trying to open them/look at the contents I have to take my gloves off. I would really like to find something that allows me to do this

Thanks for the suggestions so far

I would mostly use them for hiking, but I Geocache as well. I find that lately while trying to open them/look at the contents I have to take my gloves off. I would really like to find something that allows me to do this

Try some light/neoprene liners with a heavier waterproof/insulated glove. Pop off outer glove when you need dexterity of fingers without losing all your warmth.

+1 to Cynomys recommendation for the Pearl Izumi gloves. I have used the Cyclone gloves and they're great. However, keep in mind that cycling gloves usually will have gel pads located in areas around the palm for comfort. This may or may not be beneficial for hiking/general use.

Maybe check into cold weather running gloves. I was looking at a pair of North Face ones but couldn't justify the price.

The answer to your problem is glo-mitts. mittens with "pop-tops" that reveal fingerless gloves below. Warm when you want to be, and you can type in the fingerless gloves if you have to:

$Ragg-Wool-Glomitt.gif

I prefer wool for its warmth when wet, but they come in lots of variations. If you go to your local army/navy store, you can walk out with a wool pair and change back from $10.

There are some very good gloves for motorcyclists. Obviously they're made to combat the elements and since your hands are a very active part of operating the motorcycle, they maintain good dexterity. Unfortunately I can't recommend any particular glove. Since I live in Florida, the 10 days a year that it's cold, I don't ride...very far at least.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
What kind of temps we talking about? For me and I suspect the OP I'm looking at something that will handle -4F or -20C out actively walking. Any colder than this and I'm not going for a hike with my dog.

What kind of temps we talking about? For me and I suspect the OP I'm looking at something that will handle -4F or -20C out actively walking. Any colder than this and I'm not going for a hike with my dog.

Yeah, pretty much that temp is about where I decide to stay inside too.:laugh:

Top Bottom