What's new

Giving up the Goatee...

Since I was in college, I have had a goatee. Even when the only guys around with them were thirtysomething baseball players, I kept mine.

Recently, I discovered the reason. Since I was in high school, I had never been able to shave my chin, and in fact hated doing it. So I left it alone.

I had used the razor that dispenses the goo, I had used an M3, I had used all the creams, and Neutrogena gels. Shaving wasn't really something I cared about, because it was merely a duty.

Then a colleague sent me the Greenberg Manifesto. I remember at the time thinking that it all made sense, but I really didn't think too much about it, until at a Grocery store, I saw Burma Shave soap and a brush, all for under 5 bucks! So I threw it into the mix of onions and milk and green beans, my wife a bit skeptical. I bought a dollar mug at Target, and was on the ground running. I loved the feel of the brush on my face, and all the lather, but I still kept the goat.

I started reading more articles, I ditched the M3 for good news, and it worked just as well as the M3, and then, back in November, a little windfall made possible the purchase of an Open Comb Merkur Classic. Sheer joy! It felt so great in my hand - an actual precision tool! Thus, my goatee fell by the Merkur blade somewhere before Thanksgiving.

Then at a specialty grocery store - I saw Pre de Provence soap - and picked it up. Huge difference over the Burma Shave or the Williams that had recently camped out in my mug.

Then, a month ago, I bought my first badger brush - a Vulfix #2234 in black. A tube of Proraso became my entree into creams, and now I'm hooked. That cake of Provence I picked up in September is still in my mug, and it's still great.

So, here's my routine as it stands now.

I get hot water going while brushing my teeth in the morning, fill a bowl with the hot water, and dunk the vulfix into the water while I take my shower.

After the shower, I dry all but my face, run the hot water again, dump the bowl, and heat it again, with the brush in the water. One shake of the brush, then into the hard soap, or a dab of Proraso in the bowl. I set the bowl in the sink full of hot water, and start up a lather. I'm kind of working a combo of lathering on my face and in the bowl for now.

I tend to go WTG, then XTG, then ATG... but sometimes follow the Method forms.

When finished, I rinse the bowl and brush, run cold water, splashing the cold water on my face, and dabbing my face with a towel, after which I apply Nivea Replenishing Balm.

Two things I need to work on:
1) Preshave treatments. Should I bite the bullet and go with the Proraso Pre/Post or should I get a good preshave oil?
2) Aftershave stuff - is the Nivea Replenishing any good?

I'm hoping to begin a foray into mamabear and AOS cream soon, too.

Good evening and welcome.
Sounds like you've had an excellent intro, what razor and blades are you using? My own opinion of pre shave oil is fairly poor, I found it made no difference at all and clogged the razor. I know plenty of people on here rave about the nivea stuff, I find it a little too light and have to use a moisturiser as well. If you are going to try the AOS creams which I think put most of the big English names to shame I can recommend their after shave balms which I find perfect for my own needs but YMMV, I can also recommend the Castle Forbes shaving cream and balm particularly the lime. Keep us posted and have fun experimenting.

Hi

Thought I'd post as my goatee has just been given the heave-ho.

As the goatee area is so sensitive it has pushed me to really take it easy and the Proraso pre/post is a nice experience on this part of my face (both before and after). An Alum bar is always good, but I find it leaves my skin a little taut. The Proraso ASB helps with that if the pre/post isn't used after shaving.

YMMV as always! :wink:

Hey Gig I had the same experience with a cookie-duster I sported for about 20 years. It took me a whole summer to get the pigment tanned and was pretty sensitive to shaving and 18 holes of golf. You might want to try Nivea's EXTRA SOOTHING AFTER SHAVE BALM it works well. And if you go back to that specialty grocery store and see if they have WELEDA's after shave balm. It's also good stuff and has a nice scent. I use it frequently. I got mine at Whole Foods. Good Luck.

Top Bottom