What's new

Gillette's claim

While I was on amazon I noticed that Gillette put an interesting claim in their FAQ for the ProGlide, though this should apply to any multiblades really.

What is the difference between a single-, double-, triple- and 5-blade razor? Which is best?

Gillette's research has demonstrated that single blade technology, which has been applied since 1901, is demonstrably inferior to twin blade shaving systems such as SensorExcel®, and even more so to 5-blade systems such as Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide®. But the number of blades alone does not ensure a superior shave. The 5-blade shaving surface of Fusion ProGlide Manual and Fusion ProGlide Power® features progressive blade alignment, an advanced blade coating process and a flexible comfort guard which collectively provide Gillette's best shave.

http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...=UTF8&qid=1349210394&sr=8-5&keywords=proglide

That's right, they said their research demonstrated that single-blades are "demonstrably inferior" to multiblades. What do they mean by this and how did they quantify inferior? How did they even demonstrate it either. If it's anything like their unsubstantiated claim that vibration of their razors give a better shave, then that should have been something challenged as well.

Remember when shaving ads used to be just about guys trying to score with women? (Fake) science isn't fun, sexy, or humorous. Give me a razor or soap that promises me that I'll score with chicks. That's all I need to make a decision.

Attachments

• $sexy.jpg
    $sexy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 426
Knowing how lame Gillette has gotten with their stupid gimmicks in the last 10-15 years, inferior to them probably simply means any number of blades less than "5". It's the whole "More is better" marketing scheme.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 7 blade razor from them sometime in the future. What a joke that will be! :lol:

they said their research demonstrated that single-blades are "demonstrably inferior" to multiblades. What do they mean by this and how did they quantify inferior? How did they even demonstrate it either.

They are probably referring to the hysteresis effect, where one blade pulls the hair out, and the next blade cuts it before it can pop back in.
That explains 2 blades. Beyond that? Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can assure you that if you are a 1-pass kind of person, you will get a closer shave with a cartridge than a DE... that's what Gillette is selling. Can you shave with a DE in 3 minutes time from walking into the bathroom to walking out? I highly doubt it... and if you did, it wouldn't be as good of a shave as you could do in 3 minutes with a cartridge.

Better shave? no
Faster shave? yes

A lot of people today equate faster with better.

I can assure you that if you are a 1-pass kind of person, you will get a closer shave with a cartridge than a DE... that's what Gillette is selling. Can you shave with a DE in 3 minutes time from walking into the bathroom to walking out? I highly doubt it... and if you did, it wouldn't be as good of a shave as you could do in 3 minutes with a cartridge.

Better shave? no
Faster shave? yes

Well put

Better shave? no
Faster shave? yes

I completely agree. And unfortunately many people will not switch to a traditional shave because of the time. A buddy of mine started talking to me about shaving last night, and he would be a perfect candidate for traditional wet shaving. He is relatively cheap so buying 100 pack of razor blades for ~$10 is good for him. He gets very poor shaves with a cartridge as of now, he's very prone to razor burn as well as ingrown hairs, he wouldn't have either once he gets the hang of a safety razor. But the main reason I don't think he'll enjoy or commit traditional wet shaving because of the time it will take him.

In closing, I agree that many will say that multi-blades are "better" because they are less time consuming.. Sad.

The 5 blade system is actually 6 since there's one on the back.

Multi-blade systems are better than single blades if you conduct the right experiment.

Was the question regarding cost? Then the Fusion wins. The cost of a single blade is vastly inferior.
Did the experimenters test nicks and cuts per pound of pressure? Fusion wins again. I could go at my face like the razor was a plow and have zero ill effect.
Was the question regarding a single pass? My morning shaves are now 2-4 passes with 2 being the norm. My Fusion (with plenty of pressure) gave a good shave in one pass.
Was the question regarding number of batteries in the system? Fusion wins.

My Fusion was much easier to learn to use than my DE. The big reason for that was that my dad is and was an electric shaving man. Now that I have moved to a DE, I feel that I get a much better shave. Yeah it takes a bit longer. Yeah the initial costs were significantly more. Yeah my bathroom looked like a crime scene in the first few days ...... but I wouldn't go back. I can shave relatively quickly (20 minutes -- faster if I'm cleaning up a 5 o'clock shadow), I don't have an AD (yet), and while I've not mastered the DE my tricky areas are no longer a problem.

Kelly
The question I have is why do all that "research" -- are they losing money? How about some research on the poor shave you get with an electric?

The one-blade technology is mostly inferior to the other systems in making money. As for the shave, let everyone decide for themselves.

of course one pass with a De wont be as close as a cartidge razor in one pass, but one pass with a cartidge razor leaves my neck broken out and itchy for the next day and a half and upto 2 days. But 3 passes with a De and no irritation at all i think most of us would take the DE combined with the cheapness of replacing the blades

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Remember when shaving ads used to be just about guys trying to score with women? (Fake) science isn't fun, sexy, or humorous. Give me a razor or soap that promises me that I'll score with chicks. That's all I need to make a decision.
"Almost any blade is gay, when Barbasol has smoothed the way!"

I guess they won't be reviving that slogan any time soon.

Carts provide better shaves in a faster, more convenient manner. We can hem and haw all we want, but it's true for the VAST majority of men and this isn't just phony science. Gillette has men shave every day to provide feedback. THIS is what they're basing it on. It's subjective, yeah, but it's ongoing data collection from thousands of men who come in and shave.

For my sake, BBS all over is easier and faster with a cart. I shave with a DE because I wish to. Not because I think it's better.

cartridge shaves work great,i used to use schick Xtremes disposables, i just enjoy my shaves with DE and straight, its all what one decides to use- as far a fusions and expensive cartridges they are just a plain rip off

Carts provide better shaves in a faster, more convenient manner. We can hem and haw all we want, but it's true for the VAST majority of men and this isn't just phony science. Gillette has men shave every day to provide feedback. THIS is what they're basing it on. It's subjective, yeah, but it's ongoing data collection from thousands of men who come in and shave.

For my sake, BBS all over is easier and faster with a cart. I shave with a DE because I wish to. Not because I think it's better.

Exactly. Over the past 45+ years I have shaved with everything from various DE razors/blades to every cartridge Gillette has produced. IMO the best cartridge is the Trac II, and it gives me as good a shave as any DE. I sometimes use the Trac II, especially if I am in a hurry, but I mostly DE shave. I prefer DE shaving because I enjoy it, not because it provides a closer shave or is less expensive (which, at the end of the day, it is not). You can bash cartridges all you want, but there is a reason that 90% of men moved to cartridges, beginning in 1971.

Exactly. Over the past 45+ years I have shaved with everything from various DE razors/blades to every cartridge Gillette has produced. IMO the best cartridge is the Trac II, and it gives me as good a shave as any DE. I sometimes use the Trac II, especially if I am in a hurry, but I mostly DE shave. I prefer DE shaving because I enjoy it, not because it provides a closer shave or is less expensive (which, at the end of the day, it is not). You can bash cartridges all you want, but there is a reason that 90% of men moved to cartridges, beginning in 1971.

I clearly don't belong to that vast majority nor that 90% of men. I ruined my skin with every cartridge, whether by Gillette, Wilkinson, KoS or any other (house-)brand I tried and never got anything better than a SAS. No DFS, no BBS for sure. Weeks of service? Two or three one-pass shaves per cartridge and that was it.

It is when I came across my first DE in '90 (a Czechoslovakian Astra TTO) I had for the first time in my life a shaving experience with an aha-erlebnis; this was it! It was a lousy shave probably for my today's standard and, without B&B or my dad to help me (I reteached my dad to use one at age 75), it took me some time to work it out. But man, what a revelation! My skin looked and felt better by the day and the only possible alternatives I found some 20 years later because of B&B; the SE and the injector.

Sure, for a lot of men it will work good, or at lest good enough, but the point is that most (western) men don't know any better. When the Mach III or the Fusion is good for you; great, I won't try to deny that, but for me no cartridge was ever easier, hardly faster and no way close to a DE with a Derby. And I really hate Derby's!

Better shave? no
Faster shave? yes

+1: Exactly! I can get a comfortable and fast (and much more costly) shave with a Mach 3 or Proglide (they work okay on me)--but I cannot get as close a shave as I can with a DE razor. Gillette cartridge razors work fine, but in my experience none of the multiblade-cartridge systems cleave stubble as closely and as uniformly as a DE. Cartridges, Gillette-made, are smooth shaving for the most part, and if I'm in a rush, I may use one of these razors. But after about three hours I can feel stubble retuning; this doesn't happen with a good DE shave. I also found that continued use of multiblade razors I had ingrown hairs and razor bumps--again, not so with a DE razor. If it's speed and a quick pass or two with and against the grain, a multiblade will do the job. If this suits a wet shaver, have at it and enjoy it. I get a lot of pleasure, as you guys do, from the a.m. ritual of a detailed double-edge shave. Ah, the joy of it all; and the gear that goes with it.

Sure, for a lot of men it will work good, or at lest good enough, but the point is that most (western) men don't know any better.
The fact is that, prior to 1971, just about all men shaved with a DE, including me. And, like a lot of other men who made the switch to cartridges back then, we obviously did know all about DE, when making the switch. Some came back to DE, most did not. For whatever reason, cartridge shaving is much more popular than DE, and it's not because "most (western) men don't know any better". As I said, I DE shave because I enjoy it, not for any other reason.

The fact is that, prior to 1971, just about all men shaved with a DE, including me. And, like a lot of other men who made the switch to cartridges back then, we obviously did know all about DE, when making the switch. Some came back to DE, most did not. For whatever reason, cartridge shaving is much more popular than DE, and it's not because "most (western) men don't know any better". As I said, I DE shave because I enjoy it, not for any other reason.

True enough probably for your generation but not for mine; at age 48 now I never ever found a DE in any store before I found one in '90. Most men of my age and younger don't know any better; it is thanks to forums like B&B that youth and middle aged guys (like me) can see that there are alternatives. I agree cartridge shaving is more popular but that has nothing to do with the quality of the shave.

Top Bottom