What's new

Gillette toggle

Could someone please explain what this razor is and how it is regarded as i have seen a lot written about it but there is nothing in the reviews, all i know is its adjustable and has a funny looking bit on the bottom of the razor, can it be compared to anything? is it any good? are they rare? why that funny bit on the end?

Think of a Toggle as a fancy Gillette Slim, with a toggle lever at the bottom to operate the blade doors. They are generally thought of as good shavers, and are exceedingly rare, so they fetch a princely sum.

So far as I know, there's no magic in the shave gleaned from a Toggle- they are smooth, well made and nice, as are most vintage Gillette adjustables. They're primarily interesting to collectors and Gillette completists, and the occasional lucky stiff who finds one in an antique shop or unclued eBay auction.

The Toggle Adjustable is a FatBoy with a toggle lever at the bottom to operate the blade doors. Here is the instruction:

proxy.php

Thanks all, 10 mins after posting i have a reply, amazing, thanks mr razor for the very interesting instructions and all my answers answered, looks a cool little razor, thanks again.

I always wink while shaving.
:wink:

Maybe it's a skin-stretching technique. I'll have to try it this morning and let you know how it goes. I suspect the really advanced shaver can wink both eyes at the same time and get a really close shave.:behead:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I always wink while shaving.
:wink:

That's not a wink, it's a wince - he's using Merkur Blades.

The Toggle is a good shaver, but nothing particularly special.
It's attractiveness comes from it's unique look and "cool" factor, not its useability.
If your looking for an equal quality shaver for a quarter of the price, buy a nice slim.
It's nice to have one sitting on the display shelf looking back at you though.

I think the shave is quite different than that of a Fatboy or Slim. The head design, and the adjustment mechanism is entirely different. The safety bars actually move, rather than just changing the angle of the blade. It also is weighted differently.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think the shave is quite different than that of a Fatboy or Slim. The head design, and the adjustment mechanism is entirely different. The safety bars actually move, rather than just changing the angle of the blade. It also is weighted differently.

I agree the mechanism is different, for me I can't really tell the difference in the shave quality between my toggle and a slim. But as always YMMV, and each person has their own feel and sense of how each piece of equipment we use does.

Top Bottom