What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Weight differences are so small as to be manufacturers variances. It’s the same razor, everyone can get their favorite brand.

If I didn’t own any of these, I would get the Gillette. To me, it’s the best value because you get a case too and maybe the handle is a bit nicer than the lower priced Muhle and EJ options.
^^^This^^^ I've given up trying to measure and weigh my Fatip Mk2's for consistency lol.

Has anyone measured the head gap yet to compare with the R89 ? Also how does this compare to the merkur 34/38c ? I know they are same razor but 38c has a heavier handle i currently have hardly reach for it was maybe looking for a new razor

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Has anyone measured the head gap yet to compare with the R89 ? Also how does this compare to the merkur 34/38c ? I know they are same razor but 38c has a heavier handle i currently have hardly reach for it was maybe looking for a new razor
That would be interesting to find out. My suspicion is that Muhle would not retool the r89 head for Gillette on a limited run.

I never shaved with an R89 but shaved with my EJ for years. Kept it together
in one piece and shaved with the EJ this week to see how it compared to the Heritage I received yesterday.

With today’s shave, I lathered up with Proraso Red soap and used a fresh Lab Blue. Usually I find the second use of Lab Blues give me a better shave so using a fresh one put the Heritage at a slight disadvantage.

The lighter handle with the Heritage makes a big difference but also noticed the Heritage has a lot more audio feedback than the EJ and feels a little bit more aggressive. Not a lot, but I notice a difference. again, never had an R89 but was expecting an identical shave minus balance due to a lighter handle. Easy BBS achieved and no ill effects.

Without weighing them, I noticed some differences in appearance, mainly no ridge area on the sides of the top cap of the Heritage and obviously those longer brass threads.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Did not understand your statement.
Simply put, after weighing the heads, EJ (Edwin Jagger) is lighter than the germans, and is closer to the $6 chinese copies I compared.
Gottcha. I meant what you meant when you said "its" and you meant the EJ. All clear for me now. Thanks.

BTW, does Muhle make their heads or import them from China and then do the plating? I've heard it's import and plate.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Did not understand your statement.
Simply put, after weighing the heads, EJ (Edwin Jagger) is lighter than the germans, and is closer to the $6 chinese copies I compared.
There can be discrepancies in weight between heads and, or, batches. I don't believe the weight is alone is definitive. If you refer to post #403 by miguel it was stated that:

Sharpologist posted notes from his meeting with Gillette:

Notes from my conference call with Gillette reps (Archivist, Communications Manager from Gillette, PR firm):
+ Handle made in USA
+ Head made in Germany (they wouldn't say but I'm 99% sure it's a Muhle head)
+ Handle & Head made from an alloy with chrome plating
+ To be sold through Amazon only through the holidays; interest from Amazon pre-orders almost meets the level of "exceed expectations" for them
+ Not a "replica" but "heritage-inspired"
+ They acknowledge that the DE market is growing (!)
+ Trying to make a product that's "fun" for the consumer who's "starting to explore" shaving options while still providing quality & craftsmanship for the "collector or fan"

There can be discrepancies in weight between heads and, or, batches. I don't believe the weight is alone is definitive. If you refer to post #403 by miguel it was stated that:

Sharpologist posted notes from his meeting with Gillette:

Notes from my conference call with Gillette reps (Archivist, Communications Manager from Gillette, PR firm):
+ Handle made in USA
+ Head made in Germany (they wouldn't say but I'm 99% sure it's a Muhle head)
+ Handle & Head made from an alloy with chrome plating
+ To be sold through Amazon only through the holidays; interest from Amazon pre-orders almost meets the level of "exceed expectations" for them
+ Not a "replica" but "heritage-inspired"
+ They acknowledge that the DE market is growing (!)
+ Trying to make a product that's "fun" for the consumer who's "starting to explore" shaving options while still providing quality & craftsmanship for the "collector or fan"
Exactly I do not understand what the whole confusion , anxiety is.
I did weight 2 Gillettes and compared to 3 other brands....and measured them
And i rather have a German made head than a Edwin Jagger..... Oh and I shaved w them too......Check the gallery they are standing next to each other.....

And i rather have a German made head than a Edwin Jagger..... Oh and I shaved w them too......Check the gallery they are standing next to each other.....

I don’t get the anxiety either and the anxiety for lack of a logo when clearly this is a test market product. It came in a classic Gillette case.

Message to everyone in this forum, rejoice....you ALL got Gillette’s attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Raven Koenes

My precious!
And i rather have a German made head than a Edwin Jagger..... Oh and I shaved w them too......
:thumbsup: I just received my Gillette Heritage. I gave my Muhle r89 to my grandson about a month ago. I do have a couple of spare Muhle r89 heads. They are all the older zamak screw models. I do like that the Gillette Heritage has the brass screw. The build and finish are excellent. I will test it in a couple of weeks. I pretty much only shave with Fatips. I have a Fatip Nobile Black Tie lined up for the next two weeks. I don't break my OCD rotations. I'm pretty serious about that. The Gillette Heritage will make an awesome travel razor for my Dop Bag. Unfortunately the King Gillette signature imprint does not show up in the photos I took. The Photos also do not do justice.

042_30.jpg
044_30.jpg
048_30.jpg

:thumbsup: I just received my Gillette Heritage. I gave my Muhle r89 to my grandson about a month ago. I do have a couple of spare Muhle r89 heads. They are all the older zamak screw models. I do like that the Gillette Heritage has the brass screw. The build and finish are excellent. I will test it in a couple of weeks. I pretty much only shave with Fatips. I have a Fatip Nobile Black Tie lined up for the next two weeks. I don't break my OCD rotations. I'm pretty serious about that. The Gillette heritage will make an awesome travel razor for my Dop Bag.

View attachment 1035614View attachment 1035615View attachment 1035616
Very nice pictures. You will like this Gillette, but I can tell you it will not be as efficient as the Fatip (if that's OC); but compared to the Fatip CC/bar, it's similar but smoother (to my scalp). I like OC razors... Besides its a nice piece of history and the box is nice, too. Cheers and have a nice weekend.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I don’t get the anxiety either and the anxiety for lack of a logo when clearly this is a test market product. It came in a classic Gillette case.

Message to everyone in this forum, rejoice....you ALL got Gillette’s attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
:thumbsup:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Very nice pictures. You will like this Gillette, but I can tell you it will not be as efficient as the Fatip (if that's OC); but compared to the Fatip CC/bar, it's similar but smoother (to my scalp). I like OC razors... Besides its a nice piece of history and the box is nice, too. Cheers and have a nice weekend.
I use both the OC and Solid Bar Fatips. Mostly I use the OC. I really like the r89 head, and it is a nice bit of history...and box. Cheers back at you!

This new gillette is just a new handle on a 89 head.

Gillette is screwing people over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom