What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

From the pictures the Gillette razor is a bit more domed
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You’re comparing it to the wrong razor.

the razor on the left is not a Mühle it's an Edwin Jagger, probably prior to 2016. with Zamack threads.

I never said it was a Muhle on the left.
The EJ I have is the DE89 kelvin from EJ with the short handle.

I don’t have a R89...sorry

No worries. Just didn’t want others to construe the comparison as being between the Gillette head and the head made by the company supplying the Gillette head (i.e. the Muhle head).

No worries. Just didn’t want others to construe the comparison as being between the Gillette head and the head made by the company supplying the Gillette head (i.e. the Muhle head).

If you go in Muhle website, the R89 has the same notch as the DE89 on the cap. The Gillette doesn’t.

For what it’s worth, I did a side by side shave and the Gillette for me was more smoother and more efficient compared to the DE89. I use feather blades.

I got the impression you were comparing the razors as if the were the same.
sorry, my mistake.

No worries. For what it’s worth, I prefer the Gillette over the DE89 for smoothness. But that’s just me.

I find the Gillette more smoother and efficient than my EJ. I will post some photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I found that to be the same in my case also. I used my EJ leading up to shaving with the Gillette. Was expecting an identical experience minus handle weight, but it was slightly different. As I mentioned previously, don’t have the R89 for a comparison but would expect it to be an identical experience as the Gillette since the Gillette head comes from Mühle.

I did compare today the Gillette to a Razorock that has a head almost identical. I managed to do 2 pases w each , the razorock was probably less inefficient (stubble was shorter on that side) both very smooth (no blade feel) BUT to get a decent shave as I wanted, I finished with the HomeLike 0.9 CC-- that saved the day......

I guess next comparison might be w the EJ....

Now I know why I had put away the Muhle, EJ and never used RR. I think I even tried the EJ w a shim... Maybe a Feather is better than Nacet??

I found 2 shims, one is made from a blade the other from a CC....

In my experience the notch on the EJ DE89 has a slightly larger gap in comparison to the R89. For me, the heritage top cap has a notch similar in size to the Mühle R89 top cap. It's somewhat interesting to see that some people do not have the notch on the top cap of the Gillette.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I didn’t really notice any difference in the shave between the Gillette and my EJ 89. I guess there are a few minor differences, but the blade seems to have the same curvature in both razors. My EJ 89 is sporting an aftermarket handle, so it has more heft than the original, maybe that has something to do with me not noticing a significant difference in the shave.

FE1383AF-C236-4DCC-AD3E-9FD8F28BADE5.jpeg

I didn’t really notice any difference in the shave between the Gillette and my EJ 89. I guess there are a few minor differences, but the blade seems to have the same curvature in both razors. My EJ 89 is sporting an aftermarket handle, so it has more heft than the original, maybe that has something to do with me not noticing a significant difference in the shave.

View attachment 1039520
Is that WCS El Capitan handle?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Is that WCS El Capitan handle?

Probably. I was trying to remember more about it, but couldn’t, other than it was a last minute impulse purchase which may have even been free with the amount that I bought. I just know that I prefer it to the original “lined” version.

Top Bottom