What's new

Gillette Thin Blade

When I bought a razor on eBay awhile back, the seller slipped a Gillette Thin Blade in the package. It is in a red and black paper wrap.

I was going to use it, but I’m getting the impression that they don’t make these anymore, so I would be inclined to save it as a collectible.

Can anyone confirm that it is out of production?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Brazilian blades? If so, yes they are no longer made (but still can be found)

AND yes, they are fantastic!!!!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Similar, but the top two thirds band is red says thin over Gillette and the bottom band says blade.

Hello Scott, I used to use those blades exclusively, until it became really hard to find them. They are a very good blade. Most people however, dislike vintage blades. I am not sure why. I have heard all sorts of reasons why not to use the vintage blades, but very few reasons to use vintage blades.
I will tell you though, you will probably be impressed with those blades, even if you choose not to ever use them again. Good luck. And above all else, enjoy!

Hello Scott, I used to use those blades exclusively, until it became really hard to find them. They are a very good blade. Most people however, dislike vintage blades. I am not sure why. I have heard all sorts of reasons why not to use the vintage blades, but very few reasons to use vintage blades.
I will tell you though, you will probably be impressed with those blades, even if you choose not to ever use them again. Good luck. And above all else, enjoy!

I was afraid of that. I want to try it,

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Tempting isn't it. I am reluctant to try the new old stock blades. Just my fear of nicking myself and getting something horrible. However I see on this forum that quite a lot of shavers have no qualms about using new old stock blades.

I was afraid of that. I want to try it,

Won't hurt to try, and I've done so several times myself, including blades that are 91 years old. I've gotten very passable shaves from Gillette Blue blades, including one that was made in the mid-40's. When I'm using a vintage blade I carefully inspect for any signs of deterioration. Even the slightest sign of oxidation or corrosion is not good. I also have to remember not to treat it like an out of the wrapper Kai when initially starting out.

I have a Thin Blade floating around here somewhere I received in a razor purchase. If I can locate it I might toss it in for tomorrow's shave.

The Gillette Thin Blades were made for a long time and aren't particularly rare. I have a few and decided to try a couple. Surprisingly they worked pretty well. I've used some vintage Blue Blades that were not so good. Neither showed any visible deterioration.

They are available I see, on eBay. Maybe I’ll give it a try. Vintage look good on display though.

Top Bottom