What's new

Gillette tech

Alright, I've been wet shaving for a little more than a year now and I would really like to get my hands one a Tech. I've checked out all my local places for any sort of safety razors with no luck unfortunately. So I guess it's time to check out eBay now. I was just curious if any of you fine gentlemen could point me toward maybe a specific tech model and maybe around what I should expect to pay for one

Any of the older Techs are great shavers. I do prefer the triangle-slotted 'Pre-war' tech though. Mine gives me great, smooth shaves. The other techs are excellent as well.

The market seems to be all over for the prices, keep at it and you can usually get one in a user grade shape fairly easily and very affordably.

Any of the older Techs are great shavers. I do prefer the triangle-slotted 'Pre-war' tech though. Mine gives me great, smooth shaves. The other techs are excellent as well.

The market seems to be all over for the prices, keep at it and you can usually get one in a user grade shape fairly easily and very affordably.

That's kinda what I gathered from it to. Some of the same razors we're going for way different prices on eBay

Techs can be had for a reasonable price on the Bay. A friend of mine picked up one recently for $12.

My very first DE razor last year was a post-war ball-end Tech in gold from the Bay. I think I paid less than $15 shipped. I still use it regularly. Of course, now I have about 15 more vintage Gillettes. :thumbup1:

For price on the bay using the advance search to check for completed listings, searching by lowest price, and searching 'vintage gillette razor' should give you an idea of what they can be had for. I bought mine in a job lot of razors for about $10-20 a few years back and it still looks like there are quite a few techs floating around in razor or shaving lots on the bay.

I've used the triangle slot pre-war and feel it shaves nearly identically to my Fatboy set to 5 but with a more compact head profile. Definitely worth getting one for the collection.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nothing wrong with any Tech, Zamak haters back off. For two years I used a later model as a daily driver before most of 'em were born and it still looks and shaves like new.

Travel Techs will need another handle. though.

Nothing wrong with any Tech, Zamak haters back off. For two years I used a later model as a daily driver before most of 'em were born and it still looks and shaves like new.

Travel Techs will need another handle. though.

Yeah I'll take what I can get a hold of. I'm not gonna be real picky and I highly doubt I'll be rough enough with it to break it haha.

Zamak = Zinc, aliminum, magnesium and copper (kupfer) basically pot metalit's brittle and not desirable in a razor, or if you do buy it, make sure not to pay too much

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Be wary of the zamak tech though...

I have Zamak Techs that are 50 plus years old, and they still work fine. I think they will last a while longer. They shave wonderfully too. If you find one at a reasonable price, then dont be afraid to try it.

Having said that, I love the late 40's Techs... the first ones with the oval holes. Sweet smooth shavers, and will last forever too!

Top Bottom