What's new

Gillette Tech Ball-End, not Zamak if not embossed with the logo.

First, thanks to everyone who replied to my post a couple of days ago regarding the Tech flat bottom. Still hoping to get that one, but since then I've been getting sucked down the wormhole of vintage Techs and doing some homework!

I've noticed a few Gillette Techs, made in England, ball-ends on the usual sites, and based on identification photos I'm guessing it's 1950s, based on the fact that the head doesn't have the Gillette logo embossed.

Is my presumption correct that if the head isn't embossed it was made before 1963 and isn't made from zamak?

Also from my understanding the ball-ends are regarded as a decent razor worth having?

Thanks for the advice.

That is a good assumption. Having studied these different Tech heads, including destructive methods, I have found three tell-tale indicators of Zamak vs. Brass as follows:
  1. Brass caps have no embossing
  2. Brass caps have threaded posts with a flat top and no crumbly corrosion dust
  3. Brass caps have a smooth radius on the bottom side of the cap versus a ridge-line
  4. Zamak caps usually are embossed with "Gillette"
  5. Zamak caps have threaded posts with a cupped (coned) end with an embossed character
  6. Zamak caps have a ridge-line under the cap at its peak
Any yes, any of the techs are great razors worth having, whether ball end or fat handled, pre- or post-war. They are generally smooth, easy, and comfortable shavers, albeit not as efficient as others, at least for me they give a good 12 to 24 hour shave. They can be turbocharged with a sharp blade like a Nacet.

Brass (L) and Zamak (R)
IMG_7716 (1).jpg

Last edited:
That is a good assumption. Having studied these different Tech heads, including destructive methods, I have found three tell-tale indicators of Zamak vs. Brass as follows:
  1. Brass caps have no embossing
  2. Brass caps have threaded posts with a flat top and no crumbly corrosion dust
  3. Brass caps have a smooth radius on the bottom side of the cap versus a ridge-line
  4. Zamak caps usually are embossed with "Gillette"
  5. Zamak caps have threaded posts with a cupped (coned) end with an embossed character
  6. Zamak caps have a ridge-line under the cap at its peak
Any yes, any of the techs are great razors worth having, whether ball end or fat handled, pre- or post-war. They are generally smooth, easy, and comfortable shavers, albeit not as efficient as others, at least for me they give a good 12 to 24 hour shave. They can be turbocharged with a sharp blade like a Nacet.

Brass (L) and Zamak (R)
View attachment 1728674
I seem to have a mixture of those criteria. Any way to tell if mine is brass or zamak? Is one preferred over the other?

IMG_2280.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

IMG_2283.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
I seem to have a mixture of those criteria. Any way to tell if mine is brass or zamak? Is one preferred over the other?

View attachment 1777511
View attachment 1777512
View attachment 1777513
View attachment 1777514
My bet would be brass. But at that condition, it wouldn't matter!

There are quite a bit of misinformation around here.

Etched caps are most likely brass.

Internal ridge lines are not indicative of material, there are rounded and V-shaped brass caps.

Best way to find out the weight and sound. You'll get a feel for it.

Top Bottom