What's new

Gillette Sensor 3-blade disposable

On a business trip, realized I had forgotten my razor, bought a Gillette Sensor 3-blade disposable. cheap, and you can throw it away at the end of the trip.
First part of the shave went just fine: lathered up with Proraso. Picked up the razor and started to shave, using method of successive passes. Not quite as sharp as my Feather blade in a Merkur HD. I could hear the hairs being cut, and there was a bit more resistance than I would encounter from any of my DE's.
But here's the thing: after the usual number of passes, my face was smooth. And now the shocker: Proraso a/s splash. Nice bracing feeling, absolutely no sting or burn.
Throughout the day, no irritation whatsoever, and regrowth has been somewhat slower than with my DE.
Conclusion: this is one heck of a razor. It does a fine job. We can argue against it because of the cost, the environment, what have you. But the shave is absolutely top notch. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one of those or a 2 blade when I travel- does a pretty good job, but I need to shave every day (twice a day actually, but I refuse to) with it and can only shave WTG without irritation whereas a DE shave is good for 2 days.

As everyone says here, YMMV.

I use one of those or a 2 blade when I travel- does a pretty good job, but I need to shave every day (twice a day actually, but I refuse to) with it and can only shave WTG without irritation whereas a DE shave is good for 2 days.
Now Eric forgot his razor, but you apparently choose to leave your DE at home and suffer inferior shaves when you travel. I've always been curious as to why one would want to do this. Can you say what it is that makes you prefer that instead of just carrying a real razor with you when you travel?

Now Eric forgot his razor, but you apparently choose to leave your DE at home and suffer inferior shaves when you travel. I've always been curious as to why one would want to do this. Can you say what it is that makes you prefer that instead of just carrying a real razor with you when you travel?

You say that like it is such an odd choice..... Honestly, it seems odd to me to travel with a DE, depending on the circumstances. I mean, if driving, taking a train, or flying with a lot of checked luggage, it would seem odd not to take a DE. But most of the time when I travel, it is short trips, where carry-on only makes so much difference in the painlessness of the process. In that case, who in their right mind wouldn't skip the DE and go with a disposable or cartridge to save the annoyance of unnecessary checked baggage?

-Mo

I agree Eric. I use a multi blade when i travel and get very good shaves with it and even at home when i do not have enough time to shave, a multi blade is more forgiving even if proper form is not followed.

Well, I admit that I just don't think checking a bag is that big a deal. Of course, before the TSA it didn't matter anyway, you could carry on your complete toilet kit. I wouldn't dream of checking my razor and brush anyway, but carry them on. I suppose for a short trip you could get enough cream, AS, ASB, into little travel containers to fit into a quart ziploc bag, and buy some blades at a CVS or Wal-Mart at your destination. All of that seems more trouble to me than checking a bag. I also am the type that feels semi-naked without my gentleman's pocket knife and Leatherman tool, which also can't be carried on. Worst of all is the frustration of not having a really good shave.

But thanks for the insight. I almost never (pre-9/11) tried to travel with only a carry-on, and post-9/11 it got even more difficult to do so, at least for me.

Well, I feel rather naked without my pocketknife too. But after one too many half hours spent sitting on the edge of a carousel waiting for it to start.... My time becomes very valuable when I get off a plane, because I REALLY want to get moving after all that sitting around waiting. Another 15-30 minutes of sitting around waiting feels like hours to me.

-Mo

S

sullivanpm

I don't travel often for work or for pleasure.
My dad, however, does.
His solution to checking luggage is:
He ships it either overnight or a couple of days before to the Hotel where he will be staying. He makes arrangements to have his luggage place in his room.
He says its adds to the expense, but at least "you know your luggage will be there when you get there." This coming after three separate airlines lost his luggage in three consecutive months and he had to buy new clothes, toiletries, ect...

I don't travel often for work or for pleasure.
My dad, however, does.
His solution to checking luggage is:
He ships it either overnight or a couple of days before to the Hotel where he will be staying. He makes arrangements to have his luggage place in his room.
He says its adds to the expense, but at least "you know your luggage will be there when you get there." This coming after three separate airlines lost his luggage in three consecutive months and he had to buy new clothes, toiletries, ect...

Wow. I guess that is one way. Although not sure I personally trust shipping companies THAT much more than airlines to have things where they belong at the right time. Plus, that sounds really expensive. Still.... three times in a month?!?!?!?

A senior associate I worked with at one point had all his stuff lost on a flight to central america. It was a business trip, so he immediately had to buy new suits, etc. I think he spent several thousand dollars. Which the airline compensated him for. Eventually. It took months of phone calls, and a couple of letters. But they eventually came through. It did help that he was able to name drop some extremely high level government officials he had been there to meet with. Still, it was really just persistence. No matter how many times they said no, he never had the slightest doubt that they were going to pay for it.

-Mo

S

sullivanpm

I think he said its $90 to ship his usual luggage (clothes, toiletries, c-pap machine)via Fedex overnite. He says its worth it for the peace of mind + He's got the money.

I was on holiday last week and I took all my shave gear together with 2 razors, Slant and Futur. Had nothing but lousy shaves the whole time. Bathroom was tiny, no elbow room and dark. Decided to shave downstairs in the kitchen sink, better lighting, result: better but still not as good as home. It may have been the Yorkshire water, very hard water in Yorkshire. Had to wait to get home to my own bathroom, plenty of room and natural light, result: a good shave. The thing is, while I was away I was wishing I'd brought my Mach 3. I can shave hanging upside down in a bucket of pig poo with the Mach 3, but it's no fun at all, is it?
John.

I was on holiday last week and I took all my shave gear together with 2 razors, Slant and Futur. Had nothing but lousy shaves the whole time. Bathroom was tiny, no elbow room and dark. Decided to shave downstairs in the kitchen sink, better lighting, result: better but still not as good as home. It may have been the Yorkshire water, very hard water in Yorkshire. Had to wait to get home to my own bathroom, plenty of room and natural light, result: a good shave. The thing is, while I was away I was wishing I'd brought my Mach 3. I can shave hanging upside down in a bucket of pig poo with the Mach 3, but it's no fun at all, is it?
John.
Not sure which is worse, the Mach 3 or the pig poo. Both together are pretty awful!
You might try a lighted, 10X shaving travel mirror, only $15 here: http://www.razorandbrush.com/barberiaaccess.html
(I realize you will probably want to look for a source in the UK, but at least you now know what you're trying to find.)
For hard water, creams do better than soaps. You can also try bottled drinking water (not "mineral water") for the few spoonfuls you need for lathering.
Would have been happy to take your place.:biggrin: My wife and I both love York, along with nearby Durham.

John.

ahhh the hard waters of Yorkshire! The water where I live (northamptonshire) is fairly hard.

Not sure which is worse, the Mach 3 or the pig poo. Both together are pretty awful!
You might try a lighted, 10X shaving travel mirror, only $15 here: http://www.razorandbrush.com/barberiaaccess.html
(I realize you will probably want to look for a source in the UK, but at least you now know what you're trying to find.)
For hard water, creams do better than soaps. You can also try bottled drinking water (not "mineral water") for the few spoonfuls you need for lathering.
Would have been happy to take your place.:biggrin: My wife and I both love York, along with nearby Durham.

Had a lighted shaving mirror and was using cream, my own home-made stuff which is second to none, you may be right about the water though but jeez, when does it all end, what else might I need to take along? I've already got to find room for a bucket of pig poo in my little car.:001_wub:
John.

Had a lighted shaving mirror and was using cream, my own home-made stuff which is second to none, you may be right about the water though but jeez, when does it all end, what else might I need to take along? I've already got to find room for a bucket of pig poo in my little car.:001_wub:
John.
If I had to, I think I would rent a small trailer before using a Mach 3!:eek: Besides, that way you can leave the pig poo at home. And you should only need 1 or maybe 2 half-liter bottles of Evian, or even some distilled water like they sell for use in steam irons, etc. which can be bought locally.
There may have been other contributory causes, then. Maybe you were in a hurry to get out and about on vacation? Maybe different shower soap, not following your usual prep completely? BTSOM....

After 45 years of wet shaving, I revisited the DE world with a 1948 Aristocrat, Gold Tech, and several others (Feather, Derby, I Personna, etc.) and realized why I went to cartridges back when they first came out. I now use Sensor Excel blades on a heavy custom handle, along with Sensor 3 Disposables to finish. I make MANY passes quickly with no cuts or irritation. FAST, EFFICIENT, INEXPENSIVE, etc. I do enjoy my soaps and creams though which are a big factor.

This is several days late but... Treedoc basically answered it for me- when I travel (it's almost always business) I have to shave in the morning and I have to be ready fast. A DE is not condusive to me being fast as I need 2 passes minimum for a comfortible shave and requires certain creames for my face whereas the Sensor is a 1 pass WTG affair for the day with a wider array of creams, all are better for my face and take less space in the shave kit.

I can't take that for long stretches- 2 weeks is tops before my neck rebels, it's not nearly as enjoyable, and I physically have to shave every day, but that's ok for short periods where I have to be shaven everyday anyway.
(I get 2 days on a DE or DE/Straight shave)

Top Bottom