What's new

Gillette Rubie Click Razor and Blade

I am currently living in the Philippines on an extended visa from the US. I came across this razor at the local supermarket. The Gillette "Rubie Click" is a DISPOSABLE D/E razor imported to the Philippines from China. This cost me 12 Pesos which is about .25 USD. However I have seen them on line from Filipino shopping sites for as much as .50 USD. It also comes with one razor blade. It is made of plastic and very very light. Maybe lighter than the disposable two blade cartridge razors.

I have used it several times and have to admit I really like it. It is very mild with almost no gap. I have a light beard so this is optimal for me. I use a "1" setting on my Gillette adjustables. And I felt the lightness of the razor actually gave me more control with minimal pressure. I liked the Rubie blade also with no nicks or irritation.

I am not sure how long the razor will last as the hing is pretty flimsy. But of course the idea is to just use the one blade for how many times you want and then throw it all away.

The rubie blades are also sold separately and cost around .80 USD for a 5 pack which is not much cheaper and in some instances more expensive than some d/e blades you can buy on Amazon. So based on the cost of living here these Gillette blades are expensive. The Dorco blade here is less expensive at around 5.00 USD for a box of 100.

Attachments

• 20191005_165455.jpg
    20191005_165455.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20191005_165851_Burst01-1.jpg
    20191005_165851_Burst01-1.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20191005_165610_Burst01-1.jpg
    20191005_165610_Burst01-1.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 60
I am currently living in the Philippines on an extended visa from the US. I came across this razor at the local supermarket. The Gillette "Rubie Click" is a DISPOSABLE D/E razor imported to the Philippines from China. This cost me 12 Pesos which is about .25 USD. However I have seen them on line from Filipino shopping sites for as much as .50 USD. It also comes with one razor blade. It is made of plastic and very very light. Maybe lighter than the disposable two blade cartridge razors.

I have used it several times and have to admit I really like it. It is very mild with almost no gap. I have a light beard so this is optimal for me. I use a "1" setting on my Gillette adjustables. And I felt the lightness of the razor actually gave me more control with minimal pressure. I liked the Rubie blade also with no nicks or irritation.

I am not sure how long the razor will last as the hing is pretty flimsy. But of course the idea is to just use the one blade for how many times you want and then throw it all away.

The rubie blades are also sold separately and cost around .80 USD for a 5 pack which is not much cheaper and in some instances more expensive than some d/e blades you can buy on Amazon. So based on the cost of living here these Gillette blades are expensive. The Dorco blade here is less expensive at around 5.00 USD for a box of 100.
I’ve read great reviews about the Rubie blades. I think they are manufactured in Russia. I’m trying the 7 o’clock Sterling (India), a 3-piece plastic handle and metal head razor. Costs around $1. Probably will last for a long time. Want to try the Gillette click system disposable DE razors soon!

I’ve read great reviews about the Rubie blades. I think they are manufactured in Russia. I’m trying the 7 o’clock Sterling (India), a 3-piece plastic handle and metal head razor. Costs around $1. Probably will last for a long time. Want to try the Gillette click system disposable DE razors soon!

Yes I want to get some more "Rubie" blades but I am going to look around first and see what the best price I can get for them.

You can buy Chinese "metal" 3 piece Gillette styled d/e razors here for around $2.

I have some 7 o'clock "super stainless" (green box) and they are also a nice smooth blade.

I have few Gillette 7 o'clock click type razors from India. All of them have smiling blade edges once the blade is loaded. Can you post a picture of the blade edge of your Rubie click with the blade loaded?

Yes I want to get some more "Rubie" blades but I am going to look around first and see what the best price I can get for them.

You can buy Chinese "metal" 3 piece Gillette styled d/e razors here for around $2.

I have some 7 o'clock "super stainless" (green box) and they are also a nice smooth blade.
Ordering them from Russia is quite cheap for the Rubies, though maybe not as cheap as from some parts in Asia.
Yeah that Chinese 3-piece “metal” razor is the exact same as the one from India, just named different.
Have you used the Gillette Super Thin Blades it the Chinese Gillette Super Blue?

Great review!!

I found that Indian razor you mentioned at the Indian market for $4! I haven't used it yet, but I saw it for that price and couldn't resist snagging it, along with an alum block, and Godrej Menthol Mist.

I have one of those razors. I received it in a PIF when I first started shaving the traditional way. I used it once and it was alright.

I found that Indian razor you mentioned at the Indian market for $4! I haven't used it yet, but I saw it for that price and couldn't resist snagging it, along with an alum block, and Godrej Menthol Mist.
It’s definitely worth it for price you pay! Not the closest shave but by far the best budget razor out there. The plastic handle is very durable.
I never tried the Godrej shave products. Heard they are great and cheap.

It’s definitely worth it for price you pay! Not the closest shave but by far the best budget razor out there. The plastic handle is very durable.
I never tried the Godrej shave products. Heard they are great and cheap.
You heard right about Godrej. I have the Red one as well as Menthol Mist. There's a Lemon one too that I haven't gotten the chance to try. Dettol is another one that I was able to buy locally. That one is really good too. I will have to try that razor soon and see for myself. It definitely looks to be very well made.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have used one of those razors, but my stubble was too coarse for it.

Even with a sharp blade, the handle would flex, causing a smooth movement of the handle to be accompanied by a juddering movement of the head, and inconsistent angle of approach as it flexes, springs back and chops through in a scooping motion. I had to shave with my hand pressed up against the underside of the head to try to prevent this flex. A very challenging shave.

You heard right about Godrej. I have the Red one as well as Menthol Mist. There's a Lemon one too that I haven't gotten the chance to try. Dettol is another one that I was able to buy locally. That one is really good too. I will have to try that razor soon and see for myself. It definitely looks to be very well made.
Oh I didn’t know Dettol made shaving products. Is it shave soaps and shave sticks?
I ll have to purchase a Godrej shave cream on eBay or Amazon. Also I want to try the Park Avenue aftershave from India.

I have few Gillette 7 o'clock click type razors from India. All of them have smiling blade edges once the blade is loaded. Can you post a picture of the blade edge of your Rubie click with the blade loaded?

Attachments

• 20191006_192318-1.jpg
    20191006_192318-1.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191006_192009-1.jpg
    20191006_192009-1.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 31

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing with us. I have picked up several of these razors over time but I have not tried one yet. I just can’t seem to take one out of the packaging. They look too good still nicely wrapped up.

Thanks for sharing with us. I have picked up several of these razors over time but I have not tried one yet. I just can’t seem to take one out of the packaging. They look too good still nicely wrapped up.

Yes....I have already bought about 10 of them and I am going to keep about half dozen still packaged. They are still plentiful here in the Philippines but I am not sure if it is still being manufactured because I noticed some of the stores that ran out of inventory of this razor never replaced them.

Oh I didn’t know Dettol made shaving products. Is it shave soaps and shave sticks?
I ll have to purchase a Godrej shave cream on eBay or Amazon. Also I want to try the Park Avenue aftershave from India.
They make a couple of shaving creams. They lather really well.

Top Bottom