What's new

Gillette Rocket

R

romsitsa

Hello,

after the discussion in the new acquisition thread, did any of you ever see a British razor called Rocket before the Rocket HD?
All I could found is this, it’s called a new Rocket set or Anniversary set, depending on the year:
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/O...52 (X1) Anniversary Set No52A nickel head.JPG

This razor is also called Rocket and was produced in England, but there are no British ads for it:
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1949 Rocket.JPG

The closest things I found are a Canadian ad for a Rocket, just as pictured above and several British ads for Aristocrat Jr. razors (No. 53).
After the No. 53 came the No. 58., nothing else. We know that No. 53 could come with gen 3 or gen 4 heads, so is it possible, that:
The red/transparent cased Rocket was a Canadian “exclusive”?
The same razor was called Aristocrat Jr. in England and the first razor for the British market called “Rocket” was the HD Rocket?

Thanks

Adam

R

romsitsa

Browsed through newspaper ads, the “standard” Rocket is called a Rocket in Canada, but nowhere else. It appears in 1949, when the similar Aristocrat junior appeared in the UK.

Adam

the first british Rocket call that I´ve seen is the 1953 Ad for a Rocket HD:

proxy.php

R

romsitsa

Looking again, Anniversary sets have the earlier case, where the blade pack is tucked behing the razor not underneath it. I’m quite sure now the “slim” Rockets are not Rockets but Aristocrat Juniors, except they were sold in Canada. Like the No 58 can be an Aristocrat Jr. if sold in Australia.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my 1950 Gillette Rocket HD500 Double Ring Superspeed made in England, I was very lucky to get one into my den and I really enjoy the shave.

R

romsitsa

This is the one that came after the HD, basically the "Parat"?

Adam

the first british Rocket call that I´ve seen is the 1953 Ad for a Rocket HD:

proxy.php
That's interesting. They use the name "Rocket" and "Superspeed" in an ad for the same product.
But then, they usually hyphenate it to "Super-Speed".
*later*
:detective: Hmm... this ad is using "Superspeed" as an adjective, not as a noun. They probably applied it (as an adjective) to any razor with a notched bar for the quick-loading dispenser.

BTW - I have a British Aristocrat Junior, and it's one of my favourite razors.

R

romsitsa

Hello David, the name and case differs, the razor is the same.

Adam

Top Bottom