What's new

English Gillette Razors Identification Help Requested.

Greetings colleagues!

After nearly 8 weeks of agonising, I have pulled the trigger on two English Gillettes that had been on offer on a certain bidding site.

They appeared to have slipped under the radar, and it was a straight offer, with no bidding nonsense.

2 vintage Razors, 1 Gillette Rocket HD and 1 flat Bottom Tech Razor. | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275243247076

I believe the first to be an English Rocket HD from 1953-54. I very much hope it is.
proxy.php

The second appears to be a Gillette Tech, although I have no idea as to the type. It states it is a Flat Bottomed Tech?

I have had good ale taken, and expect the wrath of all the furies to descend on my head in the morning. Re: Mrs Ladd.

I can only state in my defence that I was a successful participant of the July GRUME.

Any insights would be very welcomed!

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The first indeed looks like a Rocket HD which is a very fine shaver with the usual smooth English TTO action, and rightly highly regarded by many; I would weigh it to be sure of the identification. The shorter handle will suit you I think. The other might be a mismatch, I am not sure that is a Gillette handle but I am usually wrong. I don't know much about Techs so cannot be be much help but as you know it is often the case which determines the specific set. You will enjoy that Rocket, I look forward to reading your review👍

I spoke to the seller earlier about the Rocket. Nice guy. It seems to be the aluminium handled, weighing in at 57gms.
proxy.php

It looks a very clean example so I am looking forward to using it. A English TTO will be a nice addition.

The British Flat Bottom Techs were offered in these two handles, I believe:

View attachment 1504314
Also in the package was this lovely 40's Gillette Flat Bottom Tech head.

I would like to acquire one of the above handles to complete it, but I am unsure as to availability.

A very good little collection for £40!

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions, and background.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I spoke to the seller earlier about the Rocket. Nice guy. It seems to be the aluminium handled, weighing in at 57gms.
proxy.php

It looks a very clean example so I am looking forward to using it. A English TTO will be a nice addition.

Also in the package was this lovely 40's Gillette Flat Bottom Tech head.

I would like to acquire one of the above handles to complete it, but I am unsure as to availability.

A very good little collection for £40!

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions, and background.
I'm really loving shaving with my British Flat Bottom Tech..... mild but fairly efficient. It's a fun razor to use for me, personally.

Very nice score, congrats...I was on eBay.uk and was a bit surprised at what I thought was a large number of vintage razors for auction. Of course there was an Aristocrat and case, no year, model etc but it was a "Very Rare Razor" for 999pounds sterling.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great find. I think you'll find the aluminum handle model quite a nice unit, congrats. @Alum Ladd

Some oddball handle on the Tech but that's OK, you're really only after the head, which looks good.

It is a non-Gillette handle on the Tech. I have seen this lot pass by a couple of times and I think the seller mentioned the handle issue in his description. The head is a EFBT indeed. Just use a fat handle and Bob’s your uncle.

The Rocket looks swell too! Nice one @Alum Ladd !

Guido

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Greetings colleagues!

After nearly 8 weeks of agonising, I have pulled the trigger on two English Gillettes that had been on offer on a certain bidding site.

They appeared to have slipped under the radar, and it was a straight offer, with no bidding nonsense.

2 vintage Razors, 1 Gillette Rocket HD and 1 flat Bottom Tech Razor. | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275243247076

I believe the first to be an English Rocket HD from 1953-54. I very much hope it is.
proxy.php

The second appears to be a Gillette Tech, although I have no idea as to the type. It states it is a Flat Bottomed Tech?

I have had good ale taken, and expect the wrath of all the furies to descend on my head in the morning. Re: Mrs Ladd.

I can only state in my defence that I was a successful participant of the July GRUME.

Any insights would be very welcomed!

Very nice razors Alum Ladd! I like the look of the ball end teck's myself. Your razors look in good shape. Hope you like them!

Top Bottom