What's new

Interesting patina on a Gillette Aristocrat

I picked up this Aristocrat for $39. I thought it was an okay price and looked to be in decent shape. It looks great for its age. I’d say it’s definitely a user grade but the patina is so interesting. There seems to be brass, this reddish orange gold color and nickel on this razor. The nickel looks to be on the bottom of the razor, edges of the doors and the caps. The reddish orange gold color is more so on the knurling. It’s interesting looking and is what drew me to the razor.

Is this is normal patina? Is it a frakenrazor? I haven’t shaved with it yet but it looks pretty good. I’ve noticed when the doors are open, the knob is a little loose. Pushing the knob up the doors extend a little bit more.

Looking at pictures from mr-razor it looks to be a 1947. The stamping on the bottom on mine looks like this one: http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pi...t light brown case red satin inlet lining.JPG

Thanks for any help!
6D4E2DA2-5905-4D9D-AD10-BD301A3CC3AD.jpeg
F9B6E09F-8E65-4C65-9CEB-DEA8F05D792D.jpeg
740F6775-F615-48E3-9372-3C70CA783FDE.jpeg
E73DE9BC-EF63-4C19-A3F2-83E2F5F6255F.jpeg
F0B428DF-DC38-4F04-BC12-1EC0C62BFB67.jpeg
FF22B0CE-7026-421D-A622-D280424A815C.jpeg
6FE4E36A-4D3C-49B7-89F6-E0F366576A48.jpeg

Nice razor.

Pretty sure the base metal is brass, plated in nickel, then plated with a thin layer of gold. Yours may be showing all three: the gold top layer, worn to the nickel layer in some areas, and the darker spots where the nickel has worn to the brass.

My best guess. 🙂

I have one that looks similar to yours, and another that is mostly still gold except for the doors and end caps that are silver (nickel). I thought about getting it re-plated in gold, but kinda like the two-tone look...for now anyway.

Nice razor.

Pretty sure the base metal is brass, plated in nickel, then plated with a thin layer of gold. Yours may be showing all three: the gold top layer, worn to the nickel layer in some areas, and the darker spots where the nickel has worn to the brass.

My best guess. 🙂

I have one that looks similar to yours, and another that is mostly still gold except for the doors and end caps that are silver (nickel). I thought about getting it re-plated in gold, but kinda like the two-tone look...for now anyway.

Yeah I’m really liking the look of it haha. I think it looks pretty cool.

They often applied a lacquer to the gold wash. Over time the lacquer turns an orange color.

Oops. I had no idea! Is that stuff really easy to take off? Im pretty sure remnants were floating around in my solution of hot water and Dawn while it was soaking. I am also I’m pretty sure I took some off while I was scrubbing with a nylon brush 😅

I figured well, it would’ve came off anyway so I’m not too upset about it. It is what it is!

The lacquer does not normally wash off but will come off when polished. Be careful if you polish as the gold wash was very thin and will polish off easily. I never polish my gold razors, just wash in warm water and dawn dish soap.

FYI, a "frankenrazor" is one that takes individual parts from different razors and uses them together.
While not impossible to do with a TTO, I can't say I've ever heard of one of the wild. You're usually talking 2 or 3 piece razors where the pieces are made to be taken apart.

Top Bottom