What's new

Gillette Platinum - I like 'em

I know that GSBs get more love, but I gotta say that I am really enjoying shaving with a Gillette Platinum right now. I do understand that there are different Gillette Platinums and I couldn't tell you which one I have. I got it as part of the GBE. But I really do like it. And I would say that I like it better than the only GSB that I have tried. I'm not surprised that I like it, though, because I have also heard it said that it's similar to the King C. Gillette blade, and I love that one. Right now KCG, Wizamet, and PolSilver are my favorites that I have tried, but I like the Gillette Platinum - a lot.

Which blade are you discussing? Gillette Platinum Light Blue or Dark Blue? I've compared and found the Light Blue to be identical to the King C Gillette, and seen others reporting the same.

1667154484577.png

1667154611450.png

You think you could tell the difference in a blind test?
On the initial shave probably not. But I get a few more shaves from the GSBs (two weeks) than the Gillette platinums (probably won’t go more than a week). Both are great blades for me though. I usually change a blade every week (on Sundays) whether it needs to be replaced or not

I recently purchased 100 of them. I find they are smooth and sharp and deliver a nice close comfortable shave. Just the way I like it!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I don't have one favourite blade but I've got four that seem to work for me, and all seem to work in my small collection of razors. In no particular order

Gillette Platinums
Gillette Nacets
Gillette Silver Blues
Gillette Perma Sharps

I've tried a lot of other blades Feathers, Bics, Derby's, Lab Blues and more. But these are my favourites

I have used almost every Gillette Platinum ever made - Platinum (GB), Platinum Plus (USA), 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Rus), 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (India), Nacet Platinum (Rus), Rubie Platinum Plus (Rus), Platinum white box (Rus), Platinum white and blue box (Rus), Platinum blue box (Rus), Minora Platinum (Rus) and Swedes.

The only ones I don't like so much are the blue box from Russia. They irritate my skin. I will try them in a different razor.

The Indian 7 O'Clock Super Platinum aren't a patch on the Russia ones that are no longer made. I get three shaves from the Indian one but the blade has noticeably degraded by day three. The Russian version gives me at least six shaves with milder degradation by day 6. Day 1 and 2 are great, though.

In terms of current production blades, the white and blue box are probably the best (assuming they aren't existing stock having been replaced by the blue box). The white box are just as good (and seem to be the same blade to me) but they are difficult to find. All mine came from Spain.
You should try to get your hands on a tuck of the now discontinued GPPs made in Brazil. They are the tip of the pyramid, IMMHO.

Top Bottom