What's new

Gillette Open Comb Razor

Good evening,
I came across a very old Gillette Open Comb razor that my Father shaved with many, many years ago. It is a very short, gold plated razor with an open Comb but no name, other than Gillette. It is stamped with "Made in the U.S.A" and has several patent numbers on it, including a "reissue" patent number.
My question is this: being a Newbie, should I avoid shaving with this razor due to the aggressive nature of an open comb. Your opinions are appreciated, as always!

Good evening,
I came across a very old Gillette Open Comb razor that my Father shaved with many, many years ago. It is a very short, gold plated razor with an open Comb but no name, other than Gillette. It is stamped with "Made in the U.S.A" and has several patent numbers on it, including a "reissue" patent number.
My question is this: being a Newbie, should I avoid shaving with this razor due to the aggressive nature of an open comb. Your opinions are appreciated, as always!
Photos please!

from the re-issue reference, I suspect it is a Gillette New, which were made from the early 30's on to 1945-6 I believe.

Open combs are not necessarily 'aggressive'. They are often highly efficient razors. I would certainly shave with it. Many newbies back in the day did! Just keep a light pressure and keep the angle shallow as you get the hang of it

It may be a Short or Long comb. This is due to the size and placement of the teeth. The long has longer and more curved teeth like this Otto Roth / Gillette (a brand of Gillette which it subsumed)
proxy.php

Last edited:
Photos please!

from the re-issue reference, I suspect it is a Gillette New, which were made from the early 30's on to 1945-6 I believe.

Open combs are not necessarily 'aggressive'. They are often highly efficient razors. I would certainly shave with it. Many newbies back in the day did! Just keep a light pressure and keep the angle shallow as you get the hang of it

It may be a Short or Long comb. This is due to the size and placement of the teeth. The long has longer and more curved teeth like this Otto Roth / Gillette (a brand of Gillette which it subsumed)
proxy.php

I have 4 different American made open comb Gillettes with reissued patents.

One is a New Short Comb which shaves less closely
than any of my other DE Gillettes.

The others are Goodwills, 160, 162, and 164.
The 162 and the 164 are based on the Old Type.
The tops of the base plates are curved.
The 160, which is my favorite open comb,
is based on the New Long Comb.

Photos please!

proxy.php
Here is the picture of my razor. You will notice the Patent Numbers are the same. The main difference is Gillette is stamped on the base plate. Based on all the posts, I think I will give this razor a shot with a very mild blade, and paying close attention to my technique. BTW, I love the "Alum Ladd" name. Classic!
20230829_182926.jpg
20230829_182926.jpg

Here is the picture of my razor. You will notice the Patent Numbers are the same. The main difference is Gillette is stamped on the base plate. Based on all the posts, I think I will give this razor a shot with a very mild blade, and paying close attention to my technique. BTW, I love the "Alum Ladd" name. Classic!View attachment 1709732View attachment 1709732

That's a New Short Comb.
I have that exact same razor.

Some additional reading if you're interested:

Another vote for get stuck in and use it - razors are made to be used not sit on a shelf looking pretty
I would also say in my limited experience that aggressive simply means efficient
Like any razor treat it with respect,look after it,observe proper technique

Most of all
Enjoy the shave

Top Bottom