What's new

Gillette & Old Spice

What a rip off. The old spice only costs $1 to $2 SGD per tube. The gillette, before they stopped selling it, costs $3 SGD tops.

That's why I hate buying creams and blades off the internet. I don't want to pay 1st world country prices.

I rarely do, unless I really want to try something or if a $5 tube of cream prevents a $14+ shipping bill due to free shipping minimums. Especially with TJ Maxx affiliates selling proraso soaps and creams for $4-$5 and the Gillette Pure cream (same base as Indian + menthol and peppermint) in local stores for $6.

Last edited:
I rarely do, unless I really want to try something or if a $5 tube of cream prevents a $14+ shipping bill due to free shipping minimums. Especially with TJ Maxx affiliates selling proraso soaps and creams for $4-$5 and the Gillette Pure cream (same base as Indian + menthol and pepper) in local stores for $6.

All these prices are just crazy to me. Thankfully, singapore is a 3rd world country according to donald trump. So I'm happy paying 3rd world prices.

If you ever come to singapore, go to mustafa and haniffa and knock yourself out with cheap creams, blades and omega brushes.

I paid less than 10 Euro for the 30g of Old Spice Regular and Gillette Regular shave cream along with the Gillette shave brush, including shipping.
Here’s an honest review:
Both soaps lather fast! Both soaps have great slickness.
On lather and slickness I’ll give a 4/5.
However, the scents are EXACTLY the same! They aren’t unpleasant, but it’s just a regular soapy scent (a bit medicinal too).
I expected some sort of scent to complement the brand; this wasn’t the case.
Therefore, I’ll give the scent a 1.5/5.
It’s not bad, but definitely not what I was hoping for when I ordered Old Spice and Gillette. Plus they are literally the same cream. Maybe it’s because they are both produced by the same company in India?
Now the brush.
Although it has no backbone and looks prickly in the photo, it is extremely soft and smooth as advertised! It smells exactly the same as the soaps before even trying it out.
It’s good for shave creams and for painting the lather on the face, it’s very comfortable, however compared to a traditional shave brush it is quite different and weak (it flattens almost 100% when pressed perpendicular to the face, I guess it’s appropriate for really sensitive skin).
I’ll give the brush a 2.5/5. It works as described and is great for its price. More comfortable than really cheap boar brushes, although making a lather from a hard soap would be probably impossible.
I’d probably not recommend any of the above items unless you buy them locally for 1-2 Euro per piece.
Shipping was fast though, only two weeks!

Last edited:
I rarely do, unless I really want to try something or if a $5 tube of cream prevents a $14+ shipping bill due to free shipping minimums. Especially with TJ Maxx affiliates selling proraso soaps and creams for $4-$5 and the Gillette Pure cream (same base as Indian + menthol and peppermint) in local stores for $6.
Gotta love TJ Maxx!

I got hold of some Cool Wave aftershave to compare and it's more or less the same as the Indian Gillette shave gel's scent.

It's a good scent... Gillette no doubt had some focus groups testing this scent out. I am not usually a Chypre fan but this is a fresh Chypre scent, not like something like Aqua Velva. It's really exhilarating in the morning.
Walgreens sells the Gillette Cool Wave. Will have to try it sometime.

I dont think Dettol is similar to Godrej. I am probably splitting hair but Godrej is more slick. Godrej used to make Lanolin based cream couple of years back and it was the top of the heap. Present offerings are adequate but as a soap user I have hard time appreciating general lack of slickness in creams.
Recently I heard about this Godrej Cinthol Shave + Face Wash, 2 in 1 Shaving Cream & Daily Facial wash | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Godrej-Cinthol-Shave-Face-Wash-2-in-1-Shaving-Cream-Daily-Facial-wash-/174061450802
Cinthol is another sub-brand of Godrej, late to the grooming party but I guess they are trying to pitch it as more 'upmarket'.
Since the Gillette and Old Spice were quite disappointing I really wanna try both the Godrej and Dettol creams. Cinthol sounds a bit too mentholated.

Those are made in india creams. They used to be sold here locally for really cheap so I hope you didn't pay too much for them.
Less than bucks shipped for all three. Not worth it, though it’s nice to add a Gillette brush to the shelf although I’ll almost never use it.

What a rip off. The old spice only costs $1 to $2 SGD per tube. The gillette, before they stopped selling it, costs $3 SGD tops.

That's why I hate buying creams and blades off the internet. I don't want to pay 1st world country prices.
Plus the quality of the Indian Gillette and Old Spice suck! I bet local brands like Godrej, Park Avenue and Dettol work way better and have a much nicer scent.

From the US based 'reputable vendors' a 70g tube of India old spice cream is anywhere from $5-$9 US and unless you meet a free shipping minimum will cost you another $3-$5 to ship. Most people here seem to get them off eBay but when I look they are usually $3-$6 per tube and even if it comes with free shipping it's usually directly from India and takes 6-8 weeks to arrive.

It's funny, we all wish we could walk into a corner store and get a stick of la Toja, tube of proraso, or tube of old spice cream for a buck or two like you can in their countries of origin yet I frequently read posts from people in places like India who wish they could walk into a corner store and get a can of barbasol for a buck or two lol.
I’ll be sticking to local stores like TJ Maxx and Ross’s. They always have good sales on items like Proraso or Duke Cannon. Shipping costs are very high, especially from Europe.

All these prices are just crazy to me. Thankfully, singapore is a 3rd world country according to donald trump. So I'm happy paying 3rd world prices.

If you ever come to singapore, go to mustafa and haniffa and knock yourself out with cheap creams, blades and omega brushes.
Third world prices are always great.

Plus the quality of the Indian Gillette and Old Spice suck! I bet local brands like Godrej, Park Avenue and Dettol work way better and have a much nicer scent.
Try Yardly and Vicco creams too if you are at it. If you like highly scented cream then Yardly Gold is the one to try. Vicco is very old and trusted brand here and some wet shavers swear by it.

Try Yardly and Vicco creams too if you are at it. If you like highly scented cream then Yardly Gold is the one to try. Vicco is very old and trusted brand here and some wet shavers swear by it.
Thanks I’ve heard great reviews of Yardley products. Will check them both out.

Of all the indian creams I've tried godrej menthol and vicco are the best. Godrej has lanolin in it so it should make your skin smooth. Vicco has turmeric in it and it's supposed to help in skincare in some way.

Another brand to avoid is supermax (bangladeshi version). You might as well be lathering with shampoo than with this.

Of all the indian creams I've tried godrej menthol and vicco are the best. Godrej has lanolin in it so it should make your skin smooth. Vicco has turmeric in it and it's supposed to help in skincare in some way.

Another brand to avoid is supermax (bangladeshi version). You might as well be lathering with shampoo than with this.
Haha that’s hilarious I guess supermax must be a pretty terrible brand. I heard certain U.K. stores sell supermax items.

Top Bottom