What's new

Gillette & Old Spice

I have no idea what they are 😂

They are less questionable than using boric acid.

Phenoxyethanol is found in roses and it's antimicrobial (which is why rosewater really doesn't need preservatives). It can sometimes present a skin sensitivity issue, but it's downright mild compared to boric acid.

I double checked and you are right. Websites reporting it has boric acid are incorrect. The new preservative system is based on phenoxyethanol and methylisothiazolinone.
I have no idea what they are 😂

They are what Gillette uses in the US Pure cream. If you like the Gillette regular cream, the pure cream smells and perform almost the same and the menthol/peppermint combo is very light if that isn't your thing... Less then proraso white.

With a good preshave like Proraso, Old Spice seems to perform fairly well. That's what I shaved with this morning. On it's own, it's just fair.

The scent of Old Spice shave cream isn't exactly like the vintage aftershave. It's milder, less clove, and has more of a generic barbershop spice scent. It's probably been subject to the general reformulation P&G has done of it's products in the past few years, to comply with various regulatory standards. Still, I do like the scent and it's not really like the face napalm that a splash of Old Spice would be.

Last edited:
They are less questionable than using boric acid.

Phenoxyethanol is found in roses and it's antimicrobial (which is why rosewater really doesn't need preservatives). It can sometimes present a skin sensitivity issue, but it's downright mild compared to boric acid.
Well I’m glad there’s no more boric acid that sounded quite harsh

They are what Gillette uses in the US Pure cream. If you like the Gillette regular cream, the pure cream smells and perform almost the same and the menthol/peppermint combo is very light if that isn't your thing... Less then proraso white.
The Regular Gillette shave cream from India doesn’t contain menthol right? I thought it just smelled like the Classic Gillette shave foam. Either way, I don’t mind a bit of menthol. I definitely have Gillette Pure on my list of shave creams to try out

With a good preshave like Proraso, Old Spice seems to perform fairly well. That's what I shaved with this morning. On it's own, it's just fair.

The scent of Old Spice shave cream isn't exactly like the vintage aftershave. It's milder, less clove, and has more of a generic barbershop spice scent. It's probably been subject to the general reformulation P&G has done of it's products in the past few years, to comply with various regulatory standards. Still, I do like the scent and it's not really like the face napalm that a splash of Old Spice would be.
Glad to hear, I don’t mind if it doesn’t smell exactly like the Old Spice aftershave. As long as it’s pleasant 😊 I tried a local drugstore pre-shave oil and although it worked fine, it didn’t go well with the lather of hard shave pucks I use. I don’t necessarily need pre-shave but next time I’ll be going for a proraso pre-shave or something similar that is creamy.

Glad to hear, I don’t mind if it doesn’t smell exactly like the Old Spice aftershave. As long as it’s pleasant 😊 I tried a local drugstore pre-shave oil and although it worked fine, it didn’t go well with the lather of hard shave pucks I use. I don’t necessarily need pre-shave but next time I’ll be going for a proraso pre-shave or something similar that is creamy.

I'm not as fond of oils as preshave, either.

I'm still experimenting with different products.

The Regular Gillette shave cream from India doesn’t contain menthol right? I thought it just smelled like the Classic Gillette shave foam. Either way, I don’t mind a bit of menthol. I definitely have Gillette Pure on my list of shave creams to try out

No, it does not.

The Indian Gillete shave gel smells somewhat like Green Irish Tweed. I've never used Gillette gel/cream products before so I can only guess that's a fairly common scent in Gillette products.

The Indian Gillete shave gel smells somewhat like Green Irish Tweed. I've never used Gillette gel/cream products before so I can only guess that's a fairly common scent in Gillette products.
Well that does sound like a nice scent. I’ll have to wait and see. Especially since these products are locally made in India they might have quite a few differences from the regular American or European Gillette.

Well that does sound like a nice scent. I’ll have to wait and see. Especially since these products are locally made in India they might have quite a few differences from the regular American or European Gillette.
Although your heart is set on Indian Gillette and old spice cream but I can recommend Godrej creams to be an improvement over both.
If menthol creams are your calling; Godrej menthol and Dettol Cool are the one you might want to look at. Dettol cool is moderat in menthol even though Godrej menthol will not set your teeth on chatter either.

Although your heart is set on Indian Gillette and old spice cream but I can recommend Godrej creams to be an improvement over both.
If menthol creams are your calling; Godrej menthol and Dettol Cool are the one you might want to look at. Dettol cool is moderat in menthol even though Godrej menthol will not set your teeth on chatter either.
I just received my order in the mail. I only got 2x 30 grams of shave creams just to try it out. I’ll definitely have to try out the Grodej heard a lot of good reviews plus it really moisturizes the face. Is Dettol similar to Godrej?

I dont think Dettol is similar to Godrej. I am probably splitting hair but Godrej is more slick. Godrej used to make Lanolin based cream couple of years back and it was the top of the heap. Present offerings are adequate but as a soap user I have hard time appreciating general lack of slickness in creams.
Recently I heard about this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Godrej-C...Shaving-Cream-Daily-Facial-wash-/174061450802
Cinthol is another sub-brand of Godrej, late to the grooming party but I guess they are trying to pitch it as more 'upmarket'.

I got hold of some Cool Wave aftershave to compare and it's more or less the same as the Indian Gillette shave gel's scent.

It's a good scent... Gillette no doubt had some focus groups testing this scent out. I am not usually a Chypre fan but this is a fresh Chypre scent, not like something like Aqua Velva. It's really exhilarating in the morning.

Those are made in india creams. They used to be sold here locally for really cheap so I hope you didn't pay too much for them.

Those are made in india creams. They used to be sold here locally for really cheap so I hope you didn't pay too much for them.

From the US based 'reputable vendors' a 70g tube of India old spice cream is anywhere from $5-$9 US and unless you meet a free shipping minimum will cost you another $3-$5 to ship. Most people here seem to get them off eBay but when I look they are usually $3-$6 per tube and even if it comes with free shipping it's usually directly from India and takes 6-8 weeks to arrive.

It's funny, we all wish we could walk into a corner store and get a stick of la Toja, tube of proraso, or tube of old spice cream for a buck or two like you can in their countries of origin yet I frequently read posts from people in places like India who wish they could walk into a corner store and get a can of barbasol for a buck or two lol.

From the US based 'reputable vendors' a 70g tube of India old spice cream is anywhere from $5-$9 US and unless you meet a free shipping minimum will cost you another $3-$5 to ship. Most people here seem to get them off eBay but when I look they are usually $3-$6 per tube and even if it comes with free shipping it's usually directly from India and takes 6-8 weeks to arrive.

It's funny, we all wish we could walk into a corner store and get a stick of la Toja, tube of proraso, or tube of old spice cream for a buck or two like you can in their countries of origin yet I frequently read posts from people in places like India who wish they could walk into a corner store and get a can of barbasol for a buck or two lol.
What a rip off. The old spice only costs $1 to $2 SGD per tube. The gillette, before they stopped selling it, costs $3 SGD tops.

That's why I hate buying creams and blades off the internet. I don't want to pay 1st world country prices.

Top Bottom