What's new

Gillette NEW LC Common Bar

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I found one of these at a local antique store. It is gold-plated with lots of plate loss and lots of green on the handle. It could clean up nicely, but the owner wants $49 (case included). That just seems really steep to me. Am I missing something? I have an OLD (1918) that I enjoy.

Let's not get into values, gents.

Seems like a little bit of footwork in our BST may be worthwhile.

Hannah's Dad

The question ‘am I missing something’ followed by ‘I have an OLD that I enjoy’ is a poorly-worded attempt at getting some comparison feedback. Forgive me for quoting the asking price.

The question ‘am I missing something’ followed by ‘I have an OLD that I enjoy’ is a poorly-worded attempt at getting some comparison feedback. Forgive me for quoting the asking price.

Not directed at you specifically, and mostly just a friendly reminder before things headed that direction.

Hannah's Dad

Not directed at you specifically, and mostly just a friendly reminder before things headed that direction.
Thanks for the kind reminder. I did RTFM a while ago, but at my advanced age, I forgot that prices are taboo. Much obliged.

Thanks for the kind reminder. I did RTFM a while ago, but at my advanced age, I forgot that prices are taboo. Much obliged.

Never mind all of that, now, let's get back to the larger issue: getting a NEW.
Everybody needs to find a nice NEW to add to their collection. While I could never honestly proclaim any razor a "favorite", NEWs are definitely at the top of the heap for me. My long comb is probably the most-used, as I don't usually do an across-the-grain pass (the LC doesn't hold the blade as rigidly as the other models of NEW). I've tried a Deluxe and a short comb, and they are definitely more rigid, which provide for better ATG passes.

I find OLDs to be just the smallest bit too aggressive for daily use, for me. If I shaved every 36-48 hours, they'd be just right. A NEW LC I can happily use every 24-36 hours. For continued comparison, I could use a Tech every 20-24 hours.

Hannah's Dad

Never mind all of that, now, let's get back to the larger issue: getting a NEW.
Everybody needs to find a nice NEW to add to their collection. While I could never honestly proclaim any razor a "favorite", NEWs are definitely at the top of the heap for me. My long comb is probably the most-used, as I don't usually do an across-the-grain pass (the LC doesn't hold the blade as rigidly as the other models of NEW). I've tried a Deluxe and a short comb, and they are definitely more rigid, which provide for better ATG passes.

I find OLDs to be just the smallest bit too aggressive for daily use, for me. If I shaved every 36-48 hours, they'd be just right. A NEW LC I can happily use every 24-36 hours. For continued comparison, I could use a Tech every 20-24 hours.
Great insight. Thank you. I don’t understand why an ATG pass is dependent upon blade rigidity, though. Can you elaborate on that please?

Great insight. Thank you. I don’t understand why an ATG pass is dependent upon blade rigidity, though. Can you elaborate on that please?

Many of us with thick/ dense/ coarse beards find that a razor that doesn't hold a blade rigidly will tend to have some chatter and flex in the blade, which is particularly exaggerated by the ATG pass. Blade movement can cause irritation of the skin, or even weepers.
@rabidus is well-studied in this, and explains it well. I think @Esox up there is a big proponent of rigid razors, too. If you do a little searching of their posts, and "rigidity" in general, there's probably much better explanations of the whole thing, with interesting experiments along the way. It's all pretty good reading.

Of course some guys can get great shaves using the jagged edge of a rusty soup can lid, so it's all relative, I guess.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Can you elaborate on that please?

Looking at the below pictures paying attention to how the base plate supports the blade, which do you think would give the smoother ATG shave.

EJ/Merkur left, Rockwell center, or the Wolfman WR1 right.

P1160333.jpg 2ngvbf6.jpg WolfmanWR1.png

The less a blade can flex, the more rigid the design of the razors head, and specifically, the base plate. When shaving ATG the less rigid the design, the higher the chance of that unsupported edge flexing, skipping and causing weepers.

Some will disagree and counter that the blade cant flex upwards. I say it can. The edge itself doesnt flex per se, but the blade being only .004" thick it can flex, no matter how little, at the apex between the edge and the clamping surfaces. When the blade flexes, it stores energy only to be released when the load on it lessens, causing irritation, blade stutter and even weepers. The more rigidly that edge is held, the less it can flex, the more efficiently it can cut, and its been my experience that the more rigid the edge the smoother the shave, especially ATG.

Not everyone needs an extremely rigid design. I'm one of those that do. I shave every 48 hours as a rule. I shave mainly with a Fatip Grande. One pass directly ATG and best case, a single light clean up pass over my neck for a BBS shave.

I just finished such a shave with a Gillette NEW SC, another extremely rigid design. Long story short, it worked out to around my usual 2 1/2 pass shave, but done entirely ATG this time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Am I missing something? I have an OLD (1918) that I enjoy.

Purely my own personal opinion here. I owned a NiB condition Gillette NEW LC Palmolive. I couldnt get that razor to BBS my two trouble spots either side of my adams apple, even with a shim installed.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

I gave that razor to my nephew and he also had issues with it ATG. He moved to a Gillette Single Ring, and then to a 1936 Gillette Sheraton and rotates between them.

To answer that question, theres only one way to find out if a NEW LC will work for you. It does for many, but it didnt for me.

Gillette OLD types have virtually no gap to speak of.

The NEW SC has been referred to as "an OLD type with gap" as it has .023" gap.

See the pics below. NEW SC base on the left, NEW LC base on the right.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpg

Below again, Fatip Grande, similar to the Gillette OLD type, and the NEW SC. Showing the gap, or lack there of in the case of the Fatip.

IMG_2111.jpg IMG_2114.jpg

The Gillette OLD type, the Fatip family and the NEW SC are extremely rigid designs. Only the NEW SC differing as it offers blade gap, where the others do not.

Last edited:
Thanks @Esox , you lay it all out nicely.

For the record, my OLD and Schone definitely get my tricky spots around my throat down to a BBS much more efficiently than the NEW LC that I like to use, but as I said, I don't usually go for a BBS shave, so it's a moot point.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks @Esox , you lay it all out nicely.

For the record, my OLD and Schone definitely get my tricky spots around my throat down to a BBS much more efficiently than the NEW LC that I like to use, but as I said, I don't usually go for a BBS shave, so it's a moot point.

Thanks!

Yep, to each their own. I'm a bit obsessive about the BBS shaves now I can finally get them lol. In all my years of using the Gillette Sensor, SensorXL, electrics and my Mach 3 I've never had the BBS finish. Nearly so, but none of those razors were even remotely as comfortable, nor as efficient as a nice DE. The right combination BBS's me so easily its astonishing.

I will say that if I didnt personally want that BBS finish, the NEW LC I had I would have kept. It really was and still is a fantastic razor, it just wouldnt do what I wanted from it.

That in no way means someone else shouldnt use one. It may end up being their top favorite and I could certainly understand why.

Hannah's Dad

Thanks for the thorough analysis. It really helps my decision-making. I think for me it’s ‘in with the OLD, out with the NEW.’

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the thorough analysis. It really helps my decision-making. I think for me it’s ‘in with the OLD, out with the NEW.’

You're welcome :)

If you'd like to try something a little different, try a Fatip Piccolo. For the modest $20 cost, you could do a lot worse, and being solid Brass, it'll last.

Hannah's Dad

You're welcome :)

If you'd like to try something a little different, try a Fatip Piccolo. For the modest $20 cost, you could do a lot worse, and being solid Brass, it'll last.
Great suggestion...and ironically I was just snooping around their website a couple of days ago.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Great suggestion...and ironically I was just snooping around their website a couple of days ago.

Of the DE razors I own, my Fatip Grande is in no fear of ever being replaced by another razor. I cant say the same of my other DE's. I enjoy my NEW SC and my Gillette Regent and I'll never part with them, but I honestly have no urge to use them or any others over my Fatip.

Top Bottom