What's new

Gillette New Improved Tuckaway

I acquired a Gillette New Improved Tuckaway recently (a very lucky pickup off the Bay) and finally got around to cleaning it up. Gave it a whirl last night. Boy is this a wonderful little razor! It has a bit more blade feel than the later 3-piece Gillettes, but finding the angle was intuitive and it shaves very smoothly. I got an incredibly close 2-pass shave with zero irritation. Suffice it to say, I think this razor has found a new home.

Anyway, I'm wondering who else out there uses a New Improved -- interested to hear your thoughts and observations. @kingfisher , I know you started a similar thread a couple of years ago, any updates?

Here's a photo of mine (the little metal case it came in is not pictured):

20210820_213645.jpg

Separate question:
I don't have a ton of experience interpreting serial numbers from that era of Gillette razors. Mine reads '405795A' -- am I correct in concluding that this was produced in 1921?

References I was using:

20210821_114306.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nice razor! I had and recently sold here on B&B, a silver 1921 made in England New Standard. A lovely razor but even with a mild blade it was too aggressive for me especially ATG on the upper lip; the most aggressive Gillette I have tried. It was one of those that I really wanted to work for me because it was so nice to look at, but it was not to be.

Nice razor! I had and recently sold here on B&B, a silver 1921 made in England New Standard. A lovely razor but even with a mild blade it was too aggressive for me especially ATG on the upper lip; the most aggressive Gillette I have tried. It was one of those that I really wanted to work for me because it was so nice to look at, but it was not to be.

I wonder if there's a chance the English-made versions were slightly more aggressive than their American cousins. Mine is certainly more aggressive than later 3-piece models I have (e.g. NEW SC and LC), but doesn't feel excessive. I normally prefer milder razors in general.

Also, I suppose choice of blade may factor into this too, given the blade feel. Something told me Treet Platinums would work well for me in this razor (it seems this bore out to be true).

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wonder if there's a chance the English-made versions were slightly more aggressive than their American cousins. Mine is certainly more aggressive than later 3-piece models I have (e.g. NEW SC and LC), but doesn't feel excessive. I normally prefer milder razors in general.

Also, I suppose choice of blade may factor into this too, given the blade feel. Something told me Treet Platinums would work well for me in this razor (it seems this bore out to be true).
It is possible - the English Red Tip razors certainly have a wider blade gap than their US equivalents; I cannot think why that might be the case.

Treet blades are great! I use them all the time.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I acquired a Gillette New Improved Tuckaway recently (a very lucky pickup off the Bay) and finally got around to cleaning it up. Gave it a whirl last night. Boy is this a wonderful little razor!

Anyway, I'm wondering who else out there uses a New Improved -- interested to hear your thoughts and observations.

Yep, I have two (gold and silver plated) and find them more solid feeling than my Old Types and more blade feel than my New short and long combs. I do like the New DeLuxe much more but I have gotten my Tuckaways out many, many times over the last ten years.

full

Re-educating myself on the Tuckaway....

Did the Tuckaway also come with the NEW head (insofar as coming from Gillette...I realize you could swap heads on your own) Or just the Old Type head?

Thanks for any insight.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Re-educating myself on the Tuckaway....

Did the Tuckaway also come with the NEW head (insofar as coming from Gillette...I realize you could swap heads on your own) Or just the Old Type head?

Thanks for any insight.
The Tuckaways shown in this thread have the New Improved head. Two guide posts and a thicker flat section (not curved like Old Type) on the base plate. Different than the NEW Tuckaway, which I believe had a straight bar handle. Although perhaps a little scarcer, some were also made with the New Deluxe head (no posts showing).

The Tuckaways shown in this thread have the New Improved head. Two guide posts and a thicker flat section (not curved like Old Type) on the base plate. Different than the NEW Tuckaway, which I believe had a straight bar handle. Although perhaps a little scarcer, some were also made with the New Deluxe head (no posts showing).
THanks. I guess I mixed up the NEW head with and without posts.

I've seen one I would like to possibly purchase (NEW head without posts) but would hate to buy something that is just a creation of the seller instead of actual production by Gillette.

I acquired a Gillette New Improved Tuckaway recently (a very lucky pickup off the Bay) and finally got around to cleaning it up. Gave it a whirl last night. Boy is this a wonderful little razor! It has a bit more blade feel than the later 3-piece Gillettes, but finding the angle was intuitive and it shaves very smoothly. I got an incredibly close 2-pass shave with zero irritation. Suffice it to say, I think this razor has found a new home.

Anyway, I'm wondering who else out there uses a New Improved -- interested to hear your thoughts and observations. @kingfisher , I know you started a similar thread a couple of years ago, any updates?

Here's a photo of mine (the little metal case it came in is not pictured):

View attachment 1315132
in retrospect theses are good shavers, if you apply proper technique and great blade along with good prep it can compete with the best of them.

nemo, you are correct on the straight bar....as always a keen eye.

in retrospect theses are good shavers, if you apply proper technique and great blade along with good prep it can compete with the best of them.

I've used the Tuckaway frequently over the past few months and I'm getting great shaves with it -- honestly it might be my favourite razor that I own right now.

Top Bottom