What's new

Gillette NEW Deluxe - 15mm vs 17mm, which one do you prefer?

Awesome!

The difference might be small, but apparently it does change things! That's a great pic, Doc. I can clearly see the difference in width. :thumbup1:

Can't wait to test this combo tomorrow, today I didn't shave. :tongue_sm

I measured the caps backs back in January before I sent the one that felt the best off to Chris E. I can't find my measurements or my micrometer right now, but the below picture shows the 17mm between the two 15mms. The 15mm caps look a little wider to me, and the standoffs (corner tabs) look a little bigger. I thought the standoffs on Doc's 15mm looked a little bigger, too, but then that is counter to the findings with a tabless cap! I have a headache...
$Deluxe Caps.JPG

That's interesting, because Doc's 17mm cap is wider. I know this is far from accurate but I think it's visible even without the green lines.

$Caps.jpg

I wouldn't expect invariability, not from Gillette. :lol: That's why I mentioned before that I think the baseplate/cap pairing would have been a random thing. That lack of homogeneity surely makes things a bit muddier, but at this point there's no doubt in my mind that the caps are indeed responsible for the different performances.

Curvature might have something to do with it as well, but how are we supposed to accurately measure that ... I have a headache too, better just enjoy the razors! :lol:

That's interesting, because Doc's 17mm cap is wider. I know this is far from accurate but I think it's visible even without the green lines.

View attachment 571875

I wouldn't expect invariability, not from Gillette. :lol: That's why I mentioned before that I think the baseplate/cap pairing would have been a random thing. That lack of homogeneity surely makes things a bit muddier, but at this point there's no doubt in my mind that the caps are indeed responsible for the different performances.

Curvature might have something to do with it as well, but how are we supposed to accurately measure that ... I have a headache too, better just enjoy the razors! :lol:

So, some 15s have wider caps and some have narrower caps? Which means that the different experiences by B&B members might be explained by which cap their 15 has?

So, some 15s have wider caps and some have narrower caps? Which means that the different experiences by B&B members might be explained by which cap their 15 has?

Yes, that's what I was thinking, Doc.

Even Porter agrees that we can remove the baseplates from the equation, so that leaves us with the different caps.

Doc already said it, but my test today also confirmed - the cap of the 15mm did change the performance of the 17mm baseplate. Slightly smoother, and efficient as always. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Great detective work, Edgar. Another mystery solved. I feel kinda dumb for never noticing that the baseplates are functionally identical, but lots of other guys missed it, too.
Tomorrow I'm going to shave with a Big Boy Deluxe to celebrate!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What a Great post ,I just read it again and learned more about The Deluxe Family :thumbup:
Great Job Edgar and Doc and everyone else :thumbup:
$IMG_4391.jpg$IMG_4390.jpg

I have a user grade 17mm Deluxe. Serial number 79756. Great razor and I love the design of this type of razor.

However, I got ahold of a New Improved head (tuckaway style) and have fallen in love with it.

So, now I'm searching for a New Improved in the full size version. Would love to find a trade with someone looking for a 17mm Deluxe.

$IMG_2246.jpg $IMG_2240.jpg $IMG_2243.jpg $IMG_2244.jpg $IMG_2245.jpg

I have a user grade 17mm Deluxe. Serial number 79756. Great razor and I love the design of this type of razor.

However, I got ahold of a New Improved head (tuckaway style) and have fallen in love with it.

So, now I'm searching for a New Improved in the full size version. Would love to find a trade with someone looking for a 17mm Deluxe.

Why do you like the New Improved more?

Better shave? Smoother?

I have posted the above Deluxe Criterion on the B/S/T . I want to trade it for an RFB.

i found the New Improved I was looking for..

Sorry for reviving this 6 year old thread but I have my eye on one that I saw online to give as a gift but I don't know much about this razor other than what I've read on this thread. Is there a way to tell if a cap from a 15 mm is the wider one or the narrower one just by looking at a photo of it? Or possibly even a mismatched cap?

R

romsitsa

De Luxe caps are more defined and a tad thicker than New caps. 15 mm baseplates were part of Red&Black sets, cobbled together from spares, so getting a De Luxe cap is close to 50-50.

Top Bottom