What's new

Gillette NEW Deluxe - 15mm vs 17mm, which one do you prefer?

Thanks for starting a very interesting thread here, Edgar. I've really enjoyed reading it. I don't have either so I really have nothing to add, except that you all have some beautiful razors and I'm subscribed! :thumbup:

Hey Bill, thanks! :001_smile

Ok I'll bite. I have tried both and still own two 17mm De Luxe Razors. I have the chrome Criterion and the chrome Norfolk Tuckaway. I think I like the 17 more than the 15 because they are chrome versus gold. Ha. I am not a big fan of gold. My 15mm Red & Black set was in poor shape and I sold it off. I actually could not really detect a real big difference between the two. They both shave extremely well so I kept the pretty ones. I actually use the Tuckaway head w/ a ATT Atlas several times a week. Great efficient razor! I suppose you can't go wrong with either but I don't think I have ever seen a 15mm in anything but gold. Deal breaker! :lol:

Really? You prefer the 17mm just because it's chrome plated? Come on man, that's not even a valid reason! :tongue_sm:lol:

Seriously though, I'd love to find a chrome (silver would be awesome) 15mm, but I don't think they exist. :blushing: Those are beautiful examples, thanks for sharing the pics! :thumbup1:

Btw, should I bin this piece of gold plated junk? :lol:

$CAM02506.jpg

I took a close look at mine and it's definitely 15 mm. I love it, but I've never tried the 17 mm model.

@Chronarch, if they actually seemed different to you, and you preferred the 15 mm version, you could get the 15 mm one replated in nickel or chrome (I realize you said you couldn't really tell the difference, but for the same of anybody else out there, replating could solve the aesthetic problem.)

@Edgar, don't throw it away; that's not good for the environment. Send it to me right away. I know the proper method of disposal.

Last edited:
I have two of the 17mm varieties. One is a three piece and the other is a Criterion/Belmont. Now I guess I need to track down a 15mm.

I thought I had finally managed to quell my RAD. I haven't even looked at ebay in about a month... Thanks Edgar... Haha

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431780310.425915.jpg

Here are my two, in the middle obviously. I don't have a picture of just the two of them, and I'm in the middle of a move. They're carefully packed away so I can't get a picture of just the two of them right now.

Hey Bill, thanks! :001_smile

Really? You prefer the 17mm just because it's chrome plated? Come on man, that's not even a valid reason! :tongue_sm:lol:

Seriously though, I'd love to find a chrome (silver would be awesome) 15mm, but I don't think they exist. :blushing: Those are beautiful examples, thanks for sharing the pics! :thumbup1:

Btw, should I bin this piece of gold plated junk? :lol:

View attachment 571758

i knew my answer would be controversial. Ha. I would absolutely keep and use any razor that looked like yours! Ha. That's what gold is supposed to look like. My 15mm was more brass/brown/black w/ green highlights. Ha. I will also add that I actually preferred the 17mm slightly more (smoother to me) but it might have been in my head because of the aforementioned lame reasons.

i knew my answer would be controversial. Ha. I would absolutely keep and use any razor that looked like yours! Ha. That's what gold is supposed to look like. My 15mm was more brass/brown/black w/ green highlights. Ha. I will also add that I actually preferred the 17mm slightly more (smoother to me) ....

Finally, there is someone in my camp!:w00t:

I have both and most recently shaved with the 15mm and my recollection is that it is smoother than the 17mm. Hard to pin point but it is there and is simply less "harsh" though the 17mm is not "harsh" in the usual sense. There is that much difference. Pics. later

View attachment 571774

Well, no wonder. These are different models looking closer, The Deluxe and Standard. Both great but not the comparison we are talking about here. I still like the 15mm in this comparison but like both and when comparing New Deluxe the 15 still wins. I had a BRW handle to go with the 15mm replated head by BRW I purchased recently.

WOW ... that 15mm head/BRW handle combo is absolutely stunning! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing!

Finally, there is someone in my camp!:w00t:

Alan also prefers the 17mm! :thumbup1:

Thanks for starting a very interesting thread here, Edgar. I've really enjoyed reading it. I don't have either so I really have nothing to add, except that you all have some beautiful razors and I'm subscribed! :thumbup:

+1. The pictures and write up are fantastic. Now I have to try and convince myself that I don't need more razors. :lol:

Late, again! I have been shaving my face with replaceable blades, cream or soap, and a brush, since 1960. I almost never nick myself, and any ingrowns have been attributable to a duller blade. I believe my definition of smooth may be more forgiving than some others'. I do not find the NEW Deluxe, in either variation, to be an aggressive razor - therefore, smooth. Efficiency, closer and longer laster lasting, is critical to me. I find both of the NEW Deluxes to be smooth AND efficient, but the 15mm is slightly more efficient (in terms of how close and how long until the next shave).

I tried each of the three I have (two 15mms and one 17mm) with each others' caps and have noticed no difference. My micrometer is packed up right now, but by eyeball, and next to each other, the three caps look to be the same height and width. Still, I prefer the 15mm, and so I packed one off to Chris E. for a bright nickel replate. Left to right, below, are the 17mm, a 15mm, and the Chris E. 15mm (their original handles are behind, but I use a heavier handle with each one in beard combat. The 17mm came in a Red and Black set with the square shouldered bar handle, and both 15mm came with the extended tuckaway-look handle.
$Deluxes 1.JPG$Deluxes 2.JPG

I plan to compare a 15 and 17 today after switching the caps. There does seem to be a tiny difference in width. The 17 cap is chrome plated.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431796609.972857.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431796630.614113.jpg

Nice pics, guys. Great thread.

I shaved with my 15 mm NEW Deluxe this morning, mounted on a Tradere handle (just because I could). Wonderful shave with a Feather on its 4th day. No harshness at all. Smooth as glass.

I love this razor. I actually kind of like the gold look. It's the only gold razor in my stable. I may consider having it sent off to Chris for a gold replate at some point.

I didn't personally notice a large amount of difference between them. But I'm with you, Edgar: any noticeable difference in their shave really has to come from the caps. There's really just nothing about the guard plates that would change their shaving characteristics, as far as I can tell. Just like your photos show, it's really only the difference of how the gaps in the comb are cut into the blank. All of the "difference" is up off your face and doesn't change the blade in the razor one bit.

Great pics, BTW. :thumbup1:

So, Doc ... how's the 17mm baseplate + 15mm cap combo?

I didn't personally notice a large amount of difference between them. But I'm with you, Edgar: any noticeable difference in their shave really has to come from the caps.

Before viewing Edgar's pictures in this thread, it never would have occurred to me that the shaving difference is due to the caps. However, after shaving with the caps switched, I'm completely convinced. The difference in width is very small, but apparently it is enough.
The tabless cap is basically the same width as the cap from my 17mm razor, but I'm not sure the curvature is the same.

$IMG_0792[1].jpg

Top Bottom