What's new

Gillette Nacet...not a fan!

Nacets are just ok to me. Although I find a way to like almost all blades. Accept Merkur

If you can use most blades other than Merkur (which I find to be horribly dull), you do not need the sharpness of a Nacet. Nacets are designed for use by those with really tough beards; that is why they bear the alligator/crocodile logo.

If you can use most blades other than Merkur (which I find to be horribly dull), you do not need the sharpness of a Nacet. Nacets are designed for use by those with really tough beards; that is why they bear the alligator/crocodile logo.

+1! Anything that can cut an alligator is sharp!! :a29:

After rereading this thread, I decided to tee up a Nacet for tomorrow!

(Will let you know if my high opinion changes.)

Need? I guess I’m in a way lucky to be able to use almost any blade. I like sharp. I like smooth. This doesn’t help with me buying way too many. I think they’re designed for me the person who just has fun with all.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you have a Gillette Tech, like my 1962 one, hopefully your mileage will be as good as mine was with the Nacet.

They get smoother after the first shave. It might be interesting to see how many shaves you get from one Nacet.

I think there must be something to the "mild razor + sharp blade" equation. I usually use a straight razor, but I'll try to keep the DE route for a while to see how long the Nacet lasts.

They get smoother after the first shave. It might be interesting to see how many shaves you get from one Nacet.

I get one good but slightly bite-y first shave from a new Nacet, followed by 2-3 excellent, drama-free shaves. I always toss after that, never tried to push a Nacet past 4 and don't see the point, at its cost level.

If you've ever shaved with a vintage Gillette THIN from the 40s, you might agree:
I think the Nacet is exactly what the THIN felt like fresh out of the wrapper in 194x (we can certainly romanticize)
I got a couple of Gillette thins & recently tried one. It was great for about 3 shaves. Having heard of people stropping DE blades (which I thought was BS) I decided to try it. Stropping restored the blade edge & the next 2 shaves were like new. I was able to strop 4 more times before moving on to a new blade. I've tried stropping stainless blades & it doesn't work. Also got some Treet Black Beauties, also carbon blades & stropping after several uses doesn't make nay great improvement.

I used one today. Great shave. Maybe I’m actually getting better at this scraping the whiskers of my face thing. lol
I did use GD Luxor and WK King of Oud AS. That helps any blade.

I think the original poster jinxed me!!!. I am a LOVER of Nacet...., then yesterday I used one (2) in an R41... it was jumpy....(wasn't using a top soap), anyway, I did NOT want to cut my scalp or face so switched to RR OC.84 w Personna Israeli #2.

Will have to re-examine that Nacet R41 combination..... Nacet has worked w all my other razors, and probably w R41... maybe this was a defective blade or I had a bad day.

Result , still great shave and NO blood.

I got a couple of Gillette thins & recently tried one. It was great for about 3 shaves. Having heard of people stropping DE blades (which I thought was BS) I decided to try it. Stropping restored the blade edge & the next 2 shaves were like new. I was able to strop 4 more times before moving on to a new blade. I've tried stropping stainless blades & it doesn't work. Also got some Treet Black Beauties, also carbon blades & stropping after several uses doesn't make nay great improvement.
This is good info. I always strop my blades on the palm of my hand. I feel it smooths them out before the next use.

I think the original poster jinxed me!!!. I am a LOVER of Nacet...., then yesterday I used one (2) in an R41... it was jumpy....(wasn't using a top soap), anyway, I did NOT want to cut my scalp or face so switched to RR OC.84 w Personna Israeli #2.

Will have to re-examine that Nacet R41 combination..... Nacet has worked w all my other razors, and probably w R41... maybe this was a defective blade or I had a bad day.

Result , still great shave and NO blood.
Astras, while some of my favorite blades, only perform well in about 9/10 razors for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I found rough shaves with Nacet, until the were "corked" by my face!

Three shaves in, they start behaving - and then last longer than others!

Next I try one, going to cork it - with an actual cork, not my beard.

AA

Hello all. I tried my first Nacet today and found it very, very nice. No weepers and no irritation. I am a mild razor guy. I use a fatboy on 2 and found this blade to work well for a DFS. It is up there with my favs of Astra Platinum and Gillette 7 black.

I do think my technique is getting better which would lead one to believe sharper blades may work well for me. At some point soon, I shall try a feather blade.

Hello all. I tried my first Nacet today and found it very, very nice. No weepers and no irritation. I am a mild razor guy. I use a fatboy on 2 and found this blade to work well for a DFS. It is up there with my favs of Astra Platinum and Gillette 7 black.

I do think my technique is getting better which would lead one to believe sharper blades may work well for me. At some point soon, I shall try a feather blade.

+1! Your technique is definitely improving!! :a29: :a29:

Nacets work great for me also: sharp, smooth and long-lasting!

I find the 'harshness' of Nacets is somewhat mellowed by using good quality shaving creams in preference to using shaving soaps

Top Bottom