What's new

Gillette Nacet...not a fan!

. But I swear I saw the edge of the Nacet was ground uneven...if you looked at the blade from the flat side the edge looked like a wave. Maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks on me.

desighned that way to wave goodbye to your stubble your chin and your cheek all in one swoop.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. Because Nacets are quite sharp, they are one of my preferred blades. However, they are not the smoothest blades. I find that I can use them in mild-moderately aggressive razors without irritation as long as a use a top quality shave soap with plenty of slickness and cushion. I also have to shave with the appropriate shave angle and minimal pressure. Because they are so sharp, they should be avoided by those whose shaving technique needs improvement. If you lose concentration during your shave, they will draw blood.

YMMV is definitely the rule, especially for blades!

For me Nacets are great when paired with a mild/moderate razor, but that’s me! :clap: :clap:

I suggest that you try a few different razors. If that does not work, then PIF or trade on BST!

Nacets work great for me! B plate in Karve, .68 Game Changer, Feather, Gillette 41 Ranger, Rocket.
All of these are MILD razors. The blade is sharp and smooth.
It is up there with my Wizamets, Polsilvers, 7 O'clock Yellows.

Just received a 100 from Jordan. Took about 3 weeks but worth it.

Lurchbrian, you are right!

I thought I would never actually RECEIVE the order and was looking for another source when they showed up.
Had a GREAT shave tonight with one in my Gamechanger .68

I'll admit I don't know much about DE shaving...yet! But I know this much. Blades (of any kind, not just razor blades) are so YMMV that personal reviews are almost worthless. Almost. Like movie critics, you almost have to find someone who likes what you do, for the same reasons, and go from there. Your Nacets, my 7 o'clock, it doesn't matter if 2/3 of the world loves them. If they don't work for you, they don't work for you. Nothing wrong with that. It's why there's like a million different blades out there. Get a few more posts and start trading.

I've been using tools of one kind or another professionally my whole life. I'll let this bit of wisdom/experience go. The absolute best tool (screwdriver, table saw, gun, blade, anything you use to do a job) has 3 things in common. It works, you're comfortable using it, and it's close at hand. I have personally given people back Snap-On tools and gratefully picked back up my worn comfortable Harbor Freight versions. No shame from either of us. It's just our milage varying.

I'll admit I don't know much about DE shaving...yet! But I know this much. Blades (of any kind, not just razor blades) are so YMMV that personal reviews are almost worthless. Almost. Like movie critics, you almost have to find someone who likes what you do, for the same reasons, and go from there. Your Nacets, my 7 o'clock, it doesn't matter if 2/3 of the world loves them. If they don't work for you, they don't work for you. Nothing wrong with that. It's why there's like a million different blades out there. Get a few more posts and start trading.

I've been using tools of one kind or another professionally my whole life. I'll let this bit of wisdom/experience go. The absolute best tool (screwdriver, table saw, gun, blade, anything you use to do a job) has 3 things in common. It works, you're comfortable using it, and it's close at hand. I have personally given people back Snap-On tools and gratefully picked back up my worn comfortable Harbor Freight versions. No shame from either of us. It's just our milage varying.

Whether is it hardware such as razors and blades or software such as preshaves, soaps, and creams and aftershave, everything is YMMV. It depends on the condition of your beard and the condition of your skin and your specific preferences. However, if you read or watch lots of reviews you can find reviewers who have needs and preferences similar to yours.

For example, I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. Thus, I want very sharp blades that will slice through my beard yet also be smooth so my face is not irritated. When reading razor blade reviews, I want to find others who have a beard and skin similar to mine. If I read reviews that indicate that blades like Derby Extra are plenty sharp, I know that person does not have a beard like mine as they are not close to being sharp enough for me. However, I have read reviews of blades I have not tried and based on the reviews, I have tried the blades and found them to be great. Dorco Prime Platinum blades were one of several blades I purchased due to reviews from others. They work well for me.

Many blades get smoother after the first couple of shaves. In my experience though Nacets are good out of the box. They do last a long time. You might try sticking with one for a couple of shaves to see if it gets better. Alternatively you can see if a couple of passes through a cork helps tame a new blade.

After enough time, I grew to like almost all blades. I don't love Derbys or Sharks or Dorcos but I can shave with 'em. I love Nacets.

I disliked and avoided Nacets for a looooong time. For the past two years, I've used Wizamets and Silver Blues almost exclusively, only adding in others from my initial "sampler" stash now and then for variety, but most of the time just grabbing a Wizamet, because it provides me with a good shave in any razor.

But a month or two ago I decided to give Nacets another spin, and discovered that I LOVE them. They sort of require a different technique from me, but now that I've adapted to that blade, it's right up there with the Wizamets. Possibly even better, although I've no reason to adjudicate that one way or the other, I can just continue using and enjoying both of them.

I disliked and avoided Nacets for a looooong time. For the past two years, I've used Wizamets and Silver Blues almost exclusively, only adding in others from my initial "sampler" stash now and then for variety, but most of the time just grabbing a Wizamet, because it provides me with a good shave in any razor.

But a month or two ago I decided to give Nacets another spin, and discovered that I LOVE them. They sort of require a different technique from me, but now that I've adapted to that blade, it's right up there with the Wizamets. Possibly even better, although I've no reason to adjudicate that one way or the other, I can just continue using and enjoying both of them.

Because of their sharpness, Nacet blades do not work for many people, especially those new to wet shaving. However, once your shaving technique is good enough to make the adjustments needed, they are great blades.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Because of their sharpness, Nacet blades do not work for many people, especially those new to wet shaving. However, once your shaving technique is good enough to make the adjustments needed, they are great blades.
So true, I can't say how many times I've read here where a person with little experience using a double edge says a blade sucks and then later realizes that it actually is an OK cutter. If you haven't been DE shaving regularly for at least a few years I think you need to evaluate your technique -- prep, lather, angles, pressure, grain, etc.

Hang on to the blades and try them again in a year, that's my 2¢

I've been using Nacets in my GC .84 SB. I wouldn't consider that a "mild" razor but it's also not an R41. Took a few tries to get things just right, but I am now getting AMAZING shaves with the Nacet in the .84. The sharpness of the blade means very minimal buffing and touch up, which means no or hardly any irritation. The key for me is light pressure bordering on just letting the blade glide over my skin, otherwise the Nacet can be dangerous. After all, we are talking about a blade that slices alligators in half!

If you've ever shaved with a vintage Gillette THIN from the 40s, you might agree:
I think the Nacet is exactly what the THIN felt like fresh out of the wrapper in 194x (we can certainly romanticize)

Top Bottom