What's new

Gillette invent so much thing...

V

VR6ofpain

Pretty cool idea, but seems pretty lazy. Those bristles looked like the horse hair brushes I have to shine my shoes.

looks like they were still keeping up with the Gillette tradition back then as well... an inferior product that needs constant refills...

Talk about a company that really fell off the horse. Does anyone remember; was Gillette in financial trouble in the 70s/80s when cartridges took over, or did they just want to have the next big thing?

My Grandma and one of my aunts worked for Gillette for many years (my Grandma retired from there) and were were always getting free stuff like White Rain shampoo/conditioner, The Dry Look hairspray, deodorants, hair gels (remember Dippity Doo? I had boatloads of it before it hit the store shelves), endless cans of Foamy, etc. My dad actually did get a couple of these brushes. In fact, he gave them to me as toys because apparently his Foamy was better (l loved when he'd give me a blob of shaving cream to play with).

If I can reach back far enough in my childhood, the brush was soft(!),we're talking feather duster soft, the cream concentrate smelled aweful, and it didn't lather worth a damn.

Thanks for the post, though. Fun to remember things like this!

P.S. Now I'm wondering what kind of vintage wet-shaving treasures are buried in my Grandma's house...

My grandfather had one of these - my recollection was that the bristles were synthetic and that it sat in the medicine cabinet because my grandfather preferred the stuff in the can.

I actually used this system for quite some time. In fact, I was disappointed when it was discontinued. I went so far as to purchase all the refills I could find, thus beginning my first shave product hoarding experience. The brush itself was not disposable. It was intended to be supplied with lather refills. Although the cream does not compare to the products I use today, I much preferred it to the foams available at the time. I believe this product failed not because of poor quality or performance, but rather due to the overwhelming desire of the shaving public to prefer the conveniece of canned goo and foam. To be honest, I would not use this system today now that I have been using high quality creams, soaps and brushes, however, I would use it if my only other options were canned goo and foam, or electric razors.

Top Bottom