What's new

Gillette Fatboy vs Slim adjustable vs Black Beauty (pre/post 77).

Sorry about the red tip, USPS quoted me $64 to ship it to Singapore, if anyone has any ideas to get it shipped cheaper help me out. As for adjustables, I have all 3 you mentioned. My super adjustable is a short handled 1970. It has been my almost daily shaver for over 30 years. The black beauty is sexy, the Fatboy is fabulous 50’s and the slim had a very executive quality. To me they all give great shaves, subtle differences in shave quality and I believe as the more modern they get the milder the shave. It’s hard to pick a favorite, so in true B&B spirit get them all my friend!
You can ship it for $13.75 using the First Class Package International Service, assuming the price is the same as for Thailand and you can keep the package weight under 8oz (it goes up to about $23 for 9 oz+).

$64 must be for Priority Mail Express International, which is their most expensive option.

I have all three as well. I prefer the Fatboy over the slim and the slim over the BB. The reason I like the Fatboy is that all one must do for a great shave is direct the razor. The weight of the razor gives enough pressure on the skin for a very close shave with no nicks. The Slim is close, but not quite. The Black Beauty is a good shaver but seems very mild. While I use 5-6 on the FB and 6 solid on the slim, the BB is set at a solid 9 all the time. If you want a good clone of the BB, you can look around for a Russian Ideal or Rubin. I have both of these as well and they shave almost the same as the BB.

I shipped a razor from Canada to Spain by Canada Post.
Guaranteed 5 days, tracked and insured -$61.00
Tracked and insured, no guarantee of 5 days -$32.00
Small package airmail, no tracking or insurance -$10.00
Small package slow boat, no tracking or insurance -$8.00
I chose door #3 for $10. It got there in 5 days.
I shipped a razor handle to Serbia. Similar rates, it took 7 days.

The risk is that if the item doesn't show up, you have no recourse. I shipped my last pif in July to USA (the BFR), small packet airmail. It got to Hawaii in a few weeks. The shower shaver handle, shipped on the same day, has not shown up yet. Next clone project, I will use the stock handle to make another shower shaver handle and ship it to @dmshaver (the winner of my last "shower shaver"pif). Murphy's law states they will both show up at the same time, or neither one will show up.

You can ship it for $13.75 using the First Class Package International Service, assuming the price is the same as for Thailand and you can keep the package weight under 8oz (it goes up to about $23 for 9 oz+)
$64 must be for Priority Mail Express International, which is their most expensive option.
Thanks for that! I’m not fluent in shipping lol! Ok @Your Majesty the red tip is back on, I’m going to the post office Monday, I searched the option that was mentioned, I may be able to squeeze an adjustable or 2 in there. Will let you know Monday exactly what’s coming your way!!

Thanks for that! I’m not fluent in shipping lol! Ok @Your Majesty the red tip is back on, I’m going to the post office Monday, I searched the option that was mentioned, I may be able to squeeze an adjustable or 2 in there. Will let you know Monday exactly what’s coming your way!!
You're welcome. It's quite hard to find on the USPS site unless you know it's there. If you select 'flat-rate boxes' instead of 'calculate price based on shape or size', you never even see it. You could use the Click-N-Ship to print your own label and free pickup service if you don't fancy going to the post office (at least I think you can).

I have all three and love them however, I find the 69 Super Adjustable - 88 to out shave the Fatboy and Slim ever so slightly. I got lucky and my adjustables are all in excellent condition mechanically and cosmetically. If you can scoop all three I would say go for it but you won’t go wrong with a Super Adjustable for sure.

Fwiw, I find them all remarkably close to each other at similar settings. I have all of them but prefer the Fatboy only because I like the fat handle better based on my shaving preferences.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Fatboy all the way for Me , The first Vintage DE I bought and still loving Her.

I'm a Fatboy Fanatic, it was probably the first razor I shaved with way back then. I have all three of the subject razors, and prefer the Fatboy for the nostalgia as well as I think the heavier, more compact form works better for me ..

I own all three and I prefer the Fatboy. All three shave well, but I think I like the weight and feel of wider handle of the Fatboy best. The Slim is in my rotation and my Super Adjustable is a birth year and quarter that is used on special occasions.

Can someone please tell me where I can get two Fatboys looking like the ones in these pictures

I replied to your IM but currently, since Delta Echo is no longer in business have the Gunkote done by a vender like North Shore. Chris Evatt (Razorplate.com) did the nickel replate. Chris has done collaborations with North Shore also like he did with Delta Echo with mine.

I already had all the requisite Techs, Super Speeds & Adjustables when I stumbled upon an insanely cheap Fat Boy. It was an estate buy, and one of the few vintage razors I've bought that wasn't cruddy & loaded up with soap scum. It appeared to have had little use & is in fantastic condition.
In actual use, it's all show & little go; awkward & clunky, it makes Gillette's move forward to introducing the Slim more understandable.
While it shaves just fine, the Slim & Super Adjustables are far more maneuverable and provide a quicker and more effortless shave.

I already had all the requisite Techs, Super Speeds & Adjustables when I stumbled upon an insanely cheap Fat Boy. It was an estate buy, and one of the few vintage razors I've bought that wasn't cruddy & loaded up with soap scum. It appeared to have had little use & is in fantastic condition.
In actual use, it's all show & little go; awkward & clunky, it makes Gillette's move forward to introducing the Slim more understandable.
While it shaves just fine, the Slim & Super Adjustables are far more maneuverable and provide a quicker and more effortless shave.
Hmmmm...well this is another example of the YMMV rule. I also have the requisite Super Speeds, Slim Adjustable, Tech, and even a couple of Russian adjustables. And I must say my favorite is my Fat Boy. I like the heft of the razor. It takes no effort at all to get a BBS shave. All one must do is guide the razor and let its weight do the work. Dont get me wrong, I like the others too. But the FB is my go to. I will say though, the blade makes a LOT of difference.

Hmmmm...well this is another example of the YMMV rule. I also have the requisite Super Speeds, Slim Adjustable, Tech, and even a couple of Russian adjustables. And I must say my favorite is my Fat Boy. I like the heft of the razor. It takes no effort at all to get a BBS shave. All one must do is guide the razor and let its weight do the work. Dont get me wrong, I like the others too. But the FB is my go to. I will say though, the blade makes a LOT of difference.

Nothing bent on this baby, very mint and shaves like a dream. Although I’d say that my Super 84 provides a better shave (Probably better than the rest of my rotation), not so in my case in comparing my Slims to my 195s.

Any 195 I’ve used is smoother than my Slims and they are built more solid. I would not say that the Slim feels cheap in the hand, but in my opinion, much less substantial than any 195.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
I’m fairly new to wet shaving but I have all 3. I prefer the head of the slim over the fatboy. But I prefer the thicker handle of the FatBoy over the slim.
Not much difference in slim and black beauty IMO

+1. This has been my experience with all 3 razors as well.

Tim

Top Bottom