What's new

Gillette Fat Boy so over priced. WHY?

Why is the Fat Boy so overpriced?

The question itself suggests that the price/value ratio is a little off. After all, a Slim - a similar razor - typically goes for half the price of a Fat Boy. Following the same logic, some might think the Fat Boy is overpriced.

Shaving-wise, there's not a lot of difference between the two razors. But some guys like the look of the thicker handle, or think the Fat Boy is notably heavier (it isn't).

For me, the Fat Boy is overpriced - but don't tell that its fans!
:dots:

You will, the last 3 i have bought were 18, 22, 25 respectfully. 2 had boxes and all just needed minor clean up, because of the prices they fetch never kept 1 of them more than a few days all were sold off between 75 and 95 dollars. I have been in sales all my working life and know supply and demand very well, It just seems to me this is an occasion where the demand is greater than a more than abundant supply and I am figuring mostly because every newbie to wet shaving instantly has to have a Fat Boy ( i did) and they step way up in price. The answers to my original question have been interesting, and I feel the best overall answer would be "Because they do " lol.

Probably the most talked about razor on shaving forums. No other razor has a case with a magnifier and the script looks like the Cadillac script for that era. To me it's the epitome of the 50s: big well built and lots of chrome. Like another poster said you could buy one for 25.00 all day on here. Now the demand has reached a point that 50.00 is reasonable. Look at all the threads for disassembly and cleaning, no other razor even comes close. Steampunk at the finest..

My Merkur 38C was around $38 + shipping. My Fatboy was about $38 including shipping. I expect the Fatboy to last longer even though it's already 56 years old. I don't think that it was overpriced.

Even though there is high demand, there are still deals to be found in some places for Fatboys if you look hard enough, and/or get really lucky.

I am one of the lucky ones. I found two in an antique shop and got them for $5 each about a month ago with no cases and in need of a good cleaning but in good shape otherwise. I am still considering whether or not to sell one.

I just did a quick scan of Ebay sold listings and saw quite a few (most it seemed) sold for right in the $50 neighborhood. A few strayed upward of that number and some hit around $100. A very nice looking E1 sold for $40 on the button.

To me those prices are excellent for a solid brass, vintage made in the US razor that with reasonable care will easily outlast its owner.

Can you afford this?

proxy.php

No?
I'll bet you can afford the $80 to buy a Fatboy. Think of it as a cheaper alternative to a vintage car.

I recently paid $100 for a pristine FB on eBay. I was initially bothered by the price, however after the first shave it was no longer an issue for me!

I would say $55.00 and under a well priced item for quality and reputation, My original thoughts were why someone would pay the north end of that. When I sold 1 on the bad place for $96.00 plus shipping I felt guilty. As a liftime salesman I understand that if both people are happy with a transaction then it is a good transaction. My personal reasons for question was more for why someone else would choose to pay so much higher than an equal quality Slim.
I am very guilty of paying a thousand dollars for a 6o year old fly rod that originally sold for 20. Just surprising to me other peoples poisin.

It also has to do with the convenience of buying it online. Like someone mentioned, if you hunt around antique stores you may come across one where you would then think it's underpriced?

I was one of the lucky ones and found one in an antique store, and with less than a month's time of actually hunting for it:

$IMG_0691.jpg

To some, they would not pay that based on the looks of it lol.

$IMG_0693.jpg

I was one of the lucky ones and found one in an antique store, and with less than a month's time of actually hunting for it:
To some, they would not pay that based on the looks of it lol.

That is great! My first Fatboy was a bargain, but so filthy I seriously questioned my sanity as I cleaned it. It looked like it had been recovered from the bathtub from the final scene in Silence of the Lambs.

I just bought a Fat Boy on Ebay, $75. $unnamed.jpg

Just for grins I surfed on over to Cost-Co where I used to buy Fusion blades.

$56 for 16. $350-701905-847__1.jpg

Comparatively, my, new-to-me, Fat Boy is a bargain.

Last edited:
They look good, shave well, are adjustable, have a big following. If we find a bad one CaptainMurphey has told us how to detail strip, clean, assemble, and calibrate. That's huge to me.

I'd go with a cap of more like $40-50, but $200+ is what some will pay... Bottom dial or Toggle i'd consider going more.

One downside i've got for it is difficulty cleaning, my water is just liquid limestone. It takes more effort to keep it from getting disgusting looking than a 3 piece.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
They look good, shave well, are adjustable, have a big following. If we find a bad one CaptainMurphey has told us how to detail strip, clean, assemble, and calibrate. That's huge to me.

I'd go with a cap of more like $40-50, but $200+ is what some will pay... Bottom dial or Toggle i'd consider going more.

One downside i've got for it is difficulty cleaning, my water is just liquid limestone. It takes more effort to keep it from getting disgusting looking than a 3 piece.

Try a brief soak in room temperature coca cola, then hit it with the toothbrush. The phosphoric acid will gently destroy the lime buildup.

I would not say "overpriced" but I would say that they fetch a high dollar in the market of collectors and vintage users. This matter has been chewed on before, right here in B&B, at least once.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...re-the-Vintage-Gillette-Fatboy-s-so-expensive
Among the Fat Boy's distinctions were its heft, its design, its workmanship, its functionality, its durability, and, last but not least, its limited production run. There could also be an element of "tulip mania". The high valuation of the Fat Boy feeds yet more high valuation of the Fat Boy, feeding yet more collector interest in an ever-expanding bubble, which may continue to sustain itself, or may peter out, or may burst.

A few months ago I stumbled on an Ebay listing for a cased Fatboy that was not nearly NOS, rather evident previous usage in fact, and the seller was asking a "buy it now" price of over $700! After the listing expired they dropped the price into the low $600's. I lost track of it but I'm sure he must have lowered it some more at a later point :)

Top Bottom