What's new

Gillette Fat Boy so over priced. WHY?

I want a toggle razor but I don't want to pay $1000 for it. I'm searching antique shops and pawn shops in hopes of finding one. Maybe someday I will, in the meantime people will still be paying more than I'm willing to pay for them.

A Fatboy was sold for 28$ two hours ago.
Didn't bid on that, TTO's are not my cup of tea.

Also, Fatboys sold on eBay often aren't sold via auction, or have a high starting price. If each Fatboy listing started at 99 cents the average price would fall significantly.

My mileage likely varies from most on this forum, but I'm glad the only adjustable I own is the Slim. It was relatively less expensive than the Fatboy, so my investment could have been worse. Even at 9, I couldn't get a close shave with the Slim. In fact, I can't get a close shave with any vintage Gillette--Old Style thin or thick cap, New long or short comb, Red Tip, etc. I get closer shaves with vintage MMOCs and Schick E types. Not to mention all the modern wonders in my den, including the relatively inexpensive Alumigoose, R41, FaTip and--king of the hill--Ikon Shavecraft Tech.

The 57 Chevy syndrom I guess. Actually, I think prices on these have come down slightly as lately there seems to be a more than ample supply to bid on.

I keep an eye out for vintage Gillettes at flea markets/junk stores/antique shops, etc., and hope to find a Fat Boy or Toggle at a decent price someday, but if I never do, that will be alright.

I found a vintage La Trompette chefs knife at antique shop last summer for $15, so I cling to hope.

LOL....you over paid....I paid 2 dollars for mine at a yard sale and I wanted my money back after I tried shaving 3 times with it until I saw what they were going for on ebay. Mine is no joke though.

As of this morning the going price is down to $1 the same as the Slim I got with it. I do hope it lives up to the "hype" or I too will think I over paid :tongue_sm(I of course don't add in the amount of time/miles I spend hunting)

I'd be obliged if you could invite me to one of your yard sales. If you see a Darwin for a few bucks, buy it for me! :w00t:

Nope. They don't belong melted down.

The Fatboy is ok. Especially on 6 or above. My first ever shave was one Saturday night in fall of 1969 when my dad thrust what was later termed a Fatboy in my hand and told me to shave the peach fuzz before church in the morning. He'd retired it a few years before in favor of a Norelco electric.

The market drives everything. When I moved from Boston to sw Ohio I could not believe that I could walk up to the box office on a Sunday afternoon & buy Reds' tix in the upper deck directly behind home plate for $15 the first ticket, $7.50 each for the rest of the group. At Fenway that ticket would have been $150-$200. If the Reds sold out by Christmas each year as the Sox used to do then the price of those seats wouldn't have been $7.50. That's why, perversely, I am thrilled they have been picked to finish last this year.

With regard to the fatboy, I have never used one. I've had a slim since 1989, and would love to have a fatboy, but I wouldn't spend over $25 for one. Sooner or later I'll find one in exceptional condition for $25 or less. I'm patient.

I moved from the Boston area to the Seattle area. Red Sox tickets are *much* less expensive at Safeco Field vs. Fenway.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Also, Fatboys sold on eBay often aren't sold via auction, or have a high starting price. If each Fatboy listing started at 99 cents the average price would fall significantly.
I've watched several that are buy it now. They don't sell and are relisted. I've made a best offer on one \ offer rejected and its just relisted several times until I've sort of moved on. The impulse to get one passed and is replaced with lusting after a new 180 stainless razor I think I need.

Ok first not to offend,, upset or commit crimes against the DE community, but can someone explain to me why the prices of a mass produced middle of the road razor are so expensive??.. I am happy for that when I re-sell the ones I find, but I'm just curious why. The razor does a good job, but really no better than any of its TTO counter parts, and once You find Your setting it could be glued in place. So to me its like setting to a standard, or Blue, or Red tip. which all can be had in great shape for between $10-$20. I was hoping for some insight on this strange ( to me ) pricing for a middle of road TTO razor.

Americans like big fat stuff, it's a "bigger is better" mindset. Who's gonna buy a "scrawny guy" razor?

Ok first not to offend,, upset or commit crimes against the DE community, but can someone explain to me why the prices of a mass produced middle of the road razor are so expensive??.. I am happy for that when I re-sell the ones I find, but I'm just curious why. The razor does a good job, but really no better than any of its TTO counter parts, and once You find Your setting it could be glued in place. So to me its like setting to a standard, or Blue, or Red tip. which all can be had in great shape for between $10-$20. I was hoping for some insight on this strange ( to me ) pricing for a middle of road TTO razor.

No offense taken sir. It's all about demand and availability as to determining price. Some like it as a razor, others like it because it's an iconic representation of the "heavy metal" industrial era of US manufacturing.

If you add the shipping, the buyer ended up paying $40.41 for it. But if you'll notice also, the seller did not list "fatboy" in his listing, therefore, all the less-informed ebayers didn't believe it was a fatboy, thus kept the price down lmao.

The term fatboy is loosely used on ebay nowadays, I call out a lot of sellers that incorrectly use the term, and I'm surprised that many of them are actually appreciative and try to fix their descriptions.

It was my first DE razor but I have to say that it was the worst one I've ever used. Maybe it was defective but I noticed no difference in the settings and the head was way too fat.

Top Bottom