What's new

Gillette Bostonian - how do I open it?

Hey Guys,

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm really struggling to open my new Gillette Bostonian.

I've tried holdinging the head with one hand, and twisting the knob at the bottom to the point of nearly getting blisters on my hand.

Either I'm not doing it right, or it's somehow stuck. Has anyone else had this issue or knows how to resolve it?

cheers
$image.jpg

hold the handle firmly and twist the bottom knob. If that doesn't work, it's stuck real good. Hot soapy water soak might work per Edgar or ultrasonic bath. Don't hold the head and twist the bottom as you may break the connection at the top of the handle/bottom of the head - it's a snug, force fit at the top and that's where this things sometime get a crack in the handle.

Good luck.

Yep. The bottom knob should twist. IF it doesn't, try soaking it and perhaps lubricating with a little mineral oil.

Thanks guys. I'll try soaking it. I'Ve soaked it briefly in warm water, but will try for longer. I'll post my result.

Is dish washing liquid safe on the silver?

I hope that you are twisting counter clockwise. I hope that I don't insult your intelligence with that comment, but just wanted to make sure that you knew this. It is a threaded connection, so with enough soaking, it should loosen. You could also try heating the bottom part in some near boiling water, That might cause differential exoansion and loosen it up.

Good luck.

I hope that you are twisting counter clockwise. I hope that I don't insult your intelligence with that comment, but just wanted to make sure that you knew this. It is a threaded connection, so with enough soaking, it should loosen. You could also try heating the bottom part in some near boiling water, That might cause differential exoansion and loosen it up.

Good luck.

heh, no offence taken. Yeah, I double checked the direction - I've got it right. When I get home will try near boiling water. Thanks.

As a rule, (IMO) the water should be as hot as you can stick your hand in.

Also, I wouldn't use an ultrasonic, as I got one off of Amazon that will politely strip random metals off of the transducer side. It really stinks, because when it isn't stripping metal, it cleans fantastically. Also left a grid pattern when using a plastic insert on a blade case.

Maybe someone has a specific model they could recommend or something.

As a rule, (IMO) the water should be as hot as you can stick your hand in.

Also, I wouldn't use an ultrasonic, as I got one off of Amazon that will politely strip random metals off of the transducer side. It really stinks, because when it isn't stripping metal, it cleans fantastically. Also left a grid pattern when using a plastic insert on a blade case.

Maybe someone has a specific model they could recommend or something.

For starters, what model did you buy? I want to avoid that one ...

For starters, what model did you buy? I want to avoid that one ...

Sonic Wave Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner - Cleans Jewelry, Optics, Eyeglass, CD's, DVD's and Other Delicate Items , Blitz Jewelry and Gem Cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Wave-Pr...417825567&sr=8-10&keywords=ULTRASONIC+CLEANER

What's funny is that there is no way you can get a cd/dvd in there, but the part number begins with CD, so someone made an assumption.

It's a pity...most of the time it works like a charm. For my now 2-tone 1941 Ranger, not so much....and my 1934 'Crat grid blade case...and will restore any NEW top to the copper state effortlessly.

Update: I'm beginning to think it's either super glued together or a powerful magic. It's been soaking for about an hour and I've tried every 20 minutes or so. It does t even budge. I'll try again when my hands have recovered.

I haven't tried "soapy" water yet. The dishwashing detergent we have contains lemon which I remember reading that it's best to avoid. The water temperature has started off at a bit below boiling. I.e, I could put my fingers in but only for a couple of seconds.

Sonic Wave Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner - Cleans Jewelry, Optics, Eyeglass, CD's, DVD's and Other Delicate Items , Blitz Jewelry and Gem Cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Wave-Pr...417825567&sr=8-10&keywords=ULTRASONIC+CLEANER

What's funny is that there is no way you can get a cd/dvd in there, but the part number begins with CD, so someone made an assumption.

It's a pity...most of the time it works like a charm. For my now 2-tone 1941 Ranger, not so much....and my 1934 'Crat grid blade case...and will restore any NEW top to the copper state effortlessly.

Thanks for the link. I may need to do invest in one of those. I'll check if the ship to New Zealand.

I've had great luck with the heated ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html It's easy to find 20% off coupons for HF also.

They ship to Australia but I'm not sure if that includes New Zealand.

If there are hunting/shooting supply places near you then you might find it as the LYMAN TURBO 2500
It's re branded to a bunch of names actually. It's basically a Chinese cd-4820 digital ultrasonic cleaner (Check ebay.com.au with that name)

If you can find one local for a good price they work awesome. A few drops of dawn and it heats up the water and cleans out any gunk stuck inside of the razor.

Last edited:
Update: I'm beginning to think it's either super glued together or a powerful magic. It's been soaking for about an hour and I've tried every 20 minutes or so. It does t even budge. I'll try again when my hands have recovered.

I haven't tried "soapy" water yet. The dishwashing detergent we have contains lemon which I remember reading that it's best to avoid. The water temperature has started off at a bit below boiling. I.e, I could put my fingers in but only for a couple of seconds.

I would pick up some Dawn at your local grocery store, and let it soak a good 24 hours.

I recently had a stuck Black Beauty that didn't free up until it had been soaked continuously for about a week, changing the water at least twice a day with new hot water! Soap absolutely required...

I would pick up some Dawn at your local grocery store, and let it soak a good 24 hours.

We don't get this magical Dawn, that you speak of, in New Zealand. Anyone know if a good alternative or what to look for?

I recently had a stuck Black Beauty that didn't free up until it had been soaked continuously for about a week, changing the water at least twice a day with new hot water! Soap absolutely required...

Good to know. Thanks. Now just need to get some soap...

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
We don't get this magical Dawn, that you speak of, in New Zealand. Anyone know if a good alternative or what to look for?

Good to know. Thanks. Now just need to get some soap...

I remembered seeing this question before from Down Under, but couldn't find anything here. Did find a discussion based on the UK which said P&G's equivalent of Dawn is called "Fairy" .. hopefully this helps, that's too nice of a razor not to be shaving with ...

Top Bottom