What's new

Gillette Black Tip Super Speed.

Hello everyone. I think that the black tip super speed is a well balenced shaver. I tad more shaving power than the 40s ndc super speeds. What do you guys think of this razor. I love the history behind this razor also.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I wouldn't say more "power" but they are good razors. Are you looking at a steel one, brass, or with the aluminum handle? You've got choices with a black tip.

I have a steel one and an aluminum one, I prefer the steel handle much more. That being said, I have other razors that I prefer over any of my Super Speeds.

I wouldn't say more "power" but they are good razors. Are you looking at a steel one, brass, or with the aluminum handle? You've got choices with a black tip.

I have the w-2 which has a steel handle. It all differs for us.

The Gillette Super Speed Black Tip is an outstanding razor and a very smooth shaver. Mine in coded W-4, which is the 4th quarter of 1951. I believe mine has an aluminum handle (?) as the handle feels slightly different than my other Super Speeds. The W-4 date of manufacture is very significant to me, as I first shaved on my 15th birthday, November 28, 1951, which also was a 4th quarter 1951 event.

I think the Gillette Black Tip shaves identically to the late 1940's Super Speeds, and that is meant as a high compliment. If only one word could be used to describe the Black Tip shave, the word would be "smooth."

BTW to be certain, how does a novice tell if the handle is steel, brass, or aluminum?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Mine is bright and shiny, so I guess I have the aluminum model. Is it known when the aluminum model was introduced, and for how long it was made?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is it known when the aluminum model was introduced, and for how long it was made?

At least '51 and '52

From Mr-Razor's site:

• 1951 (W3): 43-g, aluminum handle with nickel-plated shoulder
  • 1951 (W4): 46-g, steel handle with nickel-plated head
  • 1952 (X1): 39-g, aluminum handle
  • 1952 (X3): 45-g, steel handle with steel baseplate

Even though I don't have a Black Tip I don't doubt that it is a great shaver as every Super Speeds I do have is wonderful! Congratulations on finding a razor you like so much (I have also found many) maybe some day I will find a Black Tip also.

Thanks for the info. Mine is bright and shiny, so I guess I have the aluminum model. Is it known when the aluminum model was introduced, and for how long it was made?

The handles also look different, here's a picture of mine. The one on the left is aluminum (X3) and the one on the right is steel (W1).

$2016-12-03 19.20.33.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have a W2, brass. My mistake, it isn't black, the tip is some kind of metal though (4th from left). There are definitely both brass and steel base plates during this period ... I'll bring out another half dozen some other night, many are in their cases.

Let's see yours, gents.

$WXY.JPG

I have a W2, brass. My mistake, it isn't black, the tip is some kind of metal though (4th from left). There are definitely both brass and steel base plates during this period ... I'll bring out another half dozen some other night, many are in their cases.

Let's see yours, gents.

View attachment 706759

Nice! I'd forgotten about the brown tip and the other one. My aluminum handle appears to have a brass base plate.

Let's see yours, gents.

View attachment 706759
Hey Doug, take a look at post #116 in this thread. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/56974-Super-Speed-Identification

What ARE those razors you guys have?

Hello all, here's some more input I came across while examining my X series Super Speed, and my W series Super Speed.

proxy.php

I might add that all the collars are different, and the one in the middle seems to have a brass handle.
I have often wondered about these razors.

Top Bottom