What's new

Gillette Aristocrat Jr.

I’ve had this for a while but didn’t realize how nice it shaves until I began using it regularly. I even forgot where I obtained it. The razor is very smooth and forgiving.
image.jpg

image.jpg

That is a "Gillette Aristocrat Junior," whatever that name means?

I looks like a circa 1948 Gillette Super Speed, which BTW is an excellent and smooth shaver.

Paired with a Feather blade, my British Aristocrat Junior is shaving nirvana. I keep going back to it again and again.

The Jr. is a touch more aggressive than the Rocket. You wouldn't necessarily really know it if you're not paying attention. My Jr. has been my go-to razor now for a few months. Coupled with a Feather blade it's been unbeatable.

My comments are limited to the British Aristocrat Jr. and the British Rocket 500 series. I've never shaved with an American version of either.

I just realized that I posted to this thread in August 2020 and was shaving regularly with my Aristocrat Jr. then. I guess it's been way longer than just a few months. Time flies in a lockdown.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I always called these razors just Super Speed (No datecode ). So, what makes it an Aristocrat Junior?
I call mine a Super Speed, too. But for one year (1947) there was a tiny smooth spot on the neck of the handle next to the knurling. That's what guys call the American Aristocrat Junior.

Here's a pic from Mr-Razor http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1947 Arisicrat Junior cream Dispenser.JPG

I save the term Aristocrat Jr. for the flat bottom razor with Brit.Pat. 430 030, a superior razor in my opinion.

But for one year (1947) there was a tiny smooth spot on the neck of the handle next to the knurling. That's what guys call the American Aristocrat Junior.

Aaa, I did not know this. Thank you very much, again learnt something new... I have some Super Speeds I will check them if they have such a smooth spot.

Thanks!

Sami

I finally get a set.53 1949 Aristocrat Jr to put in the case I`ve had for a good few months now .. hopefully it shaves as good as they look.

The Aristocrat Jr. Arrived today. Really happy with it - looks almost immaculate.
I think these are my new favourites; quite a hefty 72g, and the twist to open feels a lot smoother and tighter than any of the superspeeds and Rockets .. will give it a go tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_193340.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193340.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210730_193413.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193413.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210730_193436.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193436.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20210730_193539.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193539.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 59
I’ve had this for a while but didn’t realize how nice it shaves until I began using it regularly. I even forgot where I obtained it. The razor is very smooth and forgiving.
View attachment 1138940
View attachment 1138941
I have the same Aristocrat Junior and the head is the same as my 1946 Ranger Tech. This has the uncreased blade tray. Have another AJ with the crease blade tray but still unnotched, and still on the AJ handle. Very interesting, both shave quite well IMO.

Top Bottom