What's new

Gift from Dad

My folks took a trip to Europe and Dad found this in an antique shop.
20191116_151103.jpg

20191116_151117.jpg
20191116_151147.jpg
20191116_151209.jpg
I hated to tell him it's not a Gillette. I assume it's a German or Russian OT travel clone. Still a nice razor, even if it's not a Gillette. And missing a tooth.

Haven't tried using it yet. No time to clean it up.

R

romsitsa

A gift is always nice. And you got two, a razor and a case!

Adam

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You sound like you have a good Dad! Cherish him; they are gone before you know it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice gift all the same. The main thing is, is that your dad was thinking of you and your “hobby”. Your dad is a good dad.

Thank you all. Dad's still kicking at 82!

He picked it up in Bucharest. I've had a chance to work on it and try it. It's chrome over (probably) brass. Definitely not some cast pot metal. The chrome has lots of small pits, but the base metal is still in fine shape.

Had some issues with the first shave. The cap was banged up along one edge, so I assumed that was preventing the blade from being held evenly. After gently filing the burrs off of the edge, I inspected it further and realized that the edges weren't straight. Each side had a smile. So I proceeded to straighten the edges with a flat file. Got both edges straight; they're holding the blade even on both sides. One side has more blade exposure than the other, but it doesn't affect the shave too badly. I'm going to chalk it up to just not the same QA as Gillette (at the time).

It's not a bad shave. It's just not as good as any of my real Gillettes. I do like the handle. Very grippy. Good weight.

Top Bottom