What's new

Gibbs No 15/17 Brass head w/ Chrome coating (and rarer Personna Precision)

My understanding is the Personna Micromatic adjustable is gold plated brass for the metal parts.

A VG condition razor with VG condition case will go for over $450-500. Not cheap but a great razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Personna is chrome or nickel instead of gold.

I'm not aware of any gold plated brass or chrome plated aluminum razors. The gold aluminum razor weighs 39g. There are brass razors plated in both nickel and chrome.

Ok, it seems clear now that we can find aluminium and brass numbered razors regardless of the imprint number. I guess then that the weight of the razor will confirm the material of which is made.

I will take some pictures of mines.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had your coffee? :) That's exactly what I said (and pictured) DB. There is aluminum with gold finish, but no brass with gold plate that I'm aware of. Gold aluminum is 39g as I indicated. Brass Gibbs weighs 72g.

Yep there is one my friend that is aluminum with a gold finish. A friend of mine who collects Gibbs has one and they are much lighter in weight than the Brass ones. Like half the weight. Number is usually a #15 on the aluminum one.
proxy.php

Last edited:
The above photo is my gold one. There is a bronze custom somebody has which appears on another thread. Custom means some guy in his shop made a bronze sleeve, there is no indication the Gibbs factory produced them. I also have custom one with brass sleeve lost somewhere in Tom White's garage :) , pictured here:
proxy.php

Yep but I think there is a Bronze with the custom handle as seen in the above photos right?

Last edited:
The above photo is my gold one. There is a bronze custom somebody has which appears on another thread. Custom means some guy in his shop made a bronze sleeve, there is no indication the Gibbs factory produced them. I also have custom one with brass sleeve lost somewhere in Tom White's garage :) , pictured here:
proxy.php

Beautiful razor sir. I cannot believe you have it in the garage.

Yes, as a one-off. There are a couple guys who do this commercially, one in France one here in US, although neither does metal as far as I know, I believe both 3d print plastic or composite materials.
That is awesome looking! So someone made you a custom handle?

Last edited:
A replacement handle is relatively easy to make. I wasn't entirely happy with its balance so i decided to make a handle out of brass.
The only problem that I had was the thread which is a M8x1. Once I had the tap the rest was easy.

Here it is next to the original and after I had it Cerakoted

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

What's the weight?
Its relatively easy to make.
I wasn't entirely happy with its balance so i decided to make a handle out of brass.
The only problem that I had was the thread which is a M8x1. Once I had the tap the rest was easy.

proxy.php

A replacement handle is relatively easy to make. I wasn't entirely happy with its balance so i decided to make a handle out of brass.

proxy.php

It looks well done. I wish I had the skill set to make handles and everything else.

This is a very cool thread. All these pictures are awesome. I was going to have a SS handle made but unfortunately the handle would not come off the Gibbs I bought so I had to send it back for a refund. May try again in the future.
Happy shaves
SMURF

You got it my friend! I’ll alert you if I find someone who can make a metal handle for our Gibbs.
:thumbup1:

Hey gang I’m also interested in a brass handle for the Gibbs. Please keep me in the loop.

I’m also looking into lengthening the handle and insert approximately 20 mm to have an overall 90 mm handle. I’ll post info if/when available.

AJ

What's the weight?
Weight is 91,6grams vs 71,2grams

I’m also looking into lengthening the handle and insert approximately 20 mm to have an overall 90 mm handle. I’ll post info if/when available.
After making my handle I wanted to do this as well. It would need the second part to be made.
The other part also has a thread that is "non-standard" (M5x0.9), which I don't have.

That's a good increase in heft. Well done.
Weight is 91,6grams vs 71,2grams

After making my handle I wanted to do this as well. It would need the second part to be made.
The other part also has a thread that is "non-standard" (M5x0.9), which I don't have.

Top Bottom