What's new

Gibbs adjustable razors - are they really that good?

A friend of mine is selling a huge part of his DE razor collection and one of the few razors that caught my attention was his Gibbs adjustable. I've heard all kinds of stories and legends how rare and good they are, but I really don't see or know many people using them all the time and outside of collecting, are they really worth buying compare to something else? The reason why i'm interested, is mostly because he's willing to sell it ''a bit cheaper'' than their market price, but I still don't know whatever I should pull the trigger or not.

If you don't have the Rex or Flexi, YES. If you do have one or t'other, the question is whether you want a very similarly performing vintage razor for your collection.

Before the two mentioned razors got their stuff shaken out, so to speak, I would have been all over a Gibbs adjustable, at the right price.

I owned my Rex before ever owning a Gibbs. I stumbled onto a great deal with my first Gibbs after expecting never to try one. After shaving with the Gibbs the first time, there is just no comparison. The Gibbs is far more smooth on each setting with the same efficiency. They really shave like two different razors. Subsequent purchases of additional Gibbs have revealed the same. You can also fully disassemble the Gibbs for easy cleaning (The very first series manufactured in the 30s do not fully disassemble except for my modified one).

The only advantage I would give the Rex is the handle. I don’t abuse my razors so brass versus stainless means nothing to me as I bought all of mine with great chrome plate. If I bust it up, would just have replated. The Gibbs was also released in aluminum.

Blade mods were the only thing that kept me away for so long regrettably as any mod, scissors or hole punch is incredibly easy.

I have noticed in the last year that they are getting extremely rare. If you pick one up and decide it isn’t your cup of tea, you could sell it in no time.

If you don't have the Rex or Flexi, YES. If you do have one or t'other, the question is whether you want a very similarly performing vintage razor for your collection.

Before the two mentioned razors got their stuff shaken out, so to speak, I would have been all over a Gibbs adjustable, at the right price.

I have a Flexi and I really like it.

R

romsitsa

If you can afford it, why not? It's cheaper than the market price, so in worst case you sell it with zero loss and can try out a vintage razor for free.

Yes they are. The only thing that makes them a bit difficult to use is modifying the blades but that's really not a big deal once you get a punch and get good at using it. I have a Rex and Flexi too but the Gibbs is smoother than both of them. Not by a whole lot, but it's noticeable.

I tried one Gibbs adjustable that was a little too aggressive across the board.

I was disappointed because a friend loaned me his and it was marvelous and smooth at just about every adjustment point.

but maybe two years ago I found another and decided to risk it to try to find my own and I got exactly what I wanted, one that was smooth and wonderful.

I'm curious about the Flexi, but I know that I greatly prefer the Gibbs to my Rex ambassador. The Rex never felt smooth at any setting for me. A huge difference between that and the Gibbs that I am now super happy with.

(Sent from mobile)

I still don't know whatever I should pull the trigger or not.

Yes, yes and yes.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom