What's new

Gibbs Adjustable - Aftermarket parts

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
HaHa 😅

So classy buddy!

It's really cool that you got that brush and original blades. I received a #66 'Aristocrat' from France today and for some reason he had put some blades from 'Gibbs' inside the package. I'm not complaining 🙂

I'm not informed on what kinds of blades 'Gibbs' produced through the years. Were they all proprietary or did they begin production of "normal" DE-blades at some point?

Have you seen this package before?

View attachment 1297230
I have not. The blades I got look older, but I could be wrong, but they are not "blues".
Pics here

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I had some vintage Gillette blades which were shaped to fit a Gibbs. At first I thought they were user modified but Gillette did apparently make them. I tried a couple but they were so rough that I could not use them. In retrospect I wish I had tried stropping them.

20210715_220537.jpg

Last edited:
I have not. The blades I got look older, but I could be wrong, but they are not "blues".
Pics here

I think you are right. Those blades looks like the ones that are supposed to be in the case for my 'Gibbs'-Adjustable 🧐

I had some vintage Gillette blades which were shaped to fit a Gibbs. At first I thought they were user modified but Gillette did apparently make them. I tried a couple but they were so rough that I could not use them. In retrospect I wish I had tried stopping them.

View attachment 1297231

That is quite interesting and look at this:

IMG_0637.jpgIMG_0638.JPG

Something tells me that Gillette produced universal blades for the French market back in the day 🧐

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had some vintage Gillette blades which were shaped to fit a Gibbs. At first I thought they were user modified but Gillette did apparently make them. I tried a couple but they were so rough that I could not use them. In retrospect I wish I had tried stropping them.

View attachment 1297231

I thought about the stropping. I'm sure I have a shot glass around here a la Charlton Heston in Soylent Green!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Gibbs razor, blade and brush worked just fine!

Good morning gents!

proxy.php

Found for 10€, in stunning condition.
First use today. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Come on man 10€ 😅

Did you buy it from an old lady at a flea market or what?

You got so many of them! I want to live in France too 😀

Come on man 10€ [emoji28]

Did you buy it from an old lady at a flea market or what?

You got so many of them! I want to live in France too [emoji3]

Tbh they’re not that easy to find even in France… I just came across an online listing 2 min after it was posted. Pure luck, that’s all really.

Tbh they’re not that easy to find even in France… I just came across an online listing 2 min after it was posted. Pure luck, that’s all really.

Fair enough. I have actually been communicating with a antic store in France who had posted some pictures on a blog. I of course contacted them, but all the adjustables were sold 😔

I think quite a lot of shavers know about the 'Gibbs' in 2021.

Well, you did not use eBay for that kind of deal 😉

I have actually for the fun of it tried to use 'leboncoin' and found maybe 5-6 razors I thought were interesting, but I couldn't get in contact with any of them 😞

Fair enough. I have actually been communicating with a antic store in France who had posted some pictures on a blog. I of course contacted them, but all the adjustables were sold [emoji17]

I think quite a lot of shavers know about the 'Gibbs' in 2021.

Well, you did not use eBay for that kind of deal [emoji6]

I have actually for the fun of it tried to use 'leboncoin' and found maybe 5-6 razors I thought were interesting, but I couldn't get in contact with any of them [emoji20]

Yeah, LBC can be quite a pain at times… I barely get a reply as well [emoji4]

Haha, somebody might have a razor problem.
That's a great collection though, very nice! Do you have a favorite or one that shaves different?

Thanks! [emoji4] Didn’t notice any difference between the brass/chrome plated ones. The 2 in aluminium are not that smooth; can’t explain why as the geometry is identical.
Weird enough, I prefer using a brass handle on the aluminium.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Today I saw a slot notcher.
It's essentially a hand punch that instead of cutting a hole, it cuts a 1/8 inch wide notch/slot.
The one I saw unfortunately is stainless steel and made in the US, so it's on the expensive side at 50 to 75 bucks.
I searched and found pattern notchers for about 10 - 15 bucks, but the slots are only 1/16 inch wide.
I'll keep looking for a reasonably priced 1/8 inch notcher and post here if I find one.

downloadfile.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Did you every find this punch? And by any chance do you have a current link for the exact red bead and springs that you bought
I donated the Gibbs to the Sue Moore Auction.
The notch cutter is from Amazon.
The bead is the head of a pin from JoAnn fabric store.
The springs are from a link I think in this thread, I'll look for it.

Springs:

Top Bottom