What's new

Gibbs Adjustable - Aftermarket parts

Hello,

I have been so lucky to have a Gibbs Adjustable coming in the mail to me probably next week. I have tried to pretty much search all the different shaving forums for information about the Gibbs razors and I can’t wait to get a hold of it!

The example I have been able to buy comes in original shipping box, manual etc. It’s not “NOS” but pretty close. For that reason I have thought about maybe taking some minor “precautions” which include using aftermarket handles and a modern SS spring.

I have already ordered the correct SS springs from China after seeing a couple of posts about this cheap investment. Furthermore I have looked at all the pictures of aftermarket handles.

From what I can understand most people get a 3D printed one right? I have seen the extra fancy ones in horn or brass but they seemed to me made for personal use only and not an item you can buy?

At this point I have only found this business on Etsy:

Is it correct that at this point it's the only place to get aftermarket handles?

Hopefully there are some Gibbs enthusiasts out there :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In what way is an aftermarket handle a 'precaution'? I thought replacement handles were more about altering the balance as the the Gibbs is very head heavy. I see no reason not to use the razor as is, and that is what I would do. I hope you enjoy your new razor 👍

In what way is an aftermarket handle a 'precaution'? I thought replacement handles were more about altering the balance as the the Gibbs is very head heavy. I see no reason not to use the razor as is, and that is what I would do. I hope you enjoy your new razor 👍

Thanks for your response 👍

I will for sure enjoy the razor!

I just wanted to know if I have done my research correct. Furthermore I have read that this original handle is quite fragile and breaks, so I thought it can never hurt to be on the safe side if possible 🙂

could you share some links to these springs? I am planning to get a couple different sizes and thicknesses
to try in my Taiga adjustable

Of course I can do that 👍

I have seen these springs been described as appropriate for the 'Gibbs' razor:

They should be great both in terms dimensions and material. I guess the one who suggested these and used them with great succes have actually taken measurements of an original spring from a 'Gibbs' razor and chosen the one closest to the original 🤔

As you can see via the link. That seller can provide a whole lot of different springs 🙂

could you share some links to these springs? I am planning to get a couple different sizes and thicknesses
to try in my Taiga adjustable

Please, share your experience once you have installed them in your Taiga. Maybe I will need to get them as well.

Bye!

Wait until you receive the razor before you order any handle replacements. There is at least one version of the Gibbs Adjustable for which the handle is not removable/replaceable. I know because I have one - and there's a crack in the handle. Fortunately the handle is still in one piece and doesn't seem likely to disintegrate further.

The Gibbs is indeed a head-heavy razor, and I think its a better razor for it. Gibbs did make a metal-handled version, so there is some precedent for it, but I'd stick with the lighter handle. The Rex Gibbs-inspired adjustable altered the head/handle balance and in my opinion is the worse for doing so.

Wait until you receive the razor before you order any handle replacements. There is at least one version of the Gibbs Adjustable for which the handle is not removable/replaceable. I know because I have one - and there's a crack in the handle. Fortunately the handle is still in one piece and doesn't seem likely to disintegrate further.

The Gibbs is indeed a head-heavy razor, and I think its a better razor for it. Gibbs did make a metal-handled version, so there is some precedent for it, but I'd stick with the lighter handle. The Rex Gibbs-inspired adjustable altered the head/handle balance and in my opinion is the worse for doing so.

Arhh I see, that makes good sense and thanks for the heads up 👍

The first ones produced have a handle which does not come off. I have one of these but mine was modified to allow removal.

Share some pics and I’ll be able to tell you. There are slight differences during the years they were produced. The earliest ones are more curvy in the head, generally but not all the time they have the red indicator in the center of the adjustment dial and the adjustment plate seats via equally spaced side tabs. The later models display tabs slightly different in size on each end.

I know a bit but Claudio is the real expert, “@Clouds”.

Last edited:
Of course I can do that 👍

I have seen these springs been described as appropriate for the 'Gibbs' razor:

They should be great both in terms dimensions and material. I guess the one who suggested these and used them with great succes have actually taken measurements of an original spring from a 'Gibbs' razor and chosen the one closest to the original 🤔

As you can see via the link. That seller can provide a whole lot of different springs 🙂
Original spring size:
L= 11.98
W= 10.18
I.D.= 8.08
I.D. on the base plate= 10.47
O.D shaft= 8.05

Last edited:
The first ones produced have a handle which does not come off. I have one of these but mine was modified to allow removal.

Share some pics and I’ll be able to tell you. There are slight differences during the years they were produced. The earliest ones are more curvy in the head, generally but not all the time they have the red indicator in the center of the adjustment dial and the adjustment plate seats via equally spaced side tabs. The later models display tabs slightly different in size on each end.

I know a bit but Claudio is the real expert, “@Clouds”.
I haven't received the razor yet, but I should receive it in a couple of days. Hopefully I will be able to determine the model a little by myself. From my understanding it should be one of the later models since the original case is the one with a transparent lid.

I have read this whole thread after talking to Claudio:

I will of course post pictures when I receive the razor. Hopefully everything is working, so I can get a couple of aftermarket parts from Claudio. His skills is quite cool 👌

Original spring size:
L= 11.98
W= 10.18
I.D.= 8.08
I.D. on the base plate= 10.47
O.D shaft= 8.05
Thanks for the measurements!

The seller I listed earlier has 924 different "Steel Compression Springs" but I'm pretty sure that the one I linked to is the most optimal one 🤞

Thanks for the measurements!

The seller I listed earlier has 924 different "Steel Compression Springs" but I'm pretty sure that the one I linked to is the most optimal one 🤞
The I.D.= 8.08 of the spring is important, it is a snug slip fit over the shaft O.D shaft= 8.05 most likely to keep the spring from folding/binding as it's compressed. As well W= 10.18 to the bore of I.D. on the base plate= 10.47 you could 'maybe' get away with a bit of length in the spring, not sure how much tension issue it would cause when adjusting the knob.

The I.D.= 8.08 of the spring is important, it is a snug slip fit over the shaft O.D shaft= 8.05 most likely to keep the spring from folding/binding as it's compressed. As well W= 10.18 to the bore of I.D. on the base plate= 10.47 you could 'maybe' get away with a bit of length in the spring, not sure how much tension issue it would cause when adjusting the knob.

That makes good sense!

Have you tried other springs yourself? I'm taking the wild guess that you maybe have more than one 'Gibbs' 🙂

I simply just took the "chance" after reading these two threads:

I hope the springs will work great and if not I can accept the loss of 10USD 🙂

Congratulations! Waiting for your impressions and of course, lots of photos! Gibbs is an amazing razor!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back with news!

I received the razor today and it looks pretty great and almost unused. Hopefully the pictures shows that.

IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

As you can see one pretty crucial piece is missing! THE ORIGINAL SPRING 🧐

Of course I got pretty bummed about that and furthermore it looks like the "little red dot" is missing too? 🙁

Well, now the springs from China definitely don't seem like such a bad idea 😅

Top Bottom