What's new

Ghee

Anyone else love this stuff...

I've made before using local butter and it turned out great..But I've taking the easy way out(not cheap way out) and pick up a some from the store.Its just as fine as homemade..

I read that you simmer butter and remove the liquid residue. Do I assume the liquid residue will be heavier, and sink to the bottom?

Yes. In a stick of butter there is some water. This separates when you melt it, and the water sinks. You work at it a bit and the water boils away leaving the milk fat. You also get milk solids that float to the top and need to be skimmed. So making good clarified butter is a little more work than just melting a stick of butter like making drawn butter. But doing it by the pound and keeping it in the cooktop is worth the effort. I just pan fried a steak for my dinner in some a few hours ago.

Real ghee is a little different from just clarified butter. The cream is cultured a little like yoghurt - but not regular yoghurt cultures. Room temperature ghee cultures. (Anyone from rural India here feel free to chime in, since I'm approaching my knowledge limit.) Then the ghee butter is churned from the cultured cream.

It tastes a little bit different. And frankly I find that I have a culturally influenced preference for plain old clarified butter over ghee.

There's a ton of recipes on YouTube.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
mrb7 pretty much sums up clarified butter production. I was under the impression that ghee was boiled- I always learn something new here.

So many "high end" products are a breeze to make at home, from pickles to gravlax to you name it.

What has a snootier name than Crème fraîche? Put a pint of heavy cream in a glass jar. Add a tablespoon of buttermilk. Cover and leave on top of the refrigerator overnight. Done.

How do you store this once you make it? I've recently seen ghee at my local Trader Joe's, but it's room temperature and I always look at it and wonder if that's how you would do it if you made it at home.
Admittedly I have not done a quick Google search which will probably unearth plenty of info... Would rather hear from the local B&B experts than the interweb masses ;-)

One of my really good friends from college was Indian, her pug once got into a pot of Ghee. I can't imagine what that looked like, but I imagine it was gross but hilarious at the same time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
One of my really good friends from college was Indian, her pug once got into a pot of Ghee. I can't imagine what that looked like, but I imagine it was gross but hilarious at the same time.

Whoa! I imagine it was gross but hilarious immediately when it happened. I imagine the hilarity faded the next day. :eek:

Clarified butter and Ghee both are good if you are lactose intolerant. The milk solids contain the lactose. Once those are gone, what is left does not cause issues. I know this from experience.

mrb7 pretty much sums up clarified butter production. I was under the impression that ghee was boiled- I always learn something new here.[/FONT]

Ghee is boiled just like clarified butter. It's just that the butter used in ghee is churned from cultured cream instead of regular cream like regular butter.

The difference in taste is subtle but noticeable.

Seems that if you're buying products marketed as ghee in the USA the culturing step is sometimes omitted. I'd like to get a pound of ghee made by someone's grandmother in rural SE Asia to try sometime. But I'd probably go to prison for importing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom