What's new

Getting a Haircut during this Crisis, Hmmm?

I’m under no illusions that I could do this and not have my wife laugh in my face. Loudly and for a long long time.

So she’s cutting it now.

I usually have longer hair on top with a fade on the sides. I used to just buzz it in high school and have been contemplating doing the same thing again. Then again, maybe time to head shave? :cornut::a5:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think you'll be able to do most of the back without looking and then use the mirrors for just shaving the neck and trimming around the ears.

It takes a few times to figure out the easiest ways to do it however.

That's exactly what I'd come up with as my next plan.

The link in my post #114 is interesting in regard to the back. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the thesis of the article. I can't say I know how the back of my head has been done by the various pros over the years nor what I like and don't like there.

That's exactly what I'd come up with as my next plan.

The link in my post #114 is interesting in regard to the back. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the thesis of the article. I can't say I know how the back of my head has been done by the various pros over the years nor what I like and don't like there.

I just went back and clicked on that link. I think she is a little obsessed with that little "tail" that she is leaving.

I'm not really a fan of that but I do agree that it looks better to try to keep the natural growth pattern.

There are some people who let their hair grow thick and then just chop it off at the neckline and it can look like they are wearing a hair piece because you can lift so much hair at the neckline.

When I'm taking a shower and washing my hair and I notice that my hair is getting long and thick at the neckline that's when I start to think "maybe it's about time for a trim".

On the other hand some people taper the back of their heads so much that it goes almost all the way up to the top of their head. I don't like that either.

So I tend to use a shorter guard on the sides and back and a little shorter still when I get to the neckline. What ever the natural grow pattern is, it just gets closer with the shorter guard.

I use a trimmer to shave hair that is growing down the neck (I'm not a hairy guy) but picture guys with hairy backs and some of the hair starts to grow up the neck. I would shave that. I don't consider that part of the "natural" neckline.

I don't try to round it or block it out as some people do. I just used a shorter guard down low, as I mentioned. I don't have a goofy little tail like in her pictures that she seems to like.

I think the key is to keep it as natural looking as possible but if it starts to look goofy...don't do that. :)

She is right though, there is a learning curve and there is something to learn about the neckline. Initially we all probably try to round or square it off a little too much and in the process we raise the hairline too much. I've learned to not do that.

Another thing that can happen, if you try to do that is that you think it doesn't look quite right so you raise it a little more until you realize it just looks stupid and then it's too late. If that happens though, just stop cutting and wait a week and things will look a lot better. Don't keep trying to fix it by cutting more. :)

I used to cut my own with a Whal system of guides, worked pretty well. Now I shave it completely. No muss no fuss.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just went back and clicked on that link. I think she is a little obsessed with that little "tail" that she is leaving.

I'm not really a fan of that but I do agree that it looks better to try to keep the natural growth pattern.

There are some people who let their hair grow thick and then just chop it off at the neckline and it can look like they are wearing a hair piece because you can lift so much hair at the neckline.

When I'm taking a shower and washing my hair and I notice that my hair is getting long and thick at the neckline that's when I start to think "maybe it's about time for a trim".

On the other hand some people taper the back of their heads so much that it goes almost all the way up to the top of their head. I don't like that either.

So I tend to use a shorter guard on the sides and back and a little shorter still when I get to the neckline. What ever the natural grow pattern is, it just gets closer with the shorter guard.

I use a trimmer to shave hair that is growing down the neck (I'm not a hairy guy) but picture guys with hairy backs and some of the hair starts to grow up the neck. I would shave that. I don't consider that part of the "natural" neckline.

I don't try to round it or block it out as some people do. I just used a shorter guard down low, as I mentioned. I don't have a goofy little tail like in her pictures that she seems to like.

I think the key is to keep it as natural looking as possible but if it starts to look goofy...don't do that. :)

She is right though, there is a learning curve and there is something to learn about the neckline. Initially we all probably try to round or square it off a little too much and in the process we raise the hairline too much. I've learned to not do that.

Another thing that can happen, if you try to do that is that you think it doesn't look quite right so you raise it a little more until you realize it just looks stupid and then it's too late. If that happens though, just stop cutting and wait a week and things will look a lot better. Don't keep trying to fix it by cutting more. :)

Yes, I agree with you entirely. Natural is fine unless it looks goofy (and that one does). Of course, if you like it, it's your hair. I'm not a fan of anything Hair Nazi related; but some people have hair cuts or hair styles which I wouldn't be caught dead with.

1587231287008.png

I know a few guys who have what I think is nice looking haircuts, haircuts I could get away with professionally, but haircuts which look far too high maintenance to me.

As a kid I had a flattop haircut for a while. I think I liked how it looked better than a regular crew cut, at least on me, but it required very frequent haircuts or it began to look terrible. I think I went to the barbershop every two weeks. Back then my family watched every penny so even the cost of a 35 cents haircut was probably something my mom had to factor into what we ate for supper. I didn't dislike going to the barbershop and my friends went about that often too. We all had either crew cuts or flattops or short regular boys haircuts.

There were boys with long hair, like ducktails and such, but my parents would have killed me before letting me have that style. Plus, where I lived only juvenile delinquents had ducktails.

Anyway, I don't want to have to either go get a haircut every two weeks or cut my own every two weeks. If I end up trimming it frequently that's okay, but I don't want the haircut or the hair style to dictate too frequently required maintenance.

I'm also of the opinion that I should wear my hair such that my haircut tends to allow my hair to do what it does best. More natural than contrived. I know guy who have what I think are truly great haircuts for them, but haircuts I'd never be able to achieve with the fine and thinning hair I have, or haircuts my cowlicks won't support.

back of head trimming device (vendor's).png

The haircut I did yesterday is not really squared off at the bottom of the neck, but I did use the device ^ to trim it (the device is pictured with a trimmer below it, trimming). I think I definitely went too high; how high to trim was something I'd tried to learn until after yesterday's haircut. I did not attempt to trim the bottom edge perfectly, so it's a more or less flat horizontal across the neck cut but not precise. Maybe a smidgeon shaggy, but only a small smidgeon.

I didn't trim the area between my hair in back and my ears either. I have hearing aids in the picture below and I prefer them to be not obvious. They're behind and on top of my ears with wires going to the ear canals (like most hearing aids). I don't care if people see them, but I don't want to display 'em. I did trim around my ears with scissors.

DonnaTook.Back.4-17-20.640.jpg

This is a photo of the back of my head post yesterday's haircut. As I said, not perfect; I see the issues my imperfect work left behind. The front and sides are much much better, but I'm not sure the back can be vastly improved either.

My wife assures me it's not funny looking. She took the photo of the back for me, and it looks pretty much accceptable to me, but not how I'll do it next time. I also sent pictures to my daughter and to my wife's quilting friend. The quilting friend is also a very old friend of mine; she loves how my hair cut came out. She knows it's not perfect, but I can tell she's very impressed (and not easily impressed is she).

How will I do the back next time? Really I'm not sure.

I've been reading on and looking at pictures on the subject of how to best style and cut hair when there is balding. I have a receding hair line, and thinning hair, and fine hair to begin with, and a growing balding area in the back.

In other words I'm trying to best deal with the balding issue along with the questions about how to best do the back in general, how low or high to do it, how natural, etc. While I trust my now missing in the crisis stylist I'm not sure she'll return to business after it's over nor am I sure I'll decide to let her or someone else cut my hair. I'm way too pleased with my first effort. I may never abandon my clippers.

The back is definitely much more difficult to deal with, more so when the hair is thinner there and there is balding.

Good thing I have a while to figure it out.

1587230953660.png

I'm also trying to find a good barbershop cape. The umbrella gizmos ^ sold on Amazon look like, by the reviews, garbage. I want arm openings (click the thumbnails to enlarge) like they have, but coupled with a long, regular looking barbershop cape. I've sent messages to two good companies both of which make quality barber capes; my thesis is I'm not the only gentleman who'd buy one if they made it.

Happy hair cuts,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All this talk of home haircuts has gotten me thinking about giving it a go. I have got far less challenges than most of you though, as my hair is long enough to bring around to the front, so I can see what I'm doing :lol:

I did get it cut to a set length for a while, but over the last couple of years, I switched to only getting the ends trimmed once or twice a year. Day to day, I either let it fall around my shoulders naturally, or tie it back, particularly if it's windy. I think it's around 8 months since I last had the ends trimmed.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have had a few bad tangles at the end when brushing, so I might just trim the ends myself. I'll probably benefit from having it evened up once my local barber reopens, but any length variations wouldnt really be particularly noticeable unless I straighten it.

Anyway, I don't want to have to either go get a haircut every two weeks or cut my own every two weeks. If I end up trimming it frequently that's okay, but I don't want the haircut or the hair style to dictate too frequently required maintenance.

I'm also of the opinion that I should wear my hair such that my haircut tends to allow my hair to do what it does best. More natural than contrived. I know guy who have what I think are truly great haircuts for them, but haircuts I'd never be able to achieve with the fine and thinning hair I have, or haircuts my cowlicks won't support.

View attachment 1088423
You don't want to use the template gadget for the back. You want to follow your natural hairline as much as possible. That will look better as it grows out. It looks like you went a little too high in the back this time, but it will fill in soon.

If you do a "regular haircut" or "taper" it will not require much maintenance. You can refresh your haircut every two weeks just by trimming and cleaning up around the edges.

For the back, avoid cutting into the hairline. If you can keep your natural hairline, but just taper it slightly, it should look good as the hair grows out. It will look better with a taper than an abrupt transition or blunt cut.

Yes, I agree with you entirely. Natural is fine unless it looks goofy (and that one does). Of course, if you like it, it's your hair. I'm not a fan of anything Hair Nazi related; but some people have hair cuts or hair styles which I wouldn't be caught dead with.

View attachment 1088439

I know a few guys who have what I think is nice looking haircuts, haircuts I could get away with professionally, but haircuts which look far too high maintenance to me.

As a kid I had a flattop haircut for a while. I think I liked how it looked better than a regular crew cut, at least on me, but it required very frequent haircuts or it began to look terrible. I think I went to the barbershop every two weeks. Back then my family watched every penny so even the cost of a 35 cents haircut was probably something my mom had to factor into what we ate for supper. I didn't dislike going to the barbershop and my friends went about that often too. We all had either crew cuts or flattops or short regular boys haircuts.

There were boys with long hair, like ducktails and such, but my parents would have killed me before letting me have that style. Plus, where I lived only juvenile delinquents had ducktails.

View attachment 1088423

The haircut I did yesterday is not really squared off at the bottom of the neck, but I did use the device ^ to trim it (the device is pictured with a trimmer below it, trimming). I think I definitely went too high; how high to trim was something I'd tried to learn until after yesterday's haircut. I did not attempt to trim the bottom edge perfectly, so it's a more or less flat horizontal across the neck cut but not precise. Maybe a smidgeon shaggy, but only a small smidgeon.

I didn't trim the area between my hair in back and my ears either. I have hearing aids in the picture below and I prefer them to be not obvious. They're behind and on top of my ears with wires going to the ear canals (like most hearing aids). I don't care if people see them, but I don't want to display 'em. I did trim around my ears with scissors.

View attachment 1088432

This is a photo of the back of my head post yesterday's haircut. As I said, not perfect; I see the issues my imperfect work left behind. The front and sides are much much better, but I'm not sure the back can be vastly improved either.

My wife assures me it's not funny looking. She took the photo of the back for me, and it looks pretty much accceptable to me, but not how I'll do it next time. I also sent pictures to my daughter and to my wife's quilting friend. The quilting friend is also a very old friend of mine; she loves how my hair cut came out. She knows it's not perfect, but I can tell she's very impressed (and not easily impressed is she).

How will I do the back next time? Really I'm not sure.

I've been reading on and looking at pictures on the subject of how to best style and cut hair when there is balding. I have a receding hair line, and thinning hair, and fine hair to begin with, and a growing balding area in the back.

In other words I'm trying to best deal with the balding issue along with the questions about how to best do the back in general, how low or high to do it, how natural, etc. While I trust my now missing in the crisis stylist I'm not sure she'll return to business after it's over nor am I sure I'll decide to let her or someone else cut my hair. I'm way too pleased with my first effort. I may never abandon my clippers.

The back is definitely much more difficult to deal with, more so when the hair is thinner there and there is balding.

Good thing I have a while to figure it out.

View attachment 1088433

I'm also trying to find a good barbershop cape. The umbrella gizmos ^ sold on Amazon look like, by the reviews, garbage. I want arm openings (click the thumbnails to enlarge) like they have, but coupled with a long, regular looking barbershop cape. I've sent messages to two good companies both of which make quality barber capes; my thesis is I'm not the only gentleman who'd buy one if they made it.

Happy hair cuts,

Jim
I just cut my hair in front of the bathroom mirror and let it fall on the floor and I brush the back of my neck with my hand when I'm finished. I then just brush the hair on the floor together and pick it up and throw it away. It's not hard or too messy.

I have even thinner hair in the back and more balding in the crown than you. I don't try to let my hair get too long, in an attempt to cover it up (I can't at this point anyway). I just cut it evenly . My hair is mainly grey at this point and actually blends in better than when I had darker hair with a bald spot in the crown.

If I was "judging" yours and if the two choices were "good" or "bad"...you did a good job. However, I would use a shorter guard for the back. I would use the same size guard on the back of your head that you used for the side of your head. I'd have an even shorter guard for the very bottom part of the back of your head.

I'd have one guard used for the top of your head, except maybe longer in front. Overall, just from the picture, I'd say that you have too many long strands of hair going from the top of your head all the way to the back of your neck.

That's just my feedback, I'm not saying it's the only way to do it. I do understand that you are trying to make the hearing-aid area not as noticeable and the thinning hair at the crown less noticeable.

You've still got a good amount of hair in that area but at a certain point trying to hide it with long hair can just draw more attention to it. After while you will probably have little choice anyway and you might decide to just cut the hair evenly as you would do if there was no thinning issues and just "own it". :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just cut my hair in front of the bathroom mirror and let it fall on the floor and I brush the back of my neck with my hand when I'm finished. I then just brush the hair on the floor together and pick it up and throw it away. It's not hard or too messy.

I have even thinner hair in the back and more balding in the crown than you. I don't try to let my hair get too long, in an attempt to cover it up (I can't at this point anyway). I just cut it evenly . My hair is mainly grey at this point and actually blends in better than when I had darker hair with a bald spot in the crown.

If I was "judging" yours and if the two choices were "good" or "bad"...you did a good job. However, I would use a shorter guard for the back. I would use the same size guard on the back of your head that you used for the side of your head. I'd have an even shorter guard for the very bottom part of the back of your head.

I'd have one guard used for the top of your head, except maybe longer in front. Overall, just from the picture, I'd say that you have too many long strands of hair going from the top of your head all the way to the back of your neck.

That's just my feedback, I'm not saying it's the only way to do it. I do understand that you are trying to make the hearing-aid area not as noticeable and the thinning hair at the crown less noticeable.

You've still got a good amount of hair in that area but at a certain point trying to hide it with long hair can just draw more attention to it. After while you will probably have little choice anyway and you might decide to just cut the hair evenly as you would do if there was no thinning issues and just "own it". :)

Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks for it.

Mostly I was only trying to follow the style and lengths from my last haircut by my stylist. I know I was pretty successful in the front and on the sides because I'm used to looking at that, and because I could see what I was doing there. Not so much in the back though. I don't even know what the stylist attempted or did in the area of my balding in the back.

It might be that she was doing as you suggest, and I failed to follow her lead in the back. I really don't know.

Maybe my wife can tell me. She's looked at me from behind of course. Not sure she can convey what she has seen many times. Or, maybe my secretary. Or, my daughter. I'll ask 'em.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I received the hand held mirror I ordered.

1587486993701.png

Here's the link.

This is the one to get I think. It's very large, with good optics, a light weight, and a nice round handle. Using it, I can get exactly the right views needed to see the back of my head. The kit I was using was good, but this is good enough (great really). I see what I need to see to do a good tuneup of the haircut I gave myself last Friday.

Glad I ordered this particular mirror.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I used the clippers and scissors on the back of my head. It's improved but I'm awarding myself no cigar just yet..

Happy haircuts to you gentlemen,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Be careful with those scissors. :) I see the warning signs for a longer, more entertaining story soon...:)

I see what you're talking about. Looking back in time I could have quit doing anything much to the back and sides about a third of the way through my first haircut. Maybe I should have!

Today I messed with my trimmers.

No, I didn't cut any hair, except on my arm, but I did zero gap the Andis Styliner 2 trimmers. There's another video of a guy showing exactly how to adjust to perfection the small flat headed screw. Actually, there are numerous videos on how to mess with and improve most trimmers. Apparently, they don't all come adjusted "just right" from the factory.

1587742470953.png

You can find videos on how to zero gap without buying the blade gap setter, too.

Did I improve my clippers? I have no idea, but I learned some stuff and had a good time of it (oh, and did no damage).

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Yeah, shops are all closed around here too. Tried cutting my own . Turned out more like a mohawk than anything else. Used to cut mine all the time but I only know one style. Buzz. #1 blade or no blade at all. Harder this time cause my hair was significantly longer and I didn't want to buzz it all off.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I worked a little bit on better blending the hair on the back of my head and the hair which is kinda between the back and the sides. These are, to me, and I suspect to everyone cutting their own hair, the really hard parts to do.

1588433926581.png

Being one to think it important to have the appropriate tools I purchased a pair of thinning shears. I also read a bunch of articles on how to use blending or thinning shears and other tools to blend hair. Watched a few videos too but none worth linking to or embedding.

This website has some good information on cutting men's hair although it's not DIY oriented. It seems better than many sources I've looked at, at least for my needs.

Going into it today I had a pretty good idea what I was trying to achieve which wasn't much at all. I was also very careful to just do a little work.

1588434401176.png

I did my work on my big front porch. Since my house sits sideways to the street I was on the side of the house, but it's still my front porch. My next door neighbor, Dan, was in my side yard with his little kids one of whom was swinging on the swing in our tree. Later his wife, Kerri, replaced him. My friends from down the street dropped by, too. The mailman came. Everyone had plenty to say about DIY haircuts, and a couple of people reported either recent efforts or past experience.

It was fun.

With the regular haircutting scissors I bought to begin with (not the thinning shears with teeth) I trimmed a little bit around my ears. I also took a little bit, very little bit, off the top towards the back.

I know what I don't want after I've used scissors or clippers...

proxy.php

Easy does it!

I'm not sorry I bought clippers and a trimmer. However, I think a guy could learn to cut his hair with thinning shears, a regular pair of haircutting shears, a couple of mirrors, a brush, and maybe a comb and a few hair clips. I've heard of women who use only fingernail scissors.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Top Bottom