What's new

Getting a Haircut during this Crisis, Hmmm?

I'm absolutely dying to get a haircut especially as the weather gets warmer. I might bite the bullet and give myself a haircut but the problem is I usually get a skin fade and no way I can do that myself.

Gave the missus an old clipper set left over from service days, grade 4 all over then a grade 1 back and sides. Turned out not bad but then I’ve never worried about my hair as it’s there and I can’t see it.
my son decided to cut his own today turned out interesting, mario bros could use his hair line. Anyway he wouldn’t let us help and it’s now our fault. He is 15 if anyone wants him, house trained had all the shots and will appear when called (eventually)

Clipper sizes are not totally uniform across manufacturers and models. The #1 is about 1/8" or 3mm. #2 is 2/8" = 1/4", and so on.

Apparently high taxes are not driving enough people out of the State, so our Fearless Leader, sans monocle (the mask must fog it up), has decided to keep the State closed until there are no residents left to catch COVID. I do find it interesting that unlike the rest of us Fearless Leader's hair always looks neat and freshly cut.

Anyway, thanks to Atlantic59 for his clipper lesson. 10 weeks since my last #1 buzz, and with barber shops still a month or two away from reopening, I broke down and bought clippers. Since I view this as temporary, I bought the cheapest I could find, Mangroomer Ultimate Self-Haircut Kit for under $40. I used it for the first time this morning, giving myself a #2 buzz as a test. My wife gave her approval and said she likes the #2 better than my usual #1. I didn't tell her that the kit came with 3 combs shorter than a #1 and that I plan on testing them out at some point.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've now acquired several blades for my Oster 76.
  1. 000
  2. 1
  3. 1.5
  4. 2
  5. 3.5
  6. 3.75
  7. Texturizing
I'm planning to give Jackson, my six year old pseudo foster child and little friend and neighbor (he lives with my friend who is his great-grandmother and legal guardian), a haircut. Maybe tomorrow.

The first two blades came with my clippers.

1589561780316.png

Nobody actually needs any blades other than the 000 (and guards or combs) except crazy people and barbers.

Note to Cal@Cal, Rave@Raven Koenes, Mike @Esox, and others: Do not tell Big Nurse!

Happy haircuts,

Jim

For the past several weeks I learned to cut my own hair. I purchased an Andis clipper and a pair of shears. I almost cut my hair on a weekly basis to learn and experiment. I'm very happy that I had started this. Such a fulfilling activity for me and bonding moment with my kids and wife. And I am actually getting better at it as gain more experience and confidence. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've now acquired several blades for my Oster 76.
  1. 000
  2. 1
  3. 1.5
  4. 2
  5. 3.5
  6. 3.75
  7. Texturizing
I'm planning to give Jackson, my six year old pseudo foster child and little friend and neighbor (he lives with my friend who is his great-grandmother and legal guardian), a haircut. Maybe tomorrow.

The first two blades came with my clippers.

View attachment 1100424

Nobody actually needs any blades other than the 000 (and guards or combs) except crazy people and barbers.

Note to Cal@Cal, Rave@Raven Koenes, Mike @Esox, and others: Do not tell Big Nurse!

Happy haircuts,

Jim

My wife says I should pay Jackson $10 for the "haircut" I gave him.

She's wrong...

1589640409109.png

At least.

Pretty good it was except in the back. Terrible in the back. My wife mentioned Frankenstein.

1589640791598.png

I feel terrible about messing it up, but realize it's just hair and will grow. I see how to do it better (much better) in the back and elsewhere next time. Not sure there will be a next time. I'd have to be alive for a next time. No, I'm not worried about a natural death.

The good thing is Jackson could care less. The bad thing is my wife, and his great-grandmother, and his mother, and his aunt. And, I'm afraid, his friends; I hope nobody laughs at him.

I hope nobody comes after me with scissors, knives, guns, and rocket launchers.

Trust me on this: There's a reason barber schools cut your hair for such a low price!

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another DIY video. Perhaps helpful to you if you're trying to figure out how to cut your own hair, particularly if your haircut is remotely like his.

I've posted this one for several reasons. The guy's been doing his own hair for ten years. His system is simple enough (and within what seems to be the standard so not idiosyncratic). Etc.

It's also what I think of as a regular businessmen's haircut which means it's somewhat similar to what I think I can easily get away with in my office.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

I have an appointment with my long-time barber tomorrow, Tuesday!

In March I was lucky to get a cut just as the lockdown nonsense was starting and nobody knew what was coming. Since then I've used an ancient Hair-Wiz (remember them?) that I've had since a teenager, with new blades from eBay. I cut carefully, a little bit every few days, and always with the grain of the hair. It has taken some of the thickness and unruliness out of my hair. The blades aren't that sharp, and God only knows what the back of my hair looks like at the neck, but it's better than not cutting at all.

My "Commander Riker"-style beard (I grew mine in '88 some months before he turned up with his) gets trimmed with a Wahl electric.

For the past several weeks I learned to cut my own hair.

Last time I tried to cut my own hair, I went to far, and ended up shaving my head; which concerned my friends and family since I have a full head of hair. It was a long time ago.

My wife says I should pay Jackson $10 for the "haircut" I gave him.

She's wrong...

View attachment 1100862

At least.

Pretty good it was except in the back. Terrible in the back. My wife mentioned Frankenstein.

View attachment 1100863

I feel terrible about messing it up, but realize it's just hair and will grow. I see how to do it better (much better) in the back and elsewhere next time. Not sure there will be a next time. I'd have to be alive for a next time. No, I'm not worried about a natural death.

The good thing is Jackson could care less. The bad thing is my wife, and his great-grandmother, and his mother, and his aunt. And, I'm afraid, his friends; I hope nobody laughs at him.

I hope nobody comes after me with scissors, knives, guns, and rocket launchers.

Trust me on this: There's a reason barber schools cut your hair for such a low price!

Happy haircuts,

Jim

I'm curious about your views on what the back should look like. I've noticed that's what you've talked about the most.

For "standard" haircuts I think of the sides and the back as being the same so I'm not clear what "blending' you are doing or what you messed up on your little friends head?

Especially for a little kid I would think you would use one short guard for the sides and back and a little longer one for the top and maybe leave the very front even a bit longer.

I'm not judging :) just curious.

They opened on the 11 th, got an appointment on the 6 th interesting how the dress code will be

Attachments

• 583539A1-9697-4AA1-BE4F-7BF76C73CBFC.jpeg
    583539A1-9697-4AA1-BE4F-7BF76C73CBFC.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 8

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm curious about your views on what the back should look like. I've noticed that's what you've talked about the most.

For "standard" haircuts I think of the sides and the back as being the same so I'm not clear what "blending' you are doing or what you messed up on your little friends head?

Especially for a little kid I would think you would use one short guard for the sides and back and a little longer one for the top and maybe leave the very front even a bit longer.

I'm not judging :) just curious.

I agree with you on how to do it, but how I actually did it was stupid. I cut it too short in the back, too high. It was a learning experience.

The actual blades (without guards) are useless unless you're going a very very short haircut!

They're probably useful at the very bottom for some haircuts (but be very careful). I learned this the hard way.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did a trim today. Very little other than a bit of "thinning" or "blending" on the top and upper sides and upper back + a bit of work on my sideburns and around my ears. Mostly just used the scissors and the blending shears, but did use the Oster 76 a little bit and the Andis trimmer a little bit.

1590945892126.png

I'm not very good at the back yet. Still, it's not a bad looking trim. I'd call it a decided improvement.

It seems l'm kinda letting the top grow longer than my stylist used to like it.

1590945837498.png

The really hard part of cutting my own hair - meaning the part I'm lousy at and which is hard to see and awkward to cut - is the back of the neck, back of the head, and from the top of the ears to the bottom of my neck. I am, however, and this is important, doing better with these area.

The guys who make the videos and make cutting the back of their own head look easy have probably been at it for a while. Just saying...

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Last professional haircut was mid-December and being stuck in the hospital, in particular with the restrictions because of covid, my options were limited. I figured a good place to start was the hardware so ordered Philips trimmer from Amazon and then went hunting for a brave nurse.

Found one who was more than happy to give me a trim right before a shower and it was quite the sight. Me in a commode chair (what I was using at the time to get wheeled in/out of the shower) naked except for an isolation gown as the stand in for a barber's cape and Roxy my very giggly Filipino nurse. Took a bit of effort to remove over four months of hair but the end result was actually pretty darn good. I've paid for worse from so called professionals.

I've been trimming my hair every two weeks with a pair of Wahl 5-Star Seniors; doing the top with shears and thinning shears, and a Wahl Peanut trimmer for the edging. Definitely getting better at it, especially tapering the sides and back. Doing a straighforward short crew cut with longer top.

In our County the barbers, restaurants and retail shops still haven’t opened. Last weekend I took the family on a trip to a museum my son wanted to see for his birthday in a nearby County. We were surprised to find an open barber shop (my two boys and I got haircuts), as well as stores and a wonderful outdoor restaurant that even had live music! It was one heckuva good day, that’s for sure!

Top Bottom