What's new

Geometry, Straights & Shavettes - A Lament

Well, today I did my biennial foray into using one of my straights. I got out the strop and razor and stropped the blade. I lathered up with a fine Mogno lather and started shaving. Got the throat OK, next, sideburns down, CLUNK. The back of the blade hit my glasses. The blade is longer than the space from my ear to my glasses. I shaved what I could then cleaned up with my Feather AC SS. I then cleaned the straight's blade, stropped it on the felt side of the strop, oiled it and put it away. I suppose in a couple of years, I will forget why I don't use the straights much and try again, or I could sell the strop and a pair of matching razors, but, nah, a grandson may want to go that route...

It has been a couple of years since I tried a straight, I have been using a Feather AC SS during that period. The Feather's "blade" is about half the length of my straights. Because of this, it is far more maneuverable than my straights and I can get a good shave with it without hitting my glasses, which I need to see anything.

When I first started with a straight, I could see well enough to shave without glasses. In the last decade or so, I need the glasses to see anything; I periodically try to use a straight anyway - nostalgia I guess. The part of the shave that I could do was great, but having to use multiple razors to complete a shave is not my style. So, I will soldier on with the Feather as my usable "straight". That, along with my 1934 Aristocrat and 1912 GEM are the razors that I keep to hand in the bathroom. They all give great shaves. A bunch of others are awaiting my grandsons growing up...

In the big scheme of things, this situation is a minor annoyance. THBS, I do miss a good shave with a proper straight - although the Feather is sharper than I have ever gotten a straight.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here’s your solution.

There are many other razors with shorter lengths, Manaslu 500, many of the Heljestrands, etc. Of course you can always make or have made, your razor into a shorter length.

8F8C7DC6-503A-4330-9B18-4E99598E7893.jpeg

Steve56

Sure, all of those. Portland razor make a shortie. Any custom maker will. Dovo Bismarcks and others using the same blank (Wacker, Boker) are relatively short, around 63mm or so vs 72-75 standard length. For mods, give Alfredo @Doc226 a message. Glen Mercurio probably can/will do that. Max Specher makes midis and smaller.

Max Sprecher custom midi 63mm

Second image top to bottom:

Filarmonica 14 (standard length) 72mm
Rigarazor 65mm
Dovo Bismarck 63mm
Heljestrand M.K. 32 63mm
King Pelican 58mm

I don’t keep up on custom makers and whether they’re active or not, but Max Sprecher and our own @bluesman 7 (Victor) come to mind.

09ACD800-94F0-44E3-8FB5-A311D95DBE7C.jpeg
9751C48D-9E5C-4211-9033-2BCE16143ED9.jpeg

That King Pelican is sweet. It’s only 8mm longer than the Feather AC pro blades. Is it still in production or vintage only?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That King Pelican is sweet. It’s only 8mm longer than the Feather AC pro blades. Is it still in production or vintage only?
The King Pelican 14 is no longer in current production but NOS are fairly readily available online (like eBay, etc.). Expect to pay about USD 100 (plus shipping) and up for a good one.

Just do a search for King Pelican razor. Make sure that you are looking at the 14. It is a near-wedge. There are other King Pelicans of different sizes.

Last edited:

Steve56

No longer in production, but used ones are around. Also look for an Eiko of similar design, the blades are identical though the tang might be a little different. They’re 1/4 hollow-ish.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, today I did my biennial foray into using one of my straights. I got out the strop and razor and stropped the blade. I lathered up with a fine Mogno lather and started shaving. Got the throat OK, next, sideburns down, CLUNK. The back of the blade hit my glasses. The blade is longer than the space from my ear to my glasses. I shaved what I could then cleaned up with my Feather AC SS. I then cleaned the straight's blade, stropped it on the felt side of the strop, oiled it and put it away. I suppose in a couple of years, I will forget why I don't use the straights much and try again, or I could sell the strop and a pair of matching razors, but, nah, a grandson may want to go that route...

It has been a couple of years since I tried a straight, I have been using a Feather AC SS during that period. The Feather's "blade" is about half the length of my straights. Because of this, it is far more maneuverable than my straights and I can get a good shave with it without hitting my glasses, which I need to see anything.

When I first started with a straight, I could see well enough to shave without glasses. In the last decade or so, I need the glasses to see anything; I periodically try to use a straight anyway - nostalgia I guess. The part of the shave that I could do was great, but having to use multiple razors to complete a shave is not my style. So, I will soldier on with the Feather as my usable "straight". That, along with my 1934 Aristocrat and 1912 GEM are the razors that I keep to hand in the bathroom. They all give great shaves. A bunch of others are awaiting my grandsons growing up...

In the big scheme of things, this situation is a minor annoyance. THBS, I do miss a good shave with a proper straight - although the Feather is sharper than I have ever gotten a straight.
No reason not to continue with your feather. I enjoy my straight razors but use my Parker shavette often and it always delivers excellent shaves and requires no maintenance. Traditional straight razors are easily sharp enough to give an excellent shave but getting one truly equal to the sharpness of a razor blade is tantamount to pursuing the Holy Grail.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Traditional straight razors are easily sharp enough to give an excellent shave but getting one truly equal to the sharpness of a razor blade is tantamount to pursuing the Holy Grail.
Not quite. I have on rare occasions managed to get some of my edges up to about a DE Feather edge sharpness. It takes diamond pasted balsa strops and some luck but it can be done.

Top Bottom