What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials: The Pocket Square

Excellent info, thank you. One more thing I can add to the list of things I can do to set myself apart from the herd.

I am finding that this is a great forum for all sorts of - not obscure - but perhaps uncommon knowledge. You guys will make a proper gentleman out of me yet! :w00t:

Seriously, very nicely done and appreciated.

Great post! You know that Jimmy Stewart was one dapper guy! The pictures that you posted were awesome.

Thanks,
R

First, thank you - this is something I've wondered about for a long time.

Figure 2 and figure 3 both seem to have deliberate sets of three-waves each.

I would like to see the tutorial for those if you have the time.

Edited: the more I look at them, the more I think it was just random, and I'm not sure why I saw them as defined as I thought they were.

Still, a three-wave in the same direction would be good looking - one with the center wave a little higher than the ones on either side of it.

Last edited:
I plan on acquiring my first pocket square soon but wanted the forum's opinion before I take the leap.

I bought a silver tie today with a pink floral pattern. so, I could probably go with some shade of pink for the pocket square, just as long as the pink doesn't match exactly. my dilemma comes from the color of the shirt. would it be a fashion faux pas if I wore a light pink shirt, my silver/pink tie and a pink pocket square with my charcoal grey suit? or, should I forego the pink shirt and go with a more neutral color like white?

Excellent posts!

I've read that linen pairs best with a formal, worsted suit due to the contrasting textures. Likewise, silk contrasts well with tweed and other odd jackets with a rougher texture.

Two places to purchase pocket squares online are:

Kent Wang - I own some of his linen squares, and they are excellent for the price. The edges are hand-rolled and exquisite. His customer service is fantastic as well.

Sam Hober - I've not purchased from him, but he is well-regarded for Thai silk pocket squares and quality ties.

thanks for the links. might have to order a PS from Kent Wang.

btw, is there some rule of thumb when it comes to the type of pocket square I use? is it bad form to use a silk pocket square if wearing a silk tie, or should I go with a different material like linen or cotton?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I bought a silver tie today with a pink floral pattern. so, I could probably go with some shade of pink for the pocket square, just as long as the pink doesn't match exactly. my dilemma comes from the color of the shirt. would it be a fashion faux pas if I wore a light pink shirt, my silver/pink tie and a pink pocket square with my charcoal grey suit? or, should I forego the pink shirt and go with a more neutral color like white?
There is nothing wrong (and actually quite a bit right) with one of the colours in your PS matching one of the colours in your tie ... what is to be avoided is the "look I bought the set" look of a tie and PS that are made of the same-patterned material.
thanks for the links. might have to order a PS from Kent Wang.

btw, is there some rule of thumb when it comes to the type of pocket square I use? is it bad form to use a silk pocket square if wearing a silk tie, or should I go with a different material like linen or cotton?

Oddly enough, my order of Sam Hober PSs came in today ... what timing for this thread to pop up! (+1 for Sam Hober, btw)

Having both the tie and PS be silk is just fine. Ditto for having them NOT be both silk.

I think I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway. Can a pocket square be worn with a casual outfit with a jacket and no tie? With a black jacket a pocket square could be a punch of colour, but does it work without the tie?

proxy.php

here's my new tie. can anyone recommend a pocket square to go with this? part of me wants to wear a lilac colored shirt but i'm also thinking of going with a conservative white. I think the tie should go well with a dark charcoal suit but I don't want to overdo it with the pinks.

proxy.php

I like this Kent Wang PS but I don't think they carry it anymore. thoughts?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
haha, I kinda like it!

btw, does anyone have an opinion on the type of dress shirt I should wear? should I go with a spread collar?

I think they are just the thing to help set you apart from everyone else!! I have been using just the standard white handerchief.

EBE

proxy.php

here's my new tie. can anyone recommend a pocket square to go with this? part of me wants to wear a lilac colored shirt but i'm also thinking of going with a conservative white. I think the tie should go well with a dark charcoal suit but I don't want to overdo it with the pinks.

This one from Kent Wang, with a white shirt, spread collar and french cuffs....

proxy.php

btw, have any of you ever made your own pocket squares? I saw the tutorial on the sam hober site and thought i'd ask me wife to make one up for me. I was thinking of checking out the local fabric store and see what sort of linens/cottons/silks they had in stock

i guess i got lucky on the bay....i bought a dozen vintage silk squares in an array of colors....and now i know the finer points of how to select to color....it will be a staple of mine...

here is a question, suppose you do not wear a tie...

what about a button down shirt sport jacket, slacks or even possibly "dress" jeans...a pocket square would definately add some flair and style to your ensemble.

your thoughts ???

so I got my PS in the mail yesterday from paulfredrick.com and I think it works well with my tie - one side has lavender as the dominant color with silver paisley designs on it. the flipside has silver as the dominant color with lavender paisley designs. i'll probably go with the side that has the dominant lavender color because I don't want too much silver going on.

anyway, do any of you have a favorite fold you like to use? I tried on my newly tailored suit lastnite to show it to the wife and she loved it. I tried doing a tv fold and a single point, but what is considered the most popular? I don't want to overdo it so I thought the tv fold should suffice. any opinions?

so I got my PS in the mail yesterday from paulfredrick.com and I think it works well with my tie - one side has lavender as the dominant color with silver paisley designs on it. the flipside has silver as the dominant color with lavender paisley designs. i'll probably go with the side that has the dominant lavender color because I don't want too much silver going on.

anyway, do any of you have a favorite fold you like to use? I tried on my newly tailored suit lastnite to show it to the wife and she loved it. I tried doing a tv fold and a single point, but what is considered the most popular? I don't want to overdo it so I thought the tv fold should suffice. any opinions?

I seem to try folding them every which way, although for silk squares I tend to go more with something loose and free form and with linen (or cotton)(always white) I suppose I tend more toward something folded sharply in to points (three usually for some reason) or as just a flat even rectangle with an even amount showing outside the pocket. For a while I was feeling that white linen was really the business way to go that silk was too gaudy, but enough folks seem to have colorful silk squares these days, that I end up with them often. Also, you can be fairly subtle with these and not expose much of the square, if you are afraid of being too "flamboyant" for a particular setting. Kind of like wearing smaller cufflinks. It/they are "still there" and still add most of whatever interest it/they would add anyway, but are just less out there.

Question: What do folks do about the little maker tags on silk squares that are often near one of the corners? Remove them? Let them show? Never wear a silk square with the corners/points coming up out of the pocket? I kind of like the corners of a silk square being exposed, particularly if the square has a border of a different color than the body of the square. And, of course, it is very typical to show the corners of a linen square, so why not a silk one.

I'm to much of a redneck i saw pocket square and said to myself those are handy. In my defense i have been hanging sheetrock all week.

Top Bottom