What's new

Gentleman's Cologne

I don't really use a lot of different scents, but one of my all time favourites is Yves Sait Laurent Opium (I prefer the EDT), it's a heavy hitter at first, but then settles down. Very strong notes of citrus, coriander, jasmine, cloves, cinnamon, bergamont.

I don't use cologne, but my favorite gentleman scents are:

The Veg
Clubman
Avon Tai Winds
Avon Leather
Avon Oland

Can we describe "gentleman" for the purposes of this thread? Who is our archetype? Is he from the modern era, vintage or a timely classic? What does he drink, how does he dress? Or are we not picking a scent for a character but an attitude? It may seem pedantic but it is important.

For what it's worth there are a lot of excellent suggestions posted and I'm pleased to see this thread is 4+ pages, not all of the suggestions I would have picked, but then again, they're not for my definition of a refined gentleman; there are also some that I haven't tried that I will now put on my to-test list.

Can we describe "gentleman" for the purposes of this thread? Who is our archetype? Is he from the modern era, vintage or a timely classic? What does he drink, how does he dress? Or are we not picking a scent for a character but an attitude? It may seem pedantic but it is important.

For what it's worth there are a lot of excellent suggestions posted and I'm pleased to see this thread is 4+ pages, not all of the suggestions I would have picked, but then again, they're not for my definition of a refined gentleman; there are also some that I haven't tried that I will now put on my to-test list.

Good point. What a "gentleman" smells like is mostly subjective. And great job using the word pedantic. :001_smile

I would nominate Creed's Tabarome. Tangerine, Bergamot to start going down to ginger, sandalwood and tobacco (among others).

Words that come to mind are rich, full and grand. It was apparently worn by Sir Winston Churchill back in his days among the living.

Top Bottom