What's new

Gentleman. Filson Backpacks.

I know backpacks aren't exactly the "mature" bag to be using as an adult, but its functional. I'm justifying this because I work in a call center, a very casual call center. So casual that if I worked at home and had to webcam peers or clients, pants would be optional. However this office IS downtown and I would like to progress in the company.

I just bought the Filson computer brief, and though its a great bag, I wouldn't want to carry it around on the weekends. What I need to carry is my lunch (of vital importance, I'm 25 and still very much a growing man), my headphones (for transit, they're big over the ear type cans) and the odd folder. The comp-brief fits this all with ease, but until it breaks in, the leather isn't that comfortable, therefore a second bag must be commissioned.

The backpack will be used on the weekends, the odd day hike and the contents listed above. I'm almost certian I'll get the tan, throwing green is TOO MUCH CHOICE (first world problems), though I may end up getting both. I've creeped on this forum long enough, I know its the B&B way.

So without further ado:

The Filson Rucksack

$70262-main-242.jpg$70262-main-341.jpg
Single inner compartment, two outer that are closed via button snap. honestly to me this thing seems secure enough, my city doesn't seem that big on pick pockets but the leather bound on top of the snaps PLUS the tick semi rigid material SHOULD BE ENOUGH. I know the green is gorgeous, but I'm going with the tan....... or will I?

The Filson Tin Cloth backpack

$70017-main-341.jpg $70017-main-242.jpg

This does seem the more secure of the two, I MAY opt for the green in this bag. Physically comparing, both of them seem to carry the same amount of stuff, HOWEVER, this one comes with this nifty detachable inner, tiny, tablet case, seems good for stationary and the like as well. Also worth noting that under the flap uses a draw string to close up vs the zipper with the rucksack. This thing also has a quick access zipper on the left side (which has a button eclosure on top of the zipper) for ...well quick access to the main compartment. This thing also has a small pocket under the flap, secured by a leather strap (probably wouldn't use this much). This bag is lighter, but its a backpack, a few ounces don't matter much.

Fun fact: I was looking at the Saddleback satchel and classic brief, both more expensive and badass but less functional. The Saddles were rather heavy sitting between 4-8 pounds empty and I don't think it would carry as much. Price aside, I didn't want to waste money on a disposable bag, I wanted something that will age and be practically indestructible. A few hundred dollars on a single bag may be a tad excessive, but it's something I look forward to using daily and its LOW MAINTENANCE.

If it matters how I dress, I tend to be a shirt kind of guy generally with a collar with jeans and chinos. Maybe throw in a sweater or a cardigan and ON occasion a bowtie. No suits yet and even without I think I'm dressing above what is expected of me.

Thanks advance for all the advice =) and please pardon the long post and the giant pictures.

Honestly, they're all very nice, almost business office looking backpacks. Pick the one that complements your style the best. I don't see where you can go wrong with any of them - and I'm not a backpack person.

Filson bags were made to survive Alaskan conditions. You may wear them with yuppiewear, but they're originally intended to be bashed around on horseback by loggers, miners and similar types.

Realistically, you may eventually wear the bag out when you're 70.

I'm hard on equipment and have used good quality stuff all over the world. If I had to go hard use but low key civilian looking stuff (most of mine is nylon and military), Filson would still get the nod in a lot of cases.

Filson bags were made to survive Alaskan conditions. You may wear them with yuppiewear, but they're originally intended to be bashed around on horseback by loggers, miners and similar types.

Realistically, you may eventually wear the bag out when you're 70.

I'm hard on equipment and have used good quality stuff all over the world. If I had to go hard use but low key civilian looking stuff (most of mine is nylon and military), Filson would still get the nod in a lot of cases.

After reading this, I don't think I'm very hard on my gear at all. These will fit the bill great.

Thanks for the suggestions and input guys =)

I think the first bag is made from exactly the same material as your computer brief. I have the brief in green and it's fantastic. I didn't think I would like the green until I saw one in "real life." Here is a picture of my bag:

$photo (10).jpg

Both bags look great. You can't go wrong with Filson. I prefer the first bag, but that's just my opinion.

Blueprint: both are nice bgs. I have had several Filson bags which I started acquiring 20+ years ago, and have admired their backpacks for many years. I have not seen the second style Neil now so can't speak to it in comparison to the first, however, IF this one is as appears in the pics it looks to be a bit more flexible which would be nice. I have the brief bag shown by eliev and think the rucksack might be a bit bulky with the same number of layers of canvas and leather. FWIW - I just recently added a Saddleback front pocket backpack to my stable and am very happy with it, and am finding it more supple than expected. My vote would be for #2 on your list for the supple/comfort factor, but that is one guy's opinion. Oh, and I like the green best - wish they had offered green when i started collecting these bags! Best of luck deciding! Enjoy!

Blueprint: both are nice bgs. I have had several Filson bags which I started acquiring 20+ years ago, and have admired their backpacks for many years. I have not seen the second style Neil now so can't speak to it in comparison to the first, however, IF this one is as appears in the pics it looks to be a bit more flexible which would be nice. I have the brief bag shown by eliev and think the rucksack might be a bit bulky with the same number of layers of canvas and leather. FWIW - I just recently added a Saddleback front pocket backpack to my stable and am very happy with it, and am finding it more supple than expected. My vote would be for #2 on your list for the supple/comfort factor, but that is one guy's opinion. Oh, and I like the green best - wish they had offered green when i started collecting these bags! Best of luck deciding! Enjoy!

Good point about the first backpack probably being bulky. The brief is quite a heavy bag as canvas bags go.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The tin cloth should offer more water-proofiness ... if you live in Seattle or somewhere rainy that may be of importance.

(I prefer the tan myself.)

I use the green rucksack and haven't had any issues with things dropping out or security. Filson's really good stuff - jackets, belts, and duffel bags.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Filson's really good stuff - jackets, belts, and duffel bags.

A long-standing, quality brand that recently "went yuppie" ... or maybe "went hipster" ... well, "went" something fashion-y, and moved most of its production off-shore. Quality suffered. Some stuff (IIRC, Filson now has a "made in the USA" button on its webesite that will show you what is still made in the US) is still made domestically ... IIRC, the luggage (Most of it anyhow) IS.

(I bear no grudge against the foreign workers in Bangladesh or China or wherever who make the majority of the items ... it's the factory management & the contracting companies who set the quality levels and production speed ... 'make twenty units an hour, twelve stitches an inch instead of twenty, yada yada yada." Hey, we all love our Saddleback, and nobody complains that it's made in Mexico ... but my Mexican Levi's are a shadow of the old "made in Canada" ones I used to be able to get.)

I live in Vancouver, which does tend to rain, (Vancouver in Canada is three hours north of Seattle) a lot. I think I'll get the green in whichever I decide on. I want to see how it ages vs the tan. (In hindsight, maybe I should have gotten the comp brief in green and then the backpack in tan, OH WELL). Regardless of whatever I pick, I'm rather confident it'll survive urban living =D.

Anybody else got pictures!?!

I'm curious of how real people use this stuff as it gets softer and ugly (in a good sense of course).

Here's my 257. I thought I've had it for three years, but the receipt says two. It feels like I've had it forever. It's my daily carry bag during the week and I've used it for overnighters on weekends. It has been everywhere, from mundane walking to the office in the rain to exploring the souks of Marrakech in the summer heat.

You can see the leather is just starting to break in. Absolutely no wear at the major stress points (zipper, strap mounts, top flap).

Kinda dingy on the backside. I may give it a light washing with water and a scrub brush, but it isn't that bad yet. Maybe next summer.

A long-standing, quality brand that recently "went yuppie" ... or maybe "went hipster" ... well, "went" something fashion-y, and moved most of its production off-shore. Quality suffered. Some stuff (IIRC, Filson now has a "made in the USA" button on its webesite that will show you what is still made in the US) is still made domestically ... IIRC, the luggage (Most of it anyhow) IS.

(I bear no grudge against the foreign workers in Bangladesh or China or wherever who make the majority of the items ... it's the factory management & the contracting companies who set the quality levels and production speed ... 'make twenty units an hour, twelve stitches an inch instead of twenty, yada yada yada." Hey, we all love our Saddleback, and nobody complains that it's made in Mexico ... but my Mexican Levi's are a shadow of the old "made in Canada" ones I used to be able to get.)

I'll complain that Saddleback is made in Mexico.

Filson was honest about it, discussed it, and then decided to continue making some items in the US. I'm a hardcore Filson fan, absolutely love their stuff, but I'm not buying Filson gear/apparel that is made overseas.

When I have the opportunity to buy "Made in USA" I'll do it.

Regarding the original question --- the backpack looks great, but buckles look like they might be a pain. If they don't bother you, that's a backpack you'll be giving to your grandchildren.

Their rucksack is styled on the classic German/Euro model. Not exactly designed to be rapid entry, but very, very secure.

Thanks for the pics =) I wanted to know as the leather softens is the strap more comfortable? Because as of now its rather stiff and I still haven't found that "sweet spot" yet HENCE the rucksack. Still looks... rather new !

as for goby's comment:
The buckles are exactly why I want this thing, security. As for daily, I'll likely keep a folder, tablet and lunch in there. Front pockets for phone and wallet and keys. Then its for day hikes + likely traveling companion. There are a lot of pick pockets, most notably China (I'm chinese) India and France. The buckles and heavy canvas (hard to cut with a small razor blade) which may discourage SOME theives. I can also carry my documents about with that bit of peace of mind. But thank you for the heads up, it did cross my mind. I'm a total nerd, I must research EVERYTHING and be confident, I personally don't like having to second guess my purchases go through the pain of returning it. I've handled these bags before making the jump, thankfully we Canadians get the short end of retail BUT WE AT LEAST HAVE FILSON.

ps. I just got my 2013 r41. No weepers, pretty close shave BUT I used a red personna, likely will need something sharper =)

I live in Vancouver, which does tend to rain, (Vancouver in Canada is three hours north of Seattle) a lot. I think I'll get the green in whichever I decide on. I want to see how it ages vs the tan. (In hindsight, maybe I should have gotten the comp brief in green and then the backpack in tan, OH WELL). Regardless of whatever I pick, I'm rather confident it'll survive urban living =D.

Anybody else got pictures!?!

I'm curious of how real people use this stuff as it gets softer and ugly (in a good sense of course).

Top Bottom