What's new

Gender Bias Holiday

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Considering that Mr. Rooney was married some sixty-something years, I doubt he practiced his curmudgeonly preaching.

Holiday conversations at our house, including most Christmas's and birthdays.

It could be me or me wife that initiates the following conversation:
Spouse #1: "I didn't get you a card or gift for (insert any holiday)".
Spouse #2: "That's ok. I didn't get you one either".
Spouse #1: "Whew. Good".

We gave up buying gifts the other didn't need or want years ago. For Christmas or birthdays, we buy what we want and give it to the other person to wrap. This past Christmas, my wife gave me a lighted, Red Dragon keyboard that I wanted (and ordered) and I gave her make-up or some expensive cream she wanted (and bought). We were both happy to get what we wanted come Christmas morning.

The only day of the year that the two of us "celebrate" (still no cards) and go out to dinner is the anniversary of the day we met. It's 51 years tomorrow and we decided on a nice steak dinner this year.

As the old saying goes: My wife and I being married to each other are making 2 other people very happy.

Edit: We decided to celebrate the day we met instead of our wedding anniversary 20 months later, because no one but us knows or remembers the day we met, so we can celebrate in private without kids, relatives or friends wanting to join us.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Holiday conversations at our house, including most Christmas's and birthdays.

It could be me or me wife that initiates the following conversation:
Spouse #1: "I didn't get you a card or gift for (insert any holiday)".
Spouse #2: "That's ok. I didn't get you one either".
Spouse #1: "Whew. Good".

We gave up buying gifts the other didn't need or want years ago. For Christmas or birthdays, we buy what we want and give it to the other person to wrap. This past Christmas, my wife gave me a lighted, Red Dragon keyboard that I wanted (and ordered) and I gave her make-up or some expensive cream she wanted (and bought). We were both happy to get what we wanted come Christmas morning.

The only day of the year that the two of us "celebrate" (still no cards) and go out to dinner is the anniversary of the day we met. It's 51 years tomorrow and we decided on a nice steak dinner this year.

As the old saying goes: My wife and I being married to each other are making 2 other people very happy.
Hilarious. My dad always told us "this way you only ruined one marriage." We don't buy each other stuff anymore either. We are cheapskates, but if we want/need something, we go get it. You can count on one hand the number of real arguments we've had, but we're both hard headed and vocal. I literally would not be alive if it were not for the War Department, so you gentlemen have her to blame for me bothering you all so much on B&B.

Here in Japan we have Valentine's Day on February the 14th, when ladies give gifts to male partners, friends, etc. The reciprocal day is called White Day on March the 14th.

Sent from my XT1685 using Tapatalk

Well, i will receive a card. I will give one, plus a heart shaped tin of pistachios... and prepare a seafood risotto, probably shrimp and asparagus.

For those parents wanting to give their grown up daughters a Valentine, please see the SNL skit from this weekend. It's too risqué to post, but it's spot on.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Valentine's day is a holiday? :confused1

SWMBO and I are both on the same page when it comes to seeing it as a commercial event (i.e. a waste of money). For us, it is just a day like any other but that's not a bad thing as we take care of each other every single day.

I've always enjoyed making it into something special, an event, a night when our daughter is not expected home, a night everything stops for the two of us. I'll start planning, combing cookbooks weeks ahead, spend a lot of time planning, shopping and cooking trying to get it just right, make it better, different than the year before. This year time shifting the date into March, need to remember to get a card this week.
Happy holidays guys...
dave

What scents? I may try to have her try it
She loves Stirling's Christmas Tree, Pineapple, and enjoyed a strawberry one. I think she also really liked their orange dream cycle (spelling may be off). She likes my Jon's cucumber melon, but that is one I use. As you can tell, we are both fans of Stirling shave soaps.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

She loves Stirling's Christmas Tree, Pineapple, and enjoyed a strawberry one. I think she also really liked their orange dream cycle (spelling may be off). She likes my Jon's cucumber melon, but that is one I use. As you can tell, we are both fans of Stirling shave soaps.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'll give ...or she will give one of them a try!

Per negotiations with my wife, we're down to cards this year. But I think I'll get her a nice, potted, plant. That's something that will last long after Valentine's Day.

Top Bottom