What's new

Gender Bias Holiday

Please imagine Andy Rooney offering up this rant:

WHY IS IT in this enlightened age when equality for all is the accepted norm, that Valentine's Day is such an unequal holiday?

There is no parity.

Ladies, you know your prescribed obligations consist solely of buying a greeting card + chastising your mate if you are presented with tacky lingerie.

Gentlemen, you know you are in the doghouse if you do not spring for a card + flowers and/or chocolates and maybe dinner, too.

I complain about the unfairness every Valentines Day.. Well, I sort of mumble quietly... while I stir the risotto and broil the filet mignon.

I wasn't sure how serious you intended your question to be. I am a firm believer and supporter of equality, but that only means equal value, not necessarily equal treatment. I am in favor of treating my wife to a special day. We keep things fairly low key, especially since restaurants get crowded, and I fix a nice meal for us. After 27 years of putting up with me, I still think I got the better end of the deal.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, Happy V.D.!

Servers will tell you: don't go out to eat on V.D. and Mother's Day. Bad crowds. Bad service. Take a mulligan and go the next day ...

AA

And the two days you do NOT want to be paying for flowers are February 14th and Mother's Day. The prices go through the roof.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll let the War Department take me out or fix me up some vittles. My gift to her will be to let her choose.

What a lucky girl!

It's not all about romance either. Don't forget your daughters, for those that have them. A small treat and hand written note will provide both immediate gratification and a warm remembrance of the first man who showed them love.

It's not all about romance either. Don't forget your daughters, for those that have them. A small treat and hand written note will provide both immediate gratification and a warm remembrance of the first man who showed them love.
That's a great idea. I have a grown daughter who would melt at something as simple as a small box of chocolates.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'd be happy with just receiving/sending a Valentine's Day card...you know the little one's you used to get when you were in 3rd grade? But today it's a little different, she gets flowers and I get....a steak and lobster. I would say it's biased toward me.

I always feel like the following is about me, but I've gotten better, and so has the missus. We use that period to exchange gifts, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that day anymore.

Down with mother's day!

Down with father's day!

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

Viva la Republic!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Glad I’m single. I don’t celebrate any “Halmark Holidays”. Nor do I go in debt to buy presents for family and friends for any other holidays or birthdays. If you ain’t happy with one or two gifts then get a freaking job and buy the crap for yourself.

If you ain’t happy with me sharing my life with you and telling you and showing you how much I care every day then hit the freaking road. You get special treatment on your birthday and Christmas. So some random day in February I’m supposed to repeat my efforts from your bday and Christmas just because big business needs a boost in sales during the slow season? I’d rather surprise you with random acts throughout the year then to feel a sense of obligation for one day that corporate America has brainwashed us with.

As far as equality on the “holiday” goes. Meh! Life ain’t fair.

Maybe I’ve been single too long! :001_cool:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Glad I’m single. I don’t celebrate any “Halmark Holidays”. Nor do I go in debt to buy presents for family and friends for any other holidays or birthdays. If you ain’t happy with one or two gifts then get a freaking job and buy the crap for yourself.

If you ain’t happy with me sharing my life with you and telling you and showing you how much I care every day then hit the freaking road. You get special treatment on your birthday and Christmas. So some random day in February I’m supposed to repeat my efforts from your bday and Christmas just because big business needs a boost in sales during the slow season? I’d rather surprise you with random acts throughout the year then to feel a sense of obligation for one day that corporate America has brainwashed us with.

As far as equality on the “holiday” goes. Meh! Life ain’t fair.

Maybe I’ve been single too long! :001_cool:
You can't be single too long!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah, Happy V.D.!

Servers will tell you: don't go out to eat on V.D. and Mother's Day. Bad crowds. Bad service. Take a mulligan and go the next day ...AA

upload_2019-1-31_12-47-13.png

It took me three marriages to find my soulmate. New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day are something special for her so I bit the bullet and take her out to eat at her favorite places.

Top Bottom