What's new

Gender Bias Holiday

Seriously, the best relationship advice I can offer to fellas is, "Never stop courting." And flowers are cheaper than divorces.

As the stay at home parent it's been a long time since i collected a paycheck so i have no problem using my allowance to splurge on the best ingredients i can find and cook up a multi course meal for two to savour. It's evolved from just me planning/cooking/serving she never knowing what the menu might be, to a tandem endeavor which has proved to be more fun all 'round. Always on a Saturday night mid-February and only the two of us home, that part may not work out this year... call it off.
dave

Please imagine Andy Rooney offering up this rant:

WHY IS IT in this enlightened age when equality for all is the accepted norm, that Valentine's Day is such an unequal holiday?

There is no parity.

Ladies, you know your prescribed obligations consist solely of buying a greeting card + chastising your mate if you are presented with tacky lingerie.

Gentlemen, you know you are in the doghouse if you do not spring for a card + flowers and/or chocolates and maybe dinner, too.

I complain about the unfairness every Valentines Day.. Well, I sort of mumble quietly... while I stir the risotto and broil the filet mignon.

When I was dating my wife, we both exchanged little gifts on Valentine's Day. This continued through the second decade of our marriage. Now? Maybe a card, and some flowers.

As for a dinner, we tried to do that when we were dating. The long lines at the better restaurants killed that.

It's not all about romance either. Don't forget your daughters, for those that have them. A small treat and hand written note will provide both immediate gratification and a warm remembrance of the first man who showed them love.

I love my wife and daughters, so I don't care about equality/inequality in some things. Valentine's Day is a day to treat them special and I do. Daughter and granddaughters have always gotten flowers from me. My youngest grandaughter was born on January 22, 2016. On Valentines Day of that year, she had flowers in her crib for her.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love my wife and daughters, so I don't care about equality/inequality in some things. Valentine's Day is a day to treat them special and I do. Daughter and granddaughters have always gotten flowers from me. My youngest grandaughter was born on January 22, 2016. On Valentines Day of that year, she had flowers in her crib for her.
Yep, love the females in your life, or rest assured that someone else will. Girls don't stay young forever.

FarmerTan

As the stay at home parent it's been a long time since i collected a paycheck so i have no problem using my allowance to splurge on the best ingredients i can find and cook up a multi course meal for two to savour. It's evolved from just me planning/cooking/serving she never knowing what the menu might be, to a tandem endeavor which has proved to be more fun all 'round. Always on a Saturday night mid-February and only the two of us home, that part may not work out this year... call it off.
dave
I was the stay at home dad for the first 3 years of my son's life. Wouldn't trade that for ANYTHING.

FarmerTan

It's not all about romance either. Don't forget your daughters, for those that have them. A small treat and hand written note will provide both immediate gratification and a warm remembrance of the first man who showed them love.
This. For sure.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Please imagine Andy Rooney offering up this rant:

WHY IS IT in this enlightened age when equality for all is the accepted norm, that Valentine's Day is such an unequal holiday?

There is no parity.

Ladies, you know your prescribed obligations consist solely of buying a greeting card + chastising your mate if you are presented with tacky lingerie.

Gentlemen, you know you are in the doghouse if you do not spring for a card + flowers and/or chocolates and maybe dinner, too.

I complain about the unfairness every Valentines Day.. Well, I sort of mumble quietly... while I stir the risotto and broil the filet mignon.

Your ignoring same sex marriages.

Also, gender neutral. Can there be gender bias if no gender is recognized?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
On the other hand, a lot of us guys don’t show our spouse how much we appreciate them enough. I wouldn’t be where I’m at without mine.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
On the other hand, a lot of us guys don’t show our spouse how much we appreciate them enough. I wouldn’t be where I’m at without mine.

We don't pay a lot of attention to Valentines day or birthdays. We try to make everyday as special as possible for each other.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I work in retail and with the stock that we receive from head office it is always devoted to the fairer sex. I would suggest that it would be as high as 80% of stock is dedicated to the female. LOTH and I just give each other a card and normally just have a decent takeaway meal at home.

Last edited:
In Japan, women/girls give chocolate to men/boys on valentines day. Either "giri-choco" or "honmei-choco", depending on who they are giving it to. Guys aren't off the hook though. On March 14th, "White Day", the guys are expected to return the favor to those that gave them chocolate.

Here in the U.S. it seems to be just another consumerist holiday for the benefit of retailers and manufacturers.

Top Bottom